Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #76 of 2,057

I don't have the energy to do an in depth comparison and A/B test at the moment but I'll do my best of the top of my head.

First of all, the AD2000X has a very unique sound signature as it is very mid-centric while the PHVI has a more balanced sound signature, with bass a bit north of neutral. Bass quantity/quality is definitely better on the PHVI, which is expected since it's closed back. Soundstage is significantly wider and deeper on the PHVI, but the AD2000X has a taller soundstage. The PHVI presents the soundstage in a much more natural way, with much better layering and placement of instruments. Imaging is also much better on the PHVI. Each instrument and vocalist is very clearly defined in it's own 3D space while on the AD2000X they seem a bit diffuse in comparison. This is not to say imaging is bad on the AD2000X, but it's just that good on the PHVI. As expected, the AD2000X does have quite a bit more air, being an open back headphone. Overall, I would say that these two headphones are very different and cater to totally different tastes. In my opinion, the PHVI is technically superior in almost every way except in the height of the soundstage and the amount of air its sound has. It is several hundred US dollars more expensive though, so I guess that should be expected.

I'm running my PHVI directly out of my Sabre DAC while the AD2000X is out of the Sabre DAC and E12, just fyi.

If you have any aspects between the two headphones that you want me to compare in further detail, let me know.

I'm surprised someone told you that they're bright, as I don't find them to be bright at all. They have a warmer sound signature with a polite and non-fatiguing treble. I haven't heard an HD800, but that's pretty amazing if that's true. The BA certainly provides tons of detail without sounding thin or analytical.

Thanks so much for your time, really appreciate your comparison 
wink_face.gif

I guess why some people think PHVI bright because in some mainstream recording it can produce sibilance. Especially if they tested it via ipod or iphone. PHVI is a smooth sounding headphone, but they're not that forgiving to bad recording. (still far more forgiving than HD800 or T1 though)

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #77 of 2,057
  "There's no issue of comfort with the Pandora VI per se - i.e. if you keep your head relatively still and upright. If you try to treat it like an ordinary headphone that's much lighter, and move your head rapidly or lean way over, the weight of the Pandora could be bothersome. But don't tilt your head way over or make rapid movements, and it's supremely comfortable."

^ When I asked about the comfort from a future hp seller

Yeah I would agree with that. Sitting up straight and still allows me to wear them for much longer and reduces the strain on my neck.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #78 of 2,057
Has anyone managed to test them with iBasso DX50? Currently I'm choosing a model for jazz to use with this source and would appreciate some opinions.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #79 of 2,057
Whoops just opened the sites today. Been a while since I've first bought Pandora, the bass becomes tighter and sounded better for me. i like the impact, fullness and decay. Its kinda hard to choose between th600 and pandora. Both are good headphones with their own signature.

I love the vocals in my pandora. its so intimate and full of emotions, one of the best vocals i've ever listened to. The micro details are just amazing. i love the bass impact I don't know but for me it is somewhat tighter and more precise compared to TH600? (maybe i;m just wrong). Although for me the presentation and the soundstage feel is unusual. But i kinda understand since its FAD products. My only concern is the comfort, its really hard to get the "fit" which kinda annoying. if not fitted properly my ear hurts after 30 minutes of usage. 

Still overall performance of TH600 is hard to beat. I like the wideness of the sound stage. kinda feel more refined and laid back and better all rounder. I like th600's sub bass better though. TH600 by no any means is inferior to pandora in terms of bass, its hard to say and explain. maybe its a different "goodness" ? I feel like the bass and sub bass in TH600 gives more refined and pleasant feeling. TH600 is also more comfortable (obvious since it is one of the most comfortable headphones i've ever tried).

I have to say the most amazing thing is how i keep missing and searching for Pandora's vocal when i listened to my TH600. the sweetness and the intimate feeling is hard to beat. Honestly for the past few weeks I use Pandora more often compared to TH600. But maybe its because it is a new toy for me :D.

I use Pandora mainly to listen to K-Pop, Pop, and J-Pop. Mostly Hikaru Utada's song and the vocal just too amazing. (Mostly 320 kbps, some ALACs)

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #80 of 2,057
Yeah vocals and mids, especially the upper mids, are really beautiful on the PHVI. Interesting that you think the presentation and soundstage feel unusual though, I actually felt like they were really natural and the placement of instruments made much more sense to me than on my AD2000X. But YES to Utada Hikaru! I listened to several of her albums on the PHVI and they sounded absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I couldn't deal with the weight and comfort issues and finally sold them to cn11 just a few days ago, they will be dearly missed :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #81 of 2,057
That was their main problem, i really hope they release new pads for them, but it's not just the pads, the weight is a lot to bear for longer periods.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #82 of 2,057
Yeah the weight was actually the main problem for me, eventually got used to the pads. I don't understand how people can wear the planar magnetics and electrostats that are even heavier than the PHVI. It gets hard to enjoy your music once your head and neck start aching lol.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #84 of 2,057
Does The pandora have an upper mid emphasis and sub bass roll off?

I wouldn't say that it has either. I think I said upper mids sound especially good because I love female vocals but male vocals sound really great as well. Bass extends very deep and I believe it does not roll off at all, although my ears might be wrong. Perhaps someone else who has more experienced ears can chime in?

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #85 of 2,057
  Whoops just opened the sites today. Been a while since I've first bought Pandora, the bass becomes tighter and sounded better for me. i like the impact, fullness and decay. Its kinda hard to choose between th600 and pandora. Both are good headphones with their own signature.

I love the vocals in my pandora. its so intimate and full of emotions, one of the best vocals i've ever listened to. The micro details are just amazing. i love the bass impact I don't know but for me it is somewhat tighter and more precise compared to TH600? (maybe i;m just wrong). Although for me the presentation and the soundstage feel is unusual. But i kinda understand since its FAD products. My only concern is the comfort, its really hard to get the "fit" which kinda annoying. if not fitted properly my ear hurts after 30 minutes of usage. 

Still overall performance of TH600 is hard to beat. I like the wideness of the sound stage. kinda feel more refined and laid back and better all rounder. I like th600's sub bass better though. TH600 by no any means is inferior to pandora in terms of bass, its hard to say and explain. maybe its a different "goodness" ? I feel like the bass and sub bass in TH600 gives more refined and pleasant feeling. TH600 is also more comfortable (obvious since it is one of the most comfortable headphones i've ever tried).

I have to say the most amazing thing is how i keep missing and searching for Pandora's vocal when i listened to my TH600. the sweetness and the intimate feeling is hard to beat. Honestly for the past few weeks I use Pandora more often compared to TH600. But maybe its because it is a new toy for me :D.

I use Pandora mainly to listen to K-Pop, Pop, and J-Pop. Mostly Hikaru Utada's song and the vocal just too amazing. (Mostly 320 kbps, some ALACs)

Thanks for your impressions,
I am leaning more toward the TH600 comfort wise,
one big  problem if I decide to get the TH600 will be to deal with the constant thoughts of " What the TH900 might sound like, I should have got them instead... but it cost too much... arghhh
confused.gif
"

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #86 of 2,057
  Thanks for your impressions,
I am leaning more toward the TH600 comfort wise,
one big  problem if I decide to get the TH600 will be to deal with the constant thoughts of " What the TH900 might sound like, I should have got them instead... but it cost too much... arghhh
confused.gif
"

I listened to both TH600 and TH900. TH900 not extensively, though for me its sounded a little bit to refine. I know its sounds weird. its sounds so refined and smooth better than TH600 in every aspects, not by much though. (note i'm not using any dacs and amps). In a sense for rock and esp electric guitars i prefer the sound reproduced by TH600. It would be nice to have both TH600 and TH900 though. 

Comfort issue is very important since I never able to use my pandora for more than 1,5 hours.

I wouldn't say that it has either. I think I said upper mids sound especially good because I love female vocals but male vocals sound really great as well. Bass extends very deep and I believe it does not roll off at all, although my ears might be wrong. Perhaps someone else who has more experienced ears can chime in?

agree.. I dont think it's something like that either. i think pandora's Vocal presentation is simply really good. 

About the presentation i mean the soundstaging. TH600 is vast and wide, like listening in a big and wide concert hall. for the pandora I feel like its all over me, like in a small studio. maybe its just me, but that's how i feel. not bad by any means, but just unusual. usually people like headphones with wider soundstage? CMIIW

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #87 of 2,057

About the presentation i mean the soundstaging. TH600 is vast and wide, like listening in a big and wide concert hall. for the pandora I feel like its all over me, like in a small studio. maybe its just me, but that's how i feel. not bad by any means, but just unusual. usually people like headphones with wider soundstage? CMIIW

Hmm yeah I guess I can sort of see what you mean. At times the PHVI did sound a bit more intimate but on tracks recorded in a large space, the soundstage felt quite expansive. I mentioned somewhere in another post that I noticed that the PHVI somehow made differences in the soundstage between tracks really obvious and was something I've never noticed in any other headphone before. But then again, I haven't heard the TH600 so I'm sure you're probably right lol.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #88 of 2,057
These are now £285.67 at amazon.co.uk. Wish I had the money... Best deals are available always when I'm broke!  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Final-Audio-Design-Pandora-Headphones/dp/B00HSHEU7M/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392972127&sr=1-4&keywords=headphones

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #90 of 2,057
DANG THAT'S A STEAL. I would easily buy them again if they were that cheap!! UK people better get on this quick, wouldn't be surprised if this was some kinda error on amazon's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back