[Reviewers Wanted] Cayin N5ii DAP - Android based, 64Bit/384kHz, DSD256, WiFi, Play, Streaming
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #61 of 88
Very detail review, especially the DAP comparison session, quite unusual to have such an extensive DAP line up in a tour review, I am glad that N5ii is lucky enough to be there at the right time. :beerchug:

I don't normally have quite that extensive a collection but it sure was nice to be able to do side by side comparisons with several of the top models on the market. I really do think that Cayin's primary competition at this point is Astell&Kern as the N5ii is very close to the AK70Mk2 in just about every respect. If the next generation N6 or i5 makes those last few tweaks to the OS/UI I think Cayin will be able to finally give A&K some real competition in the $500-1k range.

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #62 of 88
I don't normally have quite that extensive a collection but it sure was nice to be able to do side by side comparisons with several of the top models on the market. I really do think that Cayin's primary competition at this point is Astell&Kern as the N5ii is very close to the AK70Mk2 in just about every respect. If the next generation N6 or i5 makes those last few tweaks to the OS/UI I think Cayin will be able to finally give A&K some real competition in the $500-1k range.

I agree Cayin is getting closer and closer to the smoothness that I've experienced with A&K, in terms of sound quality though I still feel their a better value overall! Curious to see what their refresh of the N6 is going to look like! Though I need to hear the original as is, back in the day it was comparable to the Hm801 and at the top of my list

Full review is shot just need to edit it and get it online, till then do enjoy this little teaser!

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #64 of 88
I was actually quite amazed when I heard my friend's N6 in Bucharest. It looked like one heck of an amazing DAP, and I think that Cayin's next N6 series release might actually compete with DAPs like X7mkii and Opus #2

Honestly from what I heard at axpona of the X7 MK2 I wasn't super impressed with it... I think an n6 refresh could overtake what fiio is doing and take a cut of the market share that A&K has with their 70 series

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #65 of 88
the n5ii comes really close to the AK70mk2 now and I'll second the notion that from a value proposition, the N5ii is a better choice. I think the i5 and n6 refresh could very well over take the 70, 120, and 300 model AKs. With the 300 being based on a single 4490 I think the N5ii is already giving it a very tough fight, the AK70mk2 is a near dead heat with the n5ii and minor tweaks would push the Cayin past it and the 120 in my limited listening was not substantially different from the 70 to warrant a separate discussion as I think they are pretty much the same animal in a different box.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #66 of 88
the n5ii comes really close to the AK70mk2 now and I'll second the notion that from a value proposition, the N5ii is a better choice. I think the i5 and n6 refresh could very well over take the 70, 120, and 300 model AKs. With the 300 being based on a single 4490 I think the N5ii is already giving it a very tough fight, the AK70mk2 is a near dead heat with the n5ii and minor tweaks would push the Cayin past it and the 120 in my limited listening was not substantially different from the 70 to warrant a separate discussion as I think they are pretty much the same animal in a different box.

I spent a little time with the 70Mk2 at axpona and frankly it didn't blow me away, and I had my very same ES10 and GeekOut v2+ with me their as well so I did a quick back to back. Their Kaan did but otherwise as you've said being an owner of it value wise the N5ii is a better choice. Frankly the inclusion of Spotify!!! Is a big winner, I don't really do Lossless streaming. Fundamentally I don't trust wireless networks to handle hi-res as well as local play back BUT 320CBR Streaming via wi fi is a wonderful convenience, and from a quality discussion it's... resolving enough to appreciate a little nicer hardware. So again I'm in agreement as well

May 10, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #69 of 88
I have taken possession (or has it possessed me?...) of the N5 mk3, from @heliosphann

May 10, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #70 of 88
What’s in th box?...

8A4762C2-A524-4F5F-809E-312951BE33D1.jpeg

May 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #71 of 88
Some really good schtuff!

May 10, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #72 of 88
Just opened up the package received from @darmanastartes

Looks to be the same box as ngoshawk imaged, except it doesn't come with the nature backdrop(bummer). Within the box, the N5ii player is inside, with the usb-c to 3.5mm line-out dock type cable(yeah, I'm old school and recall the Apple LOD) which probably is a coaxial connector, usb cable, plastic N5ii cable in the N5ii box, and a separate box with a different N5ii case.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #73 of 88
The pairing with either the U12t or tia Trio is to say the least phenomenal. My goodness...what a week ahead of us, eh @SilverEars ?

May 10, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #74 of 88
The pairing with either the U12t or tia Trio is to say the least phenomenal. My goodness...what a week ahead of us, eh @SilverEars ?
I already have an idea of these on initial listen with my Andromeda. It's one of those impressions you know right away if you like the sound or not. It's not the level of sound output I was hoping for, the lower treble seems a bit on the shrill level, and the mids and bass doesn't sound so articulate, and some unbalance with the lifted treble. Usually Andro hardly expresses sibilance, but with these there a bit of sibilance expressed. This short impression is just based on Tidal to N5ii usb DAC. It doesn't bring out the goods of the Andro(and it's potential) for me.

I'll try it out with full-sized headphones, and also as a stand-alone player.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #75 of 88
I felt the same as well while using the sharp roll-off filter

switch over to the slow roll off filter for a bit more natural sound an a likely a better pairing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back