Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 1, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you describe the soundstage with this amp? perhaps i missed that in the review?

Even with the "stock OPA2604" Opamp, the sound stage is very nice. Not too wide, not too far away. I just finished up checking again with the LM4562 and the sound stage was improved in clarity. Very nice Opamp indeed!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #20 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it compare to Zhaolu D2.5A or D2.5C with upgrade headamp?

To be honest, I have no idea. Comparative reviews are problematic because you never have enough of the right equipment to compare too.
biggrin.gif
Now that the price has dropped $139+ship, maybe more Headfi'ers will purchase one and give up their impressions. I am truly impressed with this Zero unit and hope to read more impressions soon. Good Luck!!

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #22 of 9,388
How sensitive is the volume knob of the Zero DAC with the headphone amp? I've heard reports of how the amp of the Zhaolu D2.5 had fairly high gain, and even with cans like the HD580 it was difficult to use the whole knob?

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #25 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you talking about the OP's DAC?

I was wondering that too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #26 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How sensitive is the volume knob of the Zero DAC with the headphone amp? I've heard reports of how the amp of the Zhaolu D2.5 had fairly high gain, and even with cans like the HD580 it was difficult to use the whole knob?

I had my HD-580s up around the 1:00 position, but I can't imagine listening to it there for long.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #27 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you think it would compare to the beresford? Home HIFI

Especially concerning the headphone amp.

I also would like to know this.

If it is better and includes a better headphone amp that would be good. I'd sell my Mk3.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also would like to know this.

If it is better and includes a better headphone amp that would be good. I'd sell my Mk3.

There are many fans of the beresford, and this in no way discounts their investments in that unit. It appears the Zero has better Specs, but less connections. I would love to do a side by side on them, but my budget keeps me from taking one for the team.
frown.gif
I wouldn't be quick to sell a MKIII to be replaced by the Zero, instead, I would keep the MKIII and use it in conjunction with the Zero. I'm doing this with my MKIVse and the sound is wonderful.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #29 of 9,388
Well, despite my best efforts to get the addendum's finished and posted, Murphy bit me on the rear this weekend! The power supply in my desktop PC blew up in a fantastic electrical show with plenty of stinko to fill my home office!
mad.gif
I have a replacement coming 2 day from Newegg, so I should have it up and running before Friday (7th) and then I will post the updates to my review of the Zero.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #30 of 9,388
How can I get use of this with a laptop as a source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back