Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,861 of 2,057
I agree the VI is a fabulous headphone for the money, but I’m among those who find the Utopia to be outstanding in its ability to resolve fine detail. Not necessarily the best headphone with all types of music, so that’s why I have a D8000 as well.

I don't disagree, I think many other share your opinion too. Most of these cans have 1 or more outstanding qualities that make them special.

At the end of the day, if you are not doing music production professionally, its about what sounds best to your ears and what moves you.

If you're a details guy, then Utopia is a good fit.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #1,862 of 2,057
I I tried the brainwavz angled. It made the siund bad. The sound became hollow and the mids and highs became worse. I am happy with the sh840. Although again the sh840 just add more comfort and make the isolation better. I am tempted with the ether c though. Does the ether c not sacrifice the mids and high?

IMO, no discernible degradation in sound quality in the mids or highs. The pads just make the heavy VI more comfortable, and the thickness/angle take off the sibilant shouty edge of the sound with the stock flat pads. All the goodness is retained.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,863 of 2,057
I received my Sonorous and only one side is working:frowning2:
I agree the VI is a fabulous headphone for the money, but I’m among those who find the Utopia to be outstanding in its ability to resolve fine detail. Not necessarily the best headphone with all types of music, so that’s why I have a D8000 as well.
How D8000 is doing Vs Sonorous VI ?

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #1,864 of 2,057
How D8000 is doing Vs Sonorous VI ?

I love the D8000. Much higher resolution in the upper frequencies presented in a less forward, even warmer manner. Bass is deeper, too. My favorite headphone in my collection. I’m shopping for an amp and the ALO CV5 is a strong candidate. What I’d really like is a Bakoon HPA-01M, but it’s no longer made. The Woo WA11 is of interest as well. I want a portable amp to use with my AK240SS since all my listening is done while lying in bed.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,865 of 2,057
I love the D8000. Much higher resolution in the upper frequencies presented in a less forward, even warmer manner. Bass is deeper, too. My favorite headphone in my collection. I’m shopping for an amp and the ALO CV5 is a strong candidate. What I’d really like is a Bakoon HPA-01M, but it’s no longer made. The Woo WA11 is of interest as well. I want a portable amp to use with my AK240SS since all my listening is done while lying in bed.
:dt880smile: Yes but not the same budget ! for this headphone you need an amp ?

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,866 of 2,057
:dt880smile: Yes but not the same budget ! for this headphone you need an amp ?

Yes, for the D8000 and my other headphones. The 240SS amp is maxed out. Also, I plan on buying the HD 8XX when Massdrop releases it, and I’ll need the power for them as well.

But the D8000, in my view, is something quite special. Definitely recommend a listen if you get a chance ...

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,867 of 2,057
Thank you for the reply. How are these with things like transients, imaging, soundstage and treble and mid detail? Any graininess or slowness compared to cans like the elex and lcd2c? Was looking at either the sonorous VI, elex, or emu - teak to compliment my lcd2c. Thanks

My best advice is you have to audition them and form your own opinion. I haven't auditioned Elex, but people like the soundstage on the elex. For me the elear was too warm and muddled sounds together. I prefer more separation, imaging and detail.

I would say no graininess on the VI and no slowness form my perspective. Not sure how you would define slowness, but as I mentioned in another post, the VI allows sounds to fully begin and end, and doesn't truncate them. As that how you would define slowness?

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,868 of 2,057
My best advice is you have to audition them and form your own opinion. I haven't auditioned Elex, but people like the soundstage on the elex. For me the elear was too warm and muddled sounds together. I prefer more separation, imaging and detail.

I would say no graininess on the VI and no slowness form my perspective. Not sure how you would define slowness, but as I mentioned in another post, the VI allows sounds to fully begin and end, and doesn't truncate them. As that how you would define slowness?
I think headphones like the 650 are slow. I come from speakers so I value headphones that should speaker like. I heard the focal line is like this. Just wanted to know if the VI resembled the transients of speakers at all.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #1,869 of 2,057
I think headphones like the 650 are slow. I come from speakers so I value headphones that should speaker like. I heard the focal line is like this. Just wanted to know if the VI resembled the transients of speakers at all.

I think you will be happy. Very unlike the HD 650, polar opposite in the trebles.

Speakers can dull transients as well, so it depends what speaker you are referring to. In my view, the transients are excellent, very fast with good decay. There’s just something about the BA driver in the VI that brings excitement hence pleasure to listening.

I owned a custom final FI-BA-SS which also used a proprietary BA driver, and there’s a resemblance in the treble characteristics between it and the VI. For those who like a warm sounding headphone, the VI won’t appeal.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,870 of 2,057
I think you will be happy. Very unlike the HD 650, polar opposite in the trebles.

Speakers can dull transients as well, so it depends what speaker you are referring to. In my view, the transients are excellent, very fast with good decay. There’s just something about the BA driver in the VI that brings excitement hence pleasure to listening.

I owned a custom final FI-BA-SS which also used a proprietary BA driver, and there’s a resemblance in the treble characteristics between it and the VI. For those who like a warm sounding headphone, the VI won’t appeal.
I should’ve said like good studio monitors instead of just “speakers” . For me, if the treble quality is there I don’t mind if it’s a bit bright. My two current headphones are the lcd2c and final e5000. I love both, but want another headphone with a bit more excitement. I was mainly looking at these and the focal elex. It seems like the elex is the better deal at the $700 price range, but that’s only because there’s very little info on the sonorous IV.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,871 of 2,057
IV or VI? The IV is a bit rougher around the edges, the VI refines these trouble spots.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #1,872 of 2,057
I’m sure you already tried this, but clean the connectors with isopropyl alcohol and then plug them into the VI a few times, even twist them back and forth. On the source end as well.

Thanks for your hints!
Yes I tried everything and sometimes it sounds ok then an hour later again only the left side. And sometimes it seems to be almost ok but with a 40/60 balance shift.
Need to send them back

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #1,873 of 2,057
Thanks for your hints!
Yes I tried everything and sometimes it sounds ok then an hour later again only the left side. And sometimes it seems to be almost ok but with a 40/60 balance shift.
Need to send them back

Before you send them back, reverse the leads placing the right channel connector into the left ear cup and the left into the right. If the bad channel switches, you have a bad cable, but if it remains the same as it was, then it is a problem with the affected driver.

Good luck!

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #1,874 of 2,057
Before you send them back, reverse the leads placing the right channel connector into the left ear cup and the left into the right. If the bad channel switches, you have a bad cable, but if it remains the same as it was, then it is a problem with the affected driver.

Good luck!

Yepp,
It was one of the first tricks I tried. Cable is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back