Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #9,001 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know how this dac compares to the Xm5 or 3move?

is the compass a huge upgrade from the zero?

Yes the Compass is a big upgrade over the Zero by a considerable margin.

Peete.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #9,002 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by mplee79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway to tell easily that they are fake, other than using a voltmeter?

The opamps on the dac section look like they are semi soldered in or something to that extent. Was it easy to replace?

the voltmeter is, IMO, the best way to know if they are counterfeit
frown.gif

the 3 opamps in the Zero are DIP8 chips, they are designed to be easily switched
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #9,004 of 9,388
Has anyone here tried the capacitor snipping suggestion? Is it safe to do and how much improvement do you actually hear?

I'm considering getting the moon for the DAC section but need more feedback about it first.

thanks

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9,006 of 9,388
LT1469CN8

Peete.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #9,008 of 9,388
I personally haven't. I don't have a voltmeter. I'm worried that i received a fake one as well. If you scroll up, you'll see a pic of the 627. Bottom line though is if you are worried, order one as the base unit, and upgrade an opamp yourself. I'm switching out the 627 anyway so...

It all really comes down to the music...correct? So far i'm enjoying mine, so whether it is fake or not doesn't really matter.

Also, i don't have a base of comparison. You can get free samples from a couple places.

I personally only care about the longevity of the unit.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #9,009 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kakari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@mplee79 and damsonlee:

So can I assume that you checked the OPA627 using a voltmeter? I am just being wary of all the fake OPA627 chips. :p

No, I didn't check it using a voltmeter. My ZERO had some very loud cracking noise when the preamp was turned on and it was found that the problem is from the OPA627.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #9,010 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by damsonlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peete, can I do your Franken mod to the 09 version ZERO? Do you still have the kit? Thanks!

I think so but I'm not 100% sure without getting a hold of 09 version for myself.

I have the PIO caps for a few kits but the rest of the parts you'll have to source on your own (for those that are interested).

Peete.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #9,013 of 9,388
Hello Guys,
i´ve got Sennheiser IE8 and Zero , do you think i can drive them through Zero´s phone out without any damage?I am worried because of their low impendance ...Does anyone use IE8 with Zero?
Thanks for answers.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #9,014 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by lu-chen-chan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Guys,
i´ve got Sennheiser IE8 and Zero , do you think i can drive them through Zero´s phone out without any damage?I am worried because of their low impendance ...Does anyone use IE8 with Zero?
Thanks for answers.

You might want to pick up an impedance adapter. The Zero's headphone out is VERY powerful. Without one, once accidental turn on the knob, you'll be blowing both your ears and IE8s out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back