Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 7, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #4,906 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you install a simple volume pot somewhere in the lampizated zero?

That would give me the volume control option back, AND the whole mod.

Do you know enough electronics to add the volume option to it do you think?

You would need the pre-amp/headphone section back. Without it, the DAC output is "line level" (fixed) only.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #4,907 of 9,388
As described on this page - ZERODAC

The steps are pretty straightforward, as per the above page:

1. Remove the existing RCA sockets and install the proper Gucci jewellery.
2. Lift the MINUS leg of 1st and 3rd decoupling capacitor - see picture of four Silmic caps in one row. (can be 2nd and 4th as well).
3. Wire the lifted minus leg to the RCA
4. Don't forget to add ground to the RCA's
5. Remove opamp from sockets.
6. If unused - remove the Headphone section altogether.

I used some 22AWG teflon covered silver plated copper wire to some gold coloured RCA jacks from radioshack. Cutting the cap legs and attaching the wire was not as bad as I thought. I think the use of silver/teflon makes things easier here - silver for easy soldering and teflon as it doesn't melt
smily_headphones1.gif

I grounded the new RCAs to the original RCA connector - see yellow & green X in the below image.

gnd-1.jpg

I have the wires all dangling out at the moment, but it does sounds just dandy, very smooth and silky. I think it's better than with HDAM at this point, but I need to do some serious comparisons. First impressions are just that. I need to live with the sound for a few hours. If the kids aren't in bed yet I'll break out the drill and make some holes for the new RCAs.

Edit: Just checked headphone playback after the mod. Headphone playback continues to work, but the signal to the RCA also continues.

In all its glory:

guts.jpg

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #4,909 of 9,388
quick question for EU zero buyers, i ordered the zero from Lawrence...will it have to go through the customs or is it declared as a gift or something similar ?

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #4,910 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is it ok just like that? Looks all nuzzled in and ready to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not getting any problematic interference etc. in the nude; although I've ran into some heat problems, as it turns out that the panels I took off were also acting as copper heatsinks.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #4,911 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not getting any problematic interference etc. in the nude; although I've ran into some heat problems, as it turns out that the panels I took off were also acting as copper heatsinks.
rolleyes.gif

Ow!
smily_headphones1.gif
I didn't even think about removing them. Good point.
smily_headphones1.gif
Gotta have some undies on then.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #4,913 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question for EU zero buyers, i ordered the zero from Lawrence...will it have to go through the customs or is it declared as a gift or something similar ?

You must (and should always) pay customs duties. Be ready to spend an additional 28-30% of the total price+shipping charges and to fax a copy of the paypal payment upon customs request. Ask Lawrence for a copy of the invoice if customs require it. He will email it to you.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #4,914 of 9,388
After I read the Bypass job, I am still confused. I cant even know for sure if I can get it right.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4,915 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pincellone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must (and should always) pay customs duties. Be ready to spend an additional 28-30% of the total price+shipping charges and to fax a copy of the paypal payment upon customs request. Ask Lawrence for a copy of the invoice if customs require it. He will email it to you.

In the US, I didn't have to pay any customs duties or provide any docs. How in the hell can they tax you 30% to import a personal amplifier??? And you have to provide proof of paypal payment? That sucks.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #4,916 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the US, I didn't have to pay any customs duties or provide any docs. How in the hell can they tax you 30% to import a personal amplifier??? And you have to provide proof of paypal payment? That sucks.

Yeah I haven't paid anything on the several things I've ordered from China, and it clears customs within a day, too... 30% is outrageous!

And ccschua - me too! There's a few steps there that I kinda just said
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #4,917 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes in europe there are customs...but it is different from country to country, in Italy i will pay an addidional 20% on the value, i think excluding shipping costs, because surely i don't have to pay a tax for a service which has been requested in a foreign country...i pay value added tax on imported goods....proof of paypal payment...i don't know...the last time i got something from the customs i didn't need to....

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #4,918 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes in europe there are customs...but it is different from country to country, in Italy i will pay an addidional 20% on the value, i think excluding shipping costs, because surely i don't have to pay a tax for a service which has been requested in a foreign country...i pay value added tax on imported goods....proof of paypal payment...i don't know...the last time i got something from the customs i didn't need to....

Sorry pal, Italy is no different from other EU countries if not for the VAT percentage that may vary slightly from country to country.

In Italy you will pay an additional 20% for VAT (sarebbe l'IVA...) + about 10% in duties. This percentage will be calculated on the OVERALL amount (item value+shipping costs). That's the way it is...

You'll get a note by registered mail saying that your item is waiting at customs and you will be required to provide ASAP the information I already mentioned by fax and/or email. Once you do. you will get the item within two to three days. So, in short: don't panic, pay and be patient
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #4,919 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of shielding...

hdamyo0.jpg

icon10.gif

Doesn't your HDAM get too hot right there? That spot is right between the heat sinks for both the DAC and the headamp sections. I had to move my HDAM towards the front of the case on the left side (or right side depending on perspective) of the headamp right next to the potentiometer. Its much cooler up there.

Or maybe I'm just a worry wart.

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #4,920 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by katanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ianp

Can you take a photo with all your wires soldered for this mod from above

The page that I mention has some good images. Let me elucidate the steps a little more:
Quote:

1. Remove the existing RCA sockets and install the proper Gucci jewellery.

I left the existing RCAs alone as I drilled two holes in the back o the case to fit two new RCAs.

Quote:

2. Lift the MINUS leg of 1st and 3rd decoupling capacitor - see picture of four Silmic caps in one row. (can be 2nd and 4th as well).

The first and third capacitors are clearly marked in the below image. You use a pair of snippers to cut the -ve lead and bend the capacitor over a little to give you easy access for the next step.

IMG_5508.jpg

Quote:

3. Wire the lifted minus leg to the RCA

You have cut the -ve leads on two capacitors in the previous step. One capacitor is the left channel and one is the right. You then simply run a wire from this cut -ve lead to the centre of the corresponding RCA plug. A single wire connected to the -ve lead can be seen in the below image.

IMG_5509.jpg

Quote:

4. Don't forget to add ground to the RCA's

On each RCA there is a ground collar/tag that slips over the screw thread that generally has a small hole that is perpendicular to the body of the RCA jack. In the below image you can see the hole at apprx 4 o'clock.

RCA_Jack.jpg

You run a a wire to this ground tag on both RCA jack. Then you run another wire from one of these tags to a suitable ground on the ZERO. As indicated in my earlier post I used the ground on the existing RCA jacks - see below image.

gnd-1.jpg

Quote:

5. Remove opamp from sockets.
6. If unused - remove the Headphone section altogether

I removed the opamp and left the headphone section alone.

Once you have done the above you can then plug everything in an test using your cheapest amp and speakers.

If you like what you hear you can then mount the new RCAs by drilling 2 holes in appropriate areas of the thin metal case back.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back