Revo 7.1 SPDIF Out-->Emu 0404 SPDIF In
Mar 22, 2006 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Steve Coal

100+ Head-Fier
I'm having a heck of a time trying to configure both soundcards to communicate with each other via SPDIF. I've tried many things and no signal is being received in patchmix. Any suggestions on how to properly set up patchmix, order to install the soundcard drivers, etc.?

Please help!
- Steve

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply. I figured it out, however, it didn't have to do with patchmix settings though. I never saw the "Digital" setting in the Revo settings, I just figured that it automatically sent a signal to it's SPDIF out.I feel kind of stupid...

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 9
May I ask what you're trying to do with those two cards by having them communicate with each other? I actually have the Revo 7.1 and an emu1212m, so I'm curious.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you told me how you made those cards communicate with each other, I'd like to know.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
May I ask what you're trying to do with those two cards by having them communicate with each other? I actually have the Revo 7.1 and an emu1212m, so I'm curious.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you told me how you made those cards communicate with each other, I'd like to know.

Send the digital out of your Revo into the digital in of the 1212M. You'll need to create a new patchmix strip for that input as well. And the 1212M will not accept an AC3 or DTS encoded audio stream, only two channel PCM.

I have the digital out of my AN7's onboard sound going to my 0404. That way I only need one set of speakers, but I don't get any surround sound. Hopefully the lack of DD or DTS pass-through is something that E-Mu will address in a future driver release, but they say it isn't a priority as the card is for audio production/recording, not entertainment.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy
Send the digital out of your Revo into the digital in of the 1212M. You'll need to create a new patchmix strip for that input as well. And the 1212M will not accept an AC3 or DTS encoded audio stream, only two channel PCM.

I have the digital out of my AN7's onboard sound going to my 0404. That way I only need one set of speakers, but I don't get any surround sound. Hopefully the lack of DD or DTS pass-through is something that E-Mu will address in a future driver release, but they say it isn't a priority as the card is for audio production/recording, not entertainment.

I set the Revo to "digital" in the control panel. I've fidgetted around with the patchmix settings also, but haven't had any luck. Just to make sure, I should be able to hear what the Revo plays through my E-MU1212m, correct?

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

For the gaming support. I snagged The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion a few days ago and I was having problems with the sound effects (but not the music/voices/footsteps) cutting out after playing for a little while. So I tried the game with my previous soundcard (Revo 7.1), and the sound wouldnt cut out.

It is a pain to reconnect interconnects to the Revo or Emu whenever I switch between music and gaming, therefore I get the best (well.. the Revo isn't the "best" for gaming, but it's all I have) of both words by sending the Revo's signal to the Emu's much better DACs. I actually think I lose of few FPS by using the Revo, but that's obviously better than not being able to hear interaction with non-player characters.
tongue.gif

I'm away from my normal computer but here are the settings I use (if I can remember correctly):
Revo
Choose the "Digital" setting from the drop down menu.
Emu
Create a 44/48 session, that relies on external clock (this way the Revo picks the sample rate; it is necessary that both soundcards use the same sample rate).
Add the "PCI Out SPDIF LR In" insert (I think it is called something like that).
I also have a ASIO 1/2 insert so that I can send music from foobar2000 directly to the EMU (no reason to send it to the Revo through the Coaxial cable to the EMU, when it's possible to skip)..

I believe that's all I did.
- Steve

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I set the Revo to "digital" in the control panel. I've fidgetted around with the patchmix settings also, but haven't had any luck. Just to make sure, I should be able to hear what the Revo plays through my E-MU1212m, correct?

Make sure that you have your Sound settings in Windows Control Panel set up to use the M-Audio Revo as default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back