Revo 7.1 makes static sounds
Jun 23, 2004 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hydrac7

Head-Fier
I just got a new motherboard, the Gigabyte 7N400-L, and now whenever I do something like burn a CD, rip a CD, or when a torrent is checking files, my music will get staticy.

I'm also using the nVidia IDE drivers. If I don't, it will give me problems trying to load microsoft IDE drivers.

What can I do to fix this? Which PCI slot would the soundcard go best in?

Oh yeah, IRQ for the IDE channel is 15, and sound card is 16.

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 8
I tend to use the lowest PCI slot for sound cards as it is a bit further from all the other components. It may or may not do anything in your case, but it's always worth a try.

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Almost completely unrelated to this thread, but Tomo is making me dizzy
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

One thing you could try is to mute all inputs and outputs except wave/master.

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It sounds like a PCI bus latency issue, however I don't know how to fix those.

this is most likely the case, but does anyone know how to fix it?

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Usually there are some settings for PCI latency in BIOS. Try fiddling with it (up 'n down
tongue.gif
)

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 8
something that nobody suggested: if not already done, update the drivers.

pertaining to PCI bus latency, don't adjust it too much.
a higher latency will give a device more time with the pci bus but in turn will make other pci devices wait longer.
a lower latency will naturally give a device less time with the pci bus but other pci devices will get access to the bus sooner.
default pci bus latency is usually 32. lower it if you have many pci devices and raise it if you have one or very few.

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
something that nobody suggested: if not already done, update the drivers.

pertaining to PCI bus latency, don't adjust it too much.
a higher latency will give a device more time with the pci bus but in turn will make other pci devices wait longer.
a lower latency will naturally give a device less time with the pci bus but other pci devices will get access to the bus sooner.
default pci bus latency is usually 32. lower it if you have many pci devices and raise it if you have one or very few.

I'm on the lastest drivers of everything.

Plus, my motherboard doesn't let me adjust bus latency. The only PCI options it gives me is IRQ settings, which are all on auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back