Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Aug 13, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,201 of 2,057
Did some search

Absolutely!

The Pandora series of headphones is undergoing a name change to prevent any confusion that it is affiliated with Pandora Radio. The Pandora IV and VI have changed their name to Sonorous IV and VI. We are also preparing for the July 1st launch of the new Sonorous VIII and our new flagship, the Sonorous X. We are taking pre-orders both Europe and the U.S. for the Sonorous line. There will be limited availability on the VIII and the X until August as we are working on a first come - first serve basis.

I think there are some of the Pandora VI still out there from our previous inventory. If you are in the U.S. you can send a question through our Final Audio U.S. website.

www.finalaudiousa.com

More information on the new Sonorous VIII & X can be found on the main company website.

www.final-audio-design.com/en

And Sonorous VIII & X no longer have the balanced armature driver, instead a titanium diaphragm

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,202 of 2,057
Was listening to the pandora6 /massdropMX5velor via audiogdNFB10.32...
Could hear the engine turbines cranking up on the DarkKnightRises album, superb batsmobile can this is. :D

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,203 of 2,057
I was thankful to see the pads on Massdrop again, should have them around the time my VI arrives.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #1,204 of 2,057
Would the Hope VI be a worthwhile upgrade from the Q701? I have the O2 + odac already, and the Q701 bass isn't as prominent as I would like sometimes. I prefer a more neutral sound, so I'm worried about the bass being too much on this set

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,205 of 2,057
My wife's company got harassed by Pandora lawyers for some treatment that they were offering or something a while back and she said they were aggressive and ruthless. It was something not even related to music but her company changed the name due to it. Probably something like that happened with Final. Just not worth the legal battles.

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #1,206 of 2,057
So removing BA drivers in Hi-end models , means it was a bad idea ?
I just can not get it, BA drivers, can't work outside the ear canal ... Is it was just a marketing trick ?

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,207 of 2,057
Would the Hope VI be a worthwhile upgrade from the Q701? I have the O2 + odac already, and the Q701 bass isn't as prominent as I would like sometimes. I prefer a more neutral sound, so I'm worried about the bass being too much on this set

pandora6 should sound cleaner clearer less sibilant...
bass isnt exaggerated.
smaller soundstage being a closed can..

I would upgrade the dac amp if I am quite happy with the q701...
maybe add a tube amp :)

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,208 of 2,057

From my experience, yes, considerably.
You will have the same level of extension and clarity, no less a soundstage (in my experience, despite being closed) and much more impactful and enjoyable bass. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,210 of 2,057
I was thankful to see the pads on Massdrop again, should have them around the time my VI arrives.

Good to hear you've finally taken the plunge as I know you've been an admirer for a while 
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you buy it from the recent drop on Massdrop? Wasn't a bad deal at all that esp. with the extra pads thrown in.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,211 of 2,057
The VI's have piqued my interest. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the TH600's when I came across this thread, however is the VI a bright can? I consider the T1, DT880 and K712 as too bright with a lack of bass for my tastes. Cans with bass I like are HD650, LCD 2.2 and HE400. To my ears, I found the HD600 and ESP950 kinda boring, so I guess I like a somewhat colored sound signature? However, from memory, I found the AH-D2000 to be a little veiled with a little too much bass, (never tried the D5000 or D7000).

Do you think the FAD VI or the TH600 would be the better can for me, and why? TIA!

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,212 of 2,057
Good to hear you've finally taken the plunge as I know you've been an admirer for a while :)  

Did you buy it from the recent drop on Massdrop? Wasn't a bad deal at all that esp. with the extra pads thrown in.

I actually got PM'd an offer to buy secondhand from someone I know, who is fundraising for the new TOTL Final headphones. I think he was looking at getting the Shure pads for me too, so should have the low repulsion pads, Shure and AT pads on hand for comparison (for reference I heard them with the original low repulsion pads).

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #1,213 of 2,057
I actually got PM'd an offer to buy secondhand from someone I know, who is fundraising for the new TOTL Final headphones. I think he was looking at getting the Shure pads for me too, so should have the low repulsion pads, Shure and AT pads on hand for comparison (for reference I heard them with the original low repulsion pads).

Even better!

Sounds like you should have plenty of pad options. Enjoy the VI when it arrives :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,214 of 2,057
After trying three different Shure earpads on their 1840, I found that it was the "grill cloth" or mesh across the bottom of the earpads that gave each its distinctive sound. I even removed the mesh from one pair which produced the most shrill, unlistenable sound. So, the thickness of the foam is not creating the different sonic character, it is the mesh itself just like the grill cloth would on a dynamic loudspeaker. While I am waiting on a pair of type B earpads for my FAD Pandora VI, I have not been able to repeat the experiment on that headphone. Also, I believe that the cords connecting the phones can have a profound effect on the sound, but there are no alternatives to the factory cords yet. I think I saw different cords on display in a picture of the Sonorous VIII and X at the Berlin show. Hopefully, these will be made available by FAD.

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,215 of 2,057
After trying three different Shure earpads on their 1840, I found that it was the "grill cloth" or mesh across the bottom of the earpads that gave each its distinctive sound. I even removed the mesh from one pair which produced the most shrill, unlistenable sound. So, the thickness of the foam is not creating the different sonic character, it is the mesh itself just like the grill cloth would on a dynamic loudspeaker. While I am waiting on a pair of type B earpads for my FAD Pandora VI, I have not been able to repeat the experiment on that headphone. Also, I believe that the cords connecting the phones can have a profound effect on the sound, but there are no alternatives to the factory cords yet. I think I saw different cords on display in a picture of the Sonorous VIII and X at the Berlin show. Hopefully, these will be made available by FAD.

With Final's own pads I think it's pad depth and/or the type of foam used that makes the biggest difference to how they sound. As far as I can tell the cloth mesh used on both Type A & B pads is identical in terms of material used & transparency (how much light shines through them).

Not to say that the mesh can't make a difference too of course. 

I'm not really into aftermarket cables but I agree it would be good to at least have the option. Based on the prices of the VII & X though I'd hate to think what the cables might cost if they are indeed different  
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back