RHCP thread : do u think of them as serious musicians or not ?
Jun 27, 2005 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I like BSSM and One Hot Minute on casual listening , and some of their late release ( The Zephir Song for ex. ) but I still didn't get so much on them to get other albums... mainly also because I discovered another funky album from another funky band I like a bit more so probably getting their line instead .. ([size=xx-small] PORK SODA from Primus
very_evil_smiley.gif
is the album which eventually stole my attention [/size])

what do you think about them ? worth something / worth nothing ?

flames allowed

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 18
I would definatley consider them serious musicians. They have some GREAT songs and just like every other band have some not so great songs. They are miles and miles and miles and...ahead of all this pop crap that is out now that are getting more radioplay then they did but that's just because the music scene now is rediculous. All these britney spears and n'sync and backstreet boy crap is flooding the airwaves and that's all you hear.

Ok, there's my rant...somebody elses turn.

(oh yeah, Primus is awesome!! Check out Les Claypool-Highballin with the Devil, I liked it even more than all the Primus albums.)

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 18
Good musicans (Flea is considered one of the best rock bassists working) with an absolutely crappy singer and pathetic lyrics. Get rid of Kiedis and they may have something...

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 18
Go buy "blood sugar sex magic" RIGHT NOW. It is easily one of my favorite albums of the last 15 years. So much passion and beauty.

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 18
OLD Red Hot Chilli Peppers were serious musicians. Not the guys we know today as RHCP - no way, not in the slightest chance.

I think Flea should go solo. He's an amazing musician, and how he got stuck with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is beyond me.

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 18
One of the most overrated bands in existance. Worth nothing (IMHO).
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 18
Under the bridge was quite a good song. I like them in general, even the pathetic singer.
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
OLD Red Hot Chilli Peppers were serious musicians. Not the guys we know today as RHCP - no way, not in the slightest chance.

I think Flea should go solo. He's an amazing musician, and how he got stuck with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is beyond me.

You know, the comparison of old vs new is incredibly weak with RHCP. Many bands change their sound as they progress through the years, it's called "evolving." Some bands progress (or morph) into something that turns off many of their older fans (read: Metallica) while others stick to their formula (read: RHCP). RHCP is one of those bands that has evolved and has taken some risks but i think they have adopted a sound that is still just as unique and refreshing as the band you knew them as RHCP from the 80's and early 90's, i'm assuming that's "old" to you. Regardless, the band has reinvigorated themselves with Californication and continued to progress into the album "By the way," which is my favorite album of theirs.

Why?

Simple...I can listen to the entire cd beginning to end without having the urge to skip a track. I can enjoy every single song and find myself tapping my foot to every song and have a grin on my face. There's no filler in "By the way" unlike past albums. If i listen to their older albums, i find myself skipping half the tracks because, well, i find them too abrasive or just flat out boring.

Naturally, all imho.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 18
Flea is one bad mother - I forgot the name of the competition, but there is a major bass player festival/competition that all the hardcore bass players end up competing at. Victor Wooten usually ends up winning because he is an alien (ummm, Night in Tunisia, 4 parts, with just a bass? sheesh), but Flea always ends up somewhere near the top, he's got great timing and feel, with some good chops to boot, the one thing i like about him is that he doesn't overplay, he knows his role and fits within it quite nicely. A good example of this is with the Mars Volta, 1st vs. 2nd album. Flea is on the 1st album - bass lines are quick, simple, linear, he lays the foundation as pure as possible and has a great groove, which allows the other players to reall fly and improvise. The 2nd bass player really overplays, tries to show off his chops too much, which i noticed when i saw them live as well.

Vive la flea - schweet

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
In response to that:

The singer's voice is disgusting
biggrin.gif

Of course, all IMHO
wink.gif
tongue.gif

hehe.

In comparison to what though? I think Anthony Keidis' vocals fit the band like a glove and i cannot imagine the band having a different front man.

He sure does need to work on his live performance though. He just seems out of breath.

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
You know, the comparison of old vs new is incredibly weak with RHCP. Many bands change their sound as they progress through the years, it's called "evolving." Some bands progress (or morph) into something that turns off many of their older fans (read: Metallica) while others stick to their formula (read: RHCP). RHCP is one of those bands that has evolved and has taken some risks but i think they have adopted a sound that is still just as unique and refreshing as the band you knew them as RHCP from the 80's and early 90's, i'm assuming that's "old" to you. Regardless, the band has reinvigorated themselves with Californication and continued to progress into the album "By the way," which is my favorite album of theirs.

Why?

Simple...I can listen to the entire cd beginning to end without having the urge to skip a track. I can enjoy every single song and find myself tapping my foot to every song and have a grin on my face. There's no filler in "By the way" unlike past albums. If i listen to their older albums, i find myself skipping half the tracks because, well, i find them too abrasive or just flat out boring.

Naturally, all imho.

Don't you find "Californication " hard to listen to with headphones. The disc is so compressed it sounds like he's singing through a blown speaker/mic. There's so much crackly and distortion.

Personally I've listened to them since "Uplift Mofo Pary Plan" and I prefer everything up to "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik". How come when bands like RHCP and Metallica "evolve" the always become radio commmercial friendly and that sound nothing like they originally did?

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138
Don't you find "Californication " hard to listen to with headphones. The disc is so compressed...

Personally I've listened to them since "Uplift Mofo Pary Plan" and I prefer everything up to "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik". How come when bands like RHCP and Metallica "evolve" the always become radio commmercial friendly and that sound nothing like they originally did?

Yep... & yep.

Californication was so compressed... I don't think I've heard any major release more terribly compressed.

And I too liked all early Chili Peppers up through BSSM. They took some authentic funk & R&B styles in new directions.... adding punk, advant-garde, & rock. Even One Hot Minute is great, compared to anything after it. Starting with Californication, they sound so generic... every song sounds like it came from a pop music machine... and could have just as easily been done by Aerosmith. They definitely lost what made them unique & special many years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back