Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Mar 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,531 of 2,057
Doesn't seem to be universally agreed that Hugo is better, at least grim my reading (haven't compared them myself).Currawang, in his Mojo review, send to feel they're equal, or very close to it (but voiced differently).

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Hugo is better and I use them both daily with a variety of upper tier headphones. Different league completely. That said, the size difference makes the Mojo just so much easier portable and the cost variation makes it less of a risk to carry around and inadvertently damage.

Most sound quality justification comes from Mojo owners, there is a giant killer attitude that is on head-fi that is that way, especially with fast moving threads and outlandish excitement. I have seen it many times throughout the years. It's okay, it's fun, it's part of the whole experience of head-fi but having one at home or even listening at a meet helps. It's easy to get excited, I know. I've spent tens of thousands out hear on gear and I can say that the Chord Hugo is probably my best buy. I can also say that due to convenience I use the Mojo more at this time.:wink:

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,532 of 2,057
I have been using my Pandora VI / now Sonorous VI (the Pandora had a defect) with  a O2 Dac, a Geek Out V2 infinity and a DacPort HD.

As the Sonorous VI has only 8 Ohm impedance there is not a lot of power need to drive it to insane levels of loudness.
Honestly speaking I feel that the GeekOut has way too much power for it even on low gain. I have to turn down the volume on Audirvana to below 8 o'clock.
With TIDAL I almost cannot use the combination GO + Sonorous VI  as it is way too loud. I can't turn down volume in Tidal enough. 

The best fitting for me in this constellation is the DacPort HD on low gain which delivers pretty well - especially at its price point.
It might be interesting for some that Centrance is doing a crowdfunding for a battery driven DacPort HD at the moment on KS which might be very intersting for use with a phone as the music source.

(And to all who have had the pleasure of funding LHLabs:
Centrance is a absolutely different story compared to LHLAbs - as far as I know they always performed on their crowdfundings and in time because they always had the product sitting ready, only waiting to be produced) 

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,533 of 2,057
  got a set of these about a month ago. overall they're very lovely. i use these as my work cans and i mostly listen to orchestral music. and i went through the majority of the replies to find the perfect pads for me as well. waaaay back somewhere, someone mentioned type C pads, but no one really seemed to pulled the trigger on those. so... i did! 

(looks like i don't have image upload permissions, so here's an external link http://imgur.com/a/LDRbc)

it's pretty interesting what they did with the type C -- thicker mesh(?), but they poked holes in the inner lining(?). the inner ring is a softer sponge and the outer ring is similar to type A's sponge.

they're very comfortable -- enough padding between your ears and the cups. and while my ears still touch the cups, the thicker mesh makes it very comfortable. i never had problems with type B and A, but type C's are much more comfortable.

and most importantly, i'm happy with the sound too! (warning: i'm pretty new to this hobby, so i can't describe things to well, but i'll try my best) type A sounds like it has a slight more bass, but it loses clarity. cellos and basses get buried / messy in a lot of the recordings. type B loses that slight oomph in the bass, but definitely cleans up the sound a lot. type C's sound is very close to the B's -- still very clean sound, and a little less bass than type A. it does lose a tad bit of the brightness / sounds muffled, but it's hardly noticeable unless you really hear for it.

i've tried the shure's alcantara pads (before i got type B and C so i didn't have the chance to compare with B and C directly), but i felt like they lost a lot of the nuanced details even compared to type A. 

i do think type C's are the winner. but they're super expensive ($70 USD + shipping) and apparently they're very limited in terms of quantity. i took the last one they had in stock >_>

hope this helps you guys!

Have you tried stuffing the B pads foam to C pads? I suspect it's the mesh that is causing the change in sound. I did a similar mod myself for the pad (adding a grado-like padding in the center of the pads and cutting a small piece for the BA driver. since it acts as a cushion between the ear and the grill it no longer hurts (wearing the headphones for long is still hot though). The sound did change, the bass is a bit more prominent and less treble glare. Soundstage is about the same with a slight loss in clarity, which kinda fits your description for the C pads. Since it's a nice improvement in comfort without losing much of the sounds I decided to keep it.)

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,535 of 2,057
9Rt556Vh.jpg

My next mod inspired by the grado pads. I cut a hole in the middle and a little bit at the edge for BA driver.

rMHTdZjh.jpg

Here's how it looks inside the driver. I then shove the pads in the complete the mod. I have to stretch the pads to fit it in instead of spinning as it may cause the small pads to move and cover the BA driver. Will report latter on sound changes, but initial impression of comfort is good, my ears no longer touch the grills.

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,537 of 2,057
  I have taken my shure pads off and gone back to my upgraded Final pads. Even though the shure are more comfortable(which is important)I have decided it isn't worth the sonic cost.

What do you mean by your "upgraded" Final pads? Modded A or B pads?

I'm still using the Shure pads. So comfortable and really help the VI's stay on my head. Haven't got around to comparing the Shure's vs the A/B pads. Partially because for me the A pads can get crazy sibilant and the B pads are far too shallow, but do sound good.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,540 of 2,057
Did anyone in the history of this thread try any (foam) damping mod? Swapping earpads is not of interest to me. 

My mods a few comments up is usung foam disk and cut holes for both the BA and dynamic drivers. Works well enough for me. I also tried a few different material and the conclusion I got is that foam works the best, if you try any hardder material the sounds become really nasty.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,541 of 2,057
Lol, that's a good of example of bad eyesight on my part. Nice and most of all easy looking mod.

The sound did change, the bass is a bit more prominent and less treble glare. Soundstage is about the same with a slight loss in clarity,

You're still of the same opinion on sq changes? The only thing I'm after is a slight decrease of the sometimes peaky high frequency.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,542 of 2,057
  Lol, that's a good of example of bad eyesight on my part. Nice and most of all easy looking mod.

You're still of the same opinion on sq changes? The only thing I'm after is a slight decrease of the sometimes peaky high frequency.

That was the old mod. With this one the changes is mostly on the Bass. It no longer sounds loosely and prominent like the one without holes, in fact it is pretty close to the non-modded which I like. Detail is pretty much the same without mods. Tbh I didn't spent that much time comparing them, but I do know for a fact that this is the closest I have gotten to original sounds without sacrificing the comfort as my ears no longer touch the grills. Also this mod is dirt cheap, the pads is like 5$ at my local store and reversible, so no reason to NOT try out the mod and find out yourself :)
BTW the Final page claims that the BA driver act as a tweeter, so if you want to fix anything on the treble range that would be the thing to mod. At first I tried to cover the whole driver including the BA and that might be the reason for the muted treble range.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,544 of 2,057
Hi everyone,
So I just got my sonorous vi, and am looking for a portable/mini desktop dac to pair with the cans. Now after some digging, the first one on my list is chord mojo, but I've heard people complaining that mojo will have unlistenable noises when connecting to PCs with regular usb cable. So can anyone in this thread confirm that claim? If it's true than I probably will have to stuck with mojo dx50 combo for a while or simply go with other products. Thanks for reply
smily_headphones1.gif

I use Oppo HA-2 and absolutely love the pairing. Was paired with a Cayin C5 before, but the HA-2 takes it to another level. FYI, I use the HA-2 as an amp only through the 3.5mm TRS socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back