Rhapsodio thread
Oct 16, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #1,591 of 2,203
So... I have spent some quality time with the Orla and I must say I am definitely impressed... first technically it punches well above its price point, the resolution is impressive and I found timbre to be quite accurate in fact not that warm at least on the DX220 and even N6ii for that matter. I expected the Orla to be harder to drive with the 32ohm and 96dB sensitivity but I found myself sticking to medium gain on the N6ii and 40/45 volume on a 100 (keep in mind I am a low volume listener though).

I burned the Orla in over a 120 hours and the bass is now tight, controlled with snappy attack and fairly quick decay for a dynamic driver. The upper bass is not emphasized and it's more of an audiophile bass to me than a fat bass radiating warmth accross the signature. Similarly, lower mids are fairly balanced and overall I found the mids to be slightly north of neutral but just enough to be natural sounding I wouldn't peg them as warm. Lower treble has good energy but there is restraint as well and I think the Orla really is more about upper treble where I was quite surprised by the extension and refinement up top. As I said this brings a fair amount of air although the mono driver conveys a sense of a unified continuum accross the frequency range. Resolution is nothing short of impressive, and a huge suprise to me that it reaches that level at this price point. I dare say it's up to par with the best 1K+ IEMs only bested by resolution focused top offerings. Soundstage is not huge but very coherent and imaging is very very good as well.

But let's forget technicalities, the Orla is very musical to my ears.

I confess I expected a warmer and bassier signature but I would put it in the natural reference category and found myself picking a lot of Jazz and a bit of classical and enjoying it a lot with the Orla. On genres like Rock I found myself wishing for more kick on the bass and bite on electric guitars, as well as more lower mids but that's personnal preference or maybe I have listened too much to the FIBAE7 and my ear is skewed towards warmer and fuller signatures :p

Review in progress so expect much more detailed impressions :)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #1,592 of 2,203
I posted this in the Flinkernick shoutout thread but wanted to post hear also for those not following that thread:

I want to piggy back off of @SeeSax and his introduction in the Flinkernick thread to the new Rhapsodio Zombie mk2 IEM and give some of my thoughts on this new IEM from Sammy. In my opinion @Solarsammy has created another winner. I is a very very grown up Zombie. I am still recovering from the black outs after each Zombie session. One time I woke up in the middle of a Wim Wembers movie after a Zombie session.

The Zombie mk2 uses a 10mm DD that is full range (Sammy does DD right). And 2 EST drivers for the super highs. It has a 2 way crossover. It will retail for $1600.

It has a sub bass appropriate thump that is super engaging and present and really moves into the mid bass also. The ESTs are very present and provide a very unique and very special highs. There is a lot of detail throughout. This detail is what I am loving the most. The doubter side was expecting too much of a splashy bass, too much of a U signature with some sparkle ESTs thrown on top. And I threw a lot of money Sammy's way with those doubts :) Hi-Fi Vegas at its best.

Well I was very wrong. The Zombie mk2 has the needed coherency. It has a tight bass that is slightly elevated but so adult like with a touch of fun. No childish splashing happening.

Speaking of splashing the treble is also so detailed but not annoying. We are not playing in the pool with this one.

My greatest joy of this one is that the mids do not disappoint. The vocals are right there with everything else. My love of acoustic guitar is heard lovingly. I personally need mids to exist. I still would say that these have a slight U shape. I am still figuring that out.

I love Sammy's DDs. And then he added the EST top end for an added specialness.

About the same size as the Solar. Excellent fit. As good as I have experienced.

@SeeSax is there anything else that I am missing that you want to add in this thread about the Zombie mk2?

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,593 of 2,203
How does Zombie Mk2 compare to Shiva? Seems like a similar setup

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #1,595 of 2,203
How does Zombie Mk2 compare to Shiva? Seems like a similar setup
I do not know the Shiva but I can say the Zmk2 is warm but with detail. No analytical coldness going on. I like the Katana a lot for example but the Zmk2 is a very different version of detail due to the added warmth.

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,597 of 2,203
what kind of sound does the infinity have?

From my e-earphone article:

"Rhapsodio Infinity: Wow! What a powerful sound! The Infinity displays outstanding dynamic energy, with instruments that punch like nothing I’ve ever heard before. Imagine the power and authority of a DD-driven bass, but throughout the entire frequency response! Instruments are full-bodied, physical, dense and warm, but there’s a forcefulness propelling them from the Infinity’s pitch-black background onto the very front of the soundscape- akin to a theatre sound system.

However, it’s never short on headroom either. Genuine, extension-driven depth maintains that dynamism for a long stretch of time. The treble is articulate, sparkly and clean, but always inoffensive. This is certainly a bass-driven monitor, but vocal melody is prominent as well. All in all, the Infinity sports an extremely impactful sound – almost like someone’s very politely whacking huge, looming instruments at the sides of your head. It’s loud and proud, but firmly authoritative all throughout. The price is steep, and I don’t expect it to be everyone’s cup of tea. But one-of-a-kind, it very certainly is."

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,598 of 2,203
From my e-earphone article:

"Rhapsodio Infinity: Wow! What a powerful sound! The Infinity displays outstanding dynamic energy, with instruments that punch like nothing I’ve ever heard before. Imagine the power and authority of a DD-driven bass, but throughout the entire frequency response! Instruments are full-bodied, physical, dense and warm, but there’s a forcefulness propelling them from the Infinity’s pitch-black background onto the very front of the soundscape- akin to a theatre sound system.

However, it’s never short on headroom either. Genuine, extension-driven depth maintains that dynamism for a long stretch of time. The treble is articulate, sparkly and clean, but always inoffensive. This is certainly a bass-driven monitor, but vocal melody is prominent as well. All in all, the Infinity sports an extremely impactful sound – almost like someone’s very politely whacking huge, looming instruments at the sides of your head. It’s loud and proud, but firmly authoritative all throughout. The price is steep, and I don’t expect it to be everyone’s cup of tea. But one-of-a-kind, it very certainly is."
Between the Infinity and the Zombie, which one has more subbass? timbral quality doesn't matter for now

I'm seriously considering the Zombie for its big V shape

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #1,599 of 2,203
Between the Infinity and the Zombie, which one has more subbass? timbral quality doesn't matter for now

Haven’t heard the Zombie, unfortunately, but I’d venture a guess and say that it’s the bassier of the two.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #1,600 of 2,203

I have only heard the Zombie and only the first version of those, there is now a mkII, and the Zombie have "moar bass" galore. I referred to the tuning as "marmite" because it will not be to everyone's liking, but I absolutely loved it. They were super fun and I have missed them ever since I did the review. There is a more balanced mkII version now, @SLC1966 describes them a few posts back and @SeeSax described them in the shootout thread as well. I'll quote that post here so you don't have to search for it...
All that said, my turn for some preview photos :)

Sammy from Rhapsodio gave the go ahead to post about the newest: Zombie mk2! This time, it's a refined Zombie that also shares some DNA with the first version in that it's a fun listen, but overall much more mature. It is a single DD with two estat tweeters in a familiar Rhapsodio shell that is super comfortable. It is a cleaner sound with more of a focus on sub-bass than the original and much less mid-bass enveloping the whole signature. Treble is sparkly, but smooth from those tweeters. Overall I hear it to be much more balanced and less "bass head" in its tuning. Lots of listening left to do, but early impressions have me loving it. Here are some photos, along with the new "Evolution" series copper cable.

There has been mention (and agreement) on a tour from Sammy on these and I believe @Barra is in the works on that. Hopefully Sammy is going ahead with that and making it happen because I know many folks would enjoy a listen of these.

Cheers,

-Collin-

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,602 of 2,203

Are you referring to the Zombie Mk2 or original Zombie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back