Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
May 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #662 of 812
I upgraded my wall hook that I hang my headphones on, posting in case anyone needs a cheap but nice wall hook thing.  these are $9.99 on ebay, just search for string swing.  Zach probably is familiar with these because he's a guitar guy

I also saw this headphone hanger in the diy hanger thread, made me think of zmf because it's shaped like a Z almost

May 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #664 of 812
I have the headphone versions of those wall hangers and they cost more!  What was I thinking!  Plus the guitar ones will have that padding.....hmmmm...pretty great idea!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 25, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #665 of 812
I'm kind of curious, is there much of a difference between the basic ZMF and the high end audibly, or is it more feature & aesthetic based?

May 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #666 of 812
I'm kind of curious, is there much of a difference between the basic ZMF and the high end audibly, or is it more feature & aesthetic based?

If you mean the rejack, it ensures balance between the drivers, sounds a little clearer, and you get to choose which cables you want. It was worth it to me. The other aspects are cosmetic, except the pilot pad (so comfy).

May 29, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #667 of 812
What portable amps or DACs would go well with this pair of headphones? I'm planning on buying the ZMF V1, and I'm thinking of getting the Fiio e12 Mont Blanc, JDSLabs Cmoy, Electric Avenues PA2V2, or Emmeline "The Shadow" from Ray Samuel. What would you guys recommend for the road?

May 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #669 of 812
I think the Vibro matches the He-500 in terms of technicalities, at least as closely as a closed headphone will. It sounds phenomenal, and is much more comfortable than the HifiMan, but it does lack the last bit of openness and naturalness that open back will get you. Still a phenomenal headphone, very "out of head" sound. The V1 will get you about 60-70% of the way to the technicalities of an He500 in my opinion. Maybe more, but it's a very colored presentation, and it's definitely more obviously closed. I would prefer the vibrio just for it being closed back, and the comfort, but sound wise if be happy with either. I like the open back of the 500, and the enveloping sound of the vibro. YMMV.

May 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #670 of 812
What portable amps or DACs would go well with this pair of headphones? I'm planning on buying the ZMF V1, and I'm thinking of getting the Fiio e12 Mont Blanc, JDSLabs Cmoy, Electric Avenues PA2V2, or Emmeline "The Shadow" from Ray Samuel. What would you guys recommend for the road?

The JDS labs is more on the bright side, which might suit you if you find the V1 a tad dark. The E12 is pretty meaty, and should be a good power match, but FiiO has a kind of particular warming, Bassier sound that doesn't suit everyone. I haven't heard the Electric avenues, but my preference would be the Ray Samuels, as it has (of the amps I've heard) the best musicality and technical abilities. Some have called it colored and dark, and it can be a polarizing amp, but it packs a punch. It also needs very extensive burn in time. Again, your move, those are just my experiences. Hope that helps.

May 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #671 of 812
for the guys who have both the he500 and zmf, do you think the zmf matches the he500 in terms of technicalities? and which one do you prefer?

Having both I would say the v1 has sweeter tones than the he500 which is more dry but airy and detailed, just as forward but faster and freer but I still like the v1 over the 500 on a lot of songs and for long sessions

May 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #672 of 812
I think the Vibro matches the He-500 in terms of technicalities, at least as closely as a closed headphone will. It sounds phenomenal, and is much more comfortable than the HifiMan, but it does lack the last bit of openness and naturalness that open back will get you. Still a phenomenal headphone, very "out of head" sound. The V1 will get you about 60-70% of the way to the technicalities of an He500 in my opinion. Maybe more, but it's a very colored presentation, and it's definitely more obviously closed. I would prefer the vibrio just for it being closed back, and the comfort, but sound wise if be happy with either. I like the open back of the 500, and the enveloping sound of the vibro. YMMV.

Having both I would say the v1 has sweeter tones than the he500 which is more dry but airy and detailed, just as forward but faster and freer but I still like the v1 over the 500 on a lot of songs and for long sessions

thanks both of you for sharing your experience. im still not set on which one I should get... I don't really mind the price difference between the zmf and he500 and I don't think I need the isolation of a closed back, my worry is if I will find the he500 fatiguing in sound and uncomfortable to wear.

May 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #673 of 812
I personally find the 500 fatiguing in sound and I can't figure out why. It's not the treble because I have had brighter headphones with sibilance. I get a pain in my ear from it and the he400 but the he6 I don't. It's an anomolly for me.

May 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #674 of 812
The JDS labs is more on the bright side, which might suit you if you find the V1 a tad dark. The E12 is pretty meaty, and should be a good power match, but FiiO has a kind of particular warming, Bassier sound that doesn't suit everyone. I haven't heard the Electric avenues, but my preference would be the Ray Samuels, as it has (of the amps I've heard) the best musicality and technical abilities. Some have called it colored and dark, and it can be a polarizing amp, but it packs a punch. It also needs very extensive burn in time. Again, your move, those are just my experiences. Hope that helps.

My only problem is that the Ray Samuels cost too much for a second amp. I think I'll go with the Fiio. My friend said we is willing to give me his schiit mjolnir for free, so I'm pretty stoked. Would that be a good match with the V1? Also, what do you think of the V1? I want something that'll give me the clear sibilance, but I do kinda enjoy my bass.

May 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #675 of 812

My only problem is that the Ray Samuels cost too much for a second amp. I think I'll go with the Fiio. My friend said we is willing to give me his schiit mjolnir for free, so I'm pretty stoked. Would that be a good match with the V1? Also, what do you think of the V1? I want something that'll give me the clear sibilance, but I do kinda enjoy my bass.

That is all you need!!!!! Actually more than you need. 

I would get a good dac and the fiio 12 and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back