1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Rewiring a pair of Sony Earphones

1. mwhitaker
    Hope this is the right forum and website for this. So I just generally like Sony earbuds all around, for away-from home listening, and I enjoy the ability to use the iphone controller integrated into most of their cords. But I bought a pair of the Sony XBA-1ip's which I was thoroughly disappointed with. And having figured they'd sound pretty good based on their on-paper info, I bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX100ip's. Now, for just $40, I cannot BELIEVE the quality of sound you get with these things. Granted its not your audio technica or bose type equipment, but they're quite a hell of a pair of earphones. The catch is that while the cord does have iphone control support, it's a rather s****y cable. What I figured I'd do since I never planned on using the XBAs again, I busted the driver housings off of each bud (I'll tell you, Sony really knows what they're doing when it comes to cable-earbud durability—pulling those cords out was like two tanks tugging at a pair of interlaced phonebooks: sturdy stuff). The cable quality on the XBAs is fantastic, so now I find myself with the nice pair of MDR-EX100ip's and the cable from the XBA-1s. What I'd like to do, is somehow remove the cable from the MDRs and replace it with the cable from the XBAs. But I'm afraid that would either be a task for a professional of unheard-of knowledge, or something nearly impossible if barely accomplish able by myself. Could anyone  provide some insight on how I could do this? Sounds simple--removed wire from XBAs, want to connect MDR earbud/driver housings to it to have nice buds with a nice cable. Thank you in advance for any help made available.