1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Reviewers you can not personally trust (a warning for eletronic music listeners)

Tags:
  1. FunkeXMix
    Hi all,

On a journey of buying different things based on reviews here and there I have come to understand why I had such a differente and often dissapointing experience with gear. Most prominently reviews pouring gold over how good the treble detail, sparkle, percieved soundstage is.

And then I try it at home and hear nothing of the sort, often the opposite, my experience is the treble is muddied, warm and soundstage narrow instead.

What I have come to understand is that there is a certain type of reviewer persona that I can not trust.
    * Listens to and likes acoustic music on their private time
    * Only listens to electronic music when testing gear for reviews. What I mean by eletronic is: Ambient, Electronic, Techno, Trance, House, Trap, Dubstep etc...
    Oftentimes picking songs as a noob in these genres.. their reference point is so off because they can't help but compare everything to acoustic ear/brain reference points. They can't tell if the electronic track doesn't sound right or at least spot that the track doesn't sound like the electronic producer intended.

Styles in regards to treble:
    Acoustic: Has limited width and depth determined by room and instrument acoustic possibilities. Pretty good reference point for highs (think violins).
    Electronic: Has unlimited possibilites of creating depth and width. Can create sounds that sound infiniately wide.

MORAL OF THE STORY
    Listen to reviewers who are not noobs with electronic music. Because the above reviewer persona does not listen to music with unlimited width and depth possibilities their word on how wide and deep the sound is will be worth nothing to you if you like electronic music.

2. serman005
    I have one in particular I cannot stand. He goes on and on and on about this unboxing and then does almost zero actual reviewing, Everyone goes on about how great he is and how knowledgeable he is. It's a bunch of BS. :frowning2:

3. Spareribs
    I find reviews to be entertaining and they can be great. Sometimes annoying but overall, good fun,

If it’s possible, it’s best to actually audition a product and if you buy it, make sure you can return it if you don’t like it.

If I were to buy something that costs over $2000, I would probably drive or even fly out to the place that sells it and hear it.

FunkeXMix likes this.
  4. willham
    you can say his name you know xD

but hey at least he's entertaining