RHCP, sound like 32kbit mp3?
Oct 8, 2002 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WillSmoke

New Head-Fier
32 kbit may be exagerating, but has anyone noticed the extremely poor sound quality on Red Hot Chili Peppers' later ablums. Could this be a problem with my headphones... the sound is bad on my beyer 250-80s, and only slightly improved on my amplified ety4s. Just a basic description of the problem. The sound lacks definition, the bass is poor and unstable, and highs are just painful. It basically sounds like low quality mp3s or a poor (very poor) speaker set, this being at any volume. If anyone knows what causes this, or what to do to make it sound crisp, it would be much appreciated, for they are one of my favorite bands. Note, this is coming off the cd so it isnt a problem in the transition to mp3 format.

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes RHCP albums are terribly compressed (dynamic range). They sound no better on CD then they do on FM radio...in fact they probably sound better on FM radio because radio stations tend to add dynamics with processors and such. Either choose a new favorite band
very_evil_smiley.gif
, or don't bother to buy their CD's because it'll sound just as good if not better on radio.

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Californication sounds awful, but i read that some folks thought the latest album sounds good, i didn't think so personally, you can hear tape hiss on it! The earlier stuff sounds MUCH better IMHO.

Oct 8, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
It's a sign -- nevermind the new stuff; stay with BSSM and before.

kerely

Not you again
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 8
I have not had a chance to hear the new album, but would have to agree, "californication" is one of the worst sounding albums I own, couldn't tell you why or how to fix the problem though....

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Has anyone compared the sound on their CD albums with the vinyl pressings? I saw their latest one on vinyl at my local shop, tempting....
Andrew

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by insanefred
Has anyone compared the sound on their CD albums with the vinyl pressings? I saw their latest one on vinyl at my local shop, tempting....
Andrew

I have Californication on double vinyl, sounds a bit better but still sounds compressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back