RHA T10i Tour & Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #166 of 474
Getting the T10 review ready.

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. 

Oh, and it is to my understanding that some people didn't enjoy it as much as others, but I would still prefer it if you posted some short impressions. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #168 of 474
I received a loaner pair from shotgunshane.  I'm going to get my review out shortly.  It's long over due.  Briefly, I prefer the build of the T10i but I find the overall sound coming from the Sony MHC1 more appealing, definitely more suitable across multiple genres for me.  The T10i signature is not to my liking.  The T10i is too dark or excessively warm.  With the reference or treble filters this is somewhat better but I don't think such compensation is enough.   There is a lack of air and transparency, which are high on my list of qualities an IEM must have.  To me, there is a sort of veil due to the lack of treble sparkle and excessive warmth.  

Like anything, it boils down to preference and I definitely think there is an audience for these IEMs.  I primarily listen to jazz, acoustic guitar, reggae, and some classic rock.  For jazz and classical lovers, the T10i might not be for you.  Take this with a grain of salt as I lean towards a light IEM.  I can enjoy a bass-centric IEM, but I cannot sacrifice air and the veil is too much for me.  

I can afford both the Sony MHC1 and the T10i so I can take cost out of the equation.  The MHC1 is an IEM that suits more of my needs.  As background, my favorite IEMs to date are the ASG-2.5 and Heir Audio 4Ai.  My favorite headphones are the HD-800 and PS-500.  The T10i will not discourage me from trying other RHA products.  It's just that the T10i sound is not for me.  I suspect there will be many different opinion camps on the T10i because it is so leaning in one direction.

Quote:
Thanks anybody else care to give there opinion?

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #169 of 474
Thanks so much for the great answer probably should have said I listen to different types of EDM and hip hop rap would that change anything? what would you recommend as a step up to the MH1C sound wise?

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #170 of 474
I didn't try them with hip hop and EDM as they are not my main genres.  The bass on the T10i was abundant, but I didn't feel it was bloated or one-note bass.  Plenty of rumble or sub bass.  I imagine the T10i is good for those genres as long as you are fine with the dark signature.  At this price range, the T10i is likely a good basshead IEM.  I haven't really owned many basshead IEMs.  I had the Heir Audio 5.0 which probably had some of the best bass in regards to impact and sub-bass.  Still was a little too warm for me, especially with the portable rig I had at the time which was already warmish.  DAC + amp combination may also influence your experience.  I listened to the T10i with either my iP6+ or iFi DSD Micro which are not overly warm in my opinion.    

I've been lately listening to the NHT Superbud with its dual dynamic drivers and is less than $100.  Very good deep bass without sacrificing as much in regards to air or the highs when compared to T10i.  Less mid-bass than T10i which is what I prefer.  If you want less tilt to bass then consider the NHT.  If you want the ultimate bass experience then the T10i is worth a try.  I've only had the NHT for a couple days so I'm still figuring it out.  For me, the T10i can be fun with its bass and some music genres.  It doesn't work well for me for jazz and acoustic performances.  If I still had it I would check it out for hip hop and EDM for you.

Quote:
  Thanks so much for the great answer probably should have said I listen to different types of EDM and hip hop rap would that change anything? what would you recommend as a step up to the MH1C sound wise?

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #171 of 474
Once again thanks for being so helpful unfortunately I cant get the earphones you mentioned (I live in Ireland) the reason I was looking at the t10i is there build quality and 3 year warranty they are also based in the UK and have said there is a 30 day return time if you are not happy with the sound. For the genres of music I listen to do you think they would be good? how is the soundstage and overall clarity? Are vocals clear or does the bass over power them? Sorry about all the questions and thanks again

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #172 of 474
With that type of return policy I don't think you can go wrong because for some people the T10i will be just right.  I can only speak for myself.  I didn't find anything significantly wrong with the soundstage.  Midrange wasn't recessed with at least the treble and reference filters.  I probably should have spent more time with the bass filter but it really wasn't my cup of tea.  Overall, the signature was too dark for me so it was hard for me to enjoy vocals or any of the music I listen to.  The tonal quality just wasn't to my liking.  But again, if you have the opportunity to try them with the generous return policy then I think it is worth a try.  And then report here what you think.

Quote:
  Once again thanks for being so helpful unfortunately I cant get the earphones you mentioned (I live in Ireland) the reason I was looking at the t10i is there build quality and 3 year warranty they are also based in the UK and have said there is a 30 day return time if you are not happy with the sound. For the genres of music I listen to do you think they would be good? how is the soundstage and overall clarity? Are vocals clear or does the bass over power them? Sorry about all the questions and thanks again

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #173 of 474
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Is being a Jack of all trades and Master of none really a bad thing?

Firstly thank you to RHA and Lin0003 for organizing the tour of the T10i as this was one IEM I was anticipating hotly after owning the MA750 and loving its sound. RHA has been impressive so far so the T10i carries a huge burden on its steel shoulders. So without much ado lets get into the review.

Packaging: Great as always with RHA and reminiscent of the MA750. Nice big box with plenty of tips and the three filters that lead me to the days when a Discman/Minidisc/Phone used to come with a plethora of accessories and it was an occasion to unwrap those unlike the Apples/Samsungs of today with just the phone,battery and a usb cable. A solid 10/10 for the packaging.

Build quality: RHA is known for its build quality and suffice to say the T10 carries on the tradition faithfully with its steel enclosures for the drivers , strain relief on the earphones and similar on the plug. All the bits exude solidity including the mic/volume buttons and I guess they fully justify the cost of these IEMs. The cable is pretty strong too and works with the reliefs to keep these ticking on.The soft case provided is a nice touch too with very soft materials and a classy finish.

Sound: Now onto the meat of the matter as all of the above attributes would be wasted if they didn't sound great. So how do they sound?

Well lets break it down then:

Treble: The treble on the T10 is very controlled and has plenty of sparkle without pushing into tinnitus territory. The IEMs have a warm signature so the treble doesn't dominate the scene and comes into action when called upon. Cymbals crash and decay decently fast and top end sparkle is under control at all times. Even after experimenting with the treble filter, the treble was always smooth and pleasant and a joy to listen to.

Midrange: This section of the T10 is something that changes very heavily with the type of filter used and with the bass filter there was a bit of bleed into the mids, nothing unpleasant but it does show how quickly the T10 can change character and turn on a dime.The standard filter brings things into perspective and the mids clear up with a nice smooth presentation and female vocals sounding fantastic without the typical sssssss sound that a lot of IEMs exhibit in female vocals.The treble filter however gave the best presentation as now the mids came into full play and seemed to have a slightly 3D characteristic to them. Great to listen to for any and all vocals.

Bass: The T10 does a Mr Hyde here and unleashes its evil (and highly likeable) side. The bass is fantastic and possesses a very nice rumble or punch depending on the kind of music being played.
Listening to bass heavy music with the treble filter kept the bass in check with a nice smooth punch and the standard filter turned up the bass a bit more.Putting on the bass filter suddenly unleashes the inner beast and when paired with a good amp the bass can be monstrous and oh so satisfying. The punch is hard and fast, no doubt aided by the dynamic driver and the rigid steel enclosure and when there's a rumble while watching a movie, the T10 bring a smile on your face again as the drivers digs deep and brings it all without missing a beat.

The two major factors besides the filters that can affect the T10s sound is tips and amplification as running it off a phone resulted in pretty average performance while putting an amp in the equation tightened up everything and gave it a sense of coherency and balance. The Arrow 4G and the Cayin C5 definitely met its needs very well while the Note 4 gave an average presentation simply because it couldn't power them properly.The tips also make a huge difference as bigger tips seem to clear these up a bit while smaller tips again messed with the sound. The tip sizes are in relation to my ears so YMMV.

To conclude, the RHA T10i definitely has a tilt towards the warmer side but with diligent usage of filters you can change its nature to suit your music so no matter if you listen to classical or techno, the T10 will perform admirably in all situations with just a switch of its filters. I tried it with a fixed set of tracks I use to gain a proper perspective and the T10 rarely if ever was found lacking in a particular area and considering its overall package such as the build, accessories,filters and RHAs customer service it is definitely something to consider in its price range and
a great deal at its current price.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #176 of 474
Well build.  Looks great.  Lot of tips included.  A bit dark and muddy for my taste, even with the Treble filters.  I have the opportunity to grab it at $120 (wish list discount) but I'll pass.  RHA t20i with a bit of midrange and fuller sound signature like the Senn Momentum In-Ear perhaps?

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #177 of 474
As someone who got to be a part of the shotgunshane RHA T10i loaner program I promised to write up my thoughts on the T10i.  Sorry for the delay.  Thanks again for allowing me to hear it.  Happy New Year.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-t10i/reviews/12260

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #178 of 474
Hey how does the warranty work. I got this as a Christmas present and have no reciept or proof when it was bought?  I read the website and they seem pretty strict with this ? But what if it was given as a gift ? And i assume you have to send it to the Uk for repairs ? 

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #179 of 474
As part of SGS's tour I've posted my review. http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-t10i/reviews/12293

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #180 of 474
  Hey how does the warranty work. I got this as a Christmas present and have no reciept or proof when it was bought?  I read the website and they seem pretty strict with this ? But what if it was given as a gift ? And i assume you have to send it to the Uk for repairs ? 

Hey Jerryberry! How are you finding the T10i?

In regards to warranty, in the event of any issue with the product, the team are pretty good with those who are unable to provide proof of purchase and can usually find a suitable arrangement for repair or replacement. It's the same process, essentially, but there are some additional steps to verify product authenticity.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back