Rewiring the new Sennheiser HD201s
Jan 6, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
may I ask what made you decide that a $20 pair of cans should be rewired?
smily_headphones1.gif

You would have done the same right RnB?
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 37
It's roughly 10' long, I figured I could always make it shorter but longer might be an issue
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to them right now out of my Headroom Millett and it's a sweet sounding set of cans for sure. No business costing $20, even with the recable they still only cost me $35
biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the tutorial, now if you could just do one for Grados...

Nate

[edit] Oh snap, there it is, my 1500th post...

Jan 6, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
It's roughly 10' long, I figured I could always make it shorter but longer might be an issue
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to them right now out of my Headroom Millett and it's a sweet sounding set of cans for sure. No business costing $20, even with the recable they still only cost me $35
biggrin.gif

Thanks again for the tutorial, now if you could just do one for Grados...

Nate

[edit] Oh snap, there it is, my 1500th post...

IMO the grados are actually much more simple than the HD201 recable. The toughest part is popping off the lids to the cans. I've never worked with a non full-plastic body though.

I used a little bit of drill press magic with my HD 201s to get a single sided cable, but the headband is not adjustable after this mod

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #35 of 37
First of all, congratulations to de OP on this excellent topic!

I'm about to do my first rewiring and I will experiment with HD201 first.

Just to get everything clear, I only need two things:
- Star Quad Microphone Cable(L-4E6S / L-4E5C)
- 1 Switchcraft : 3.5 mm Jack
I just have to solder the star quad cable in the exact same place of the standard cable, right?
Although the pictures here are very good, they aren't very clear on the process of soldering, what, to where.

Best regards

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #36 of 37
I would use the mini version of the Starquad as I remember the internals were slightly cramped in that headphone. The Switchcraft 35HD plug is also a very good choice. The wire simply replaces the stock wire, nothing crazy going on :wink: You may want heatshrink and possibly sleeving (nylon multifilament or standard Techflex) for a nice finished look if desired. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #37 of 37
Sorry to revive an old thread but you're a hero mate :')

Loved my 201s, onto bigger and better things now, but they were some fabulous cans. You might have convinced me to buy a pair again and do my own bit of rewiring ^-^

Have you ever been able to compare them with stock 201s once burned in? I'd love to know if there's an audible difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back