Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #9,346 of 9,388
Fix it by replacing the power switch with new one... 
wink.gif

If you feel like replacing ZERO for something better then start with something more expensive than 200$.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #9,347 of 9,388
Hi Amarok,

I had tried open up the case but found the power switch was covered rather firmly, for a non-diyer, no confident to do so.
Last night, when I plug in the power cord, zero power led blink and strange sound came out of the earphone.
I tried to on/off the power button for a few times, then it works again. I can switch on & off the zero last night.
Don't know how long will this last......

Any recommendation if the zero finally die and need a new replacement

thanks.

Mar 15, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #9,348 of 9,388
I don't quite uderstand what's the problem with switch replacement - you just unsrew two screws, remove the black shrink-tube (= cut it open) and replace the switch for new one.
About the recommendation: on the same level as ZERO there is Audinst HUD-mx1 for example; better choices than original ZERO are Audio-GD products (NFB 15 or something second-handed)...

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #9,350 of 9,388
After reading the first several pages of this thread, I bought a Zero.  It arrived last week (about 3 days after my order - from China!). When it arrived, I hooked it up to my PC via the USB port to burn it in.  This is my first dac/headphone amp, but it sounded great to me out of the box. During the burn in process, I happened to be crawling around the back of my computer, and noticed there was an audio out port.  So I trotted over to Radio Shack and got an Auvio digital coax cable. I hooked up the digital coax cable and cycled the Zero (LED light changed) - no sound.  USB still worked.  So I figured maybe there was a problem with the audio digital port on my computer.

However, I actually bought the Zero to use with my home audio system, because my Oppo BDP 103 lacks a headphone jack.  Since the Oppo was already connected to other components, the only available audio out was the digital coax.  So I connected the Zero and the Oppo via Auvio cable, and voila - my HD700's were singing.

I then tried connecting the Zero to my Squeezebox Touch via the USB port, which had worked perfectly when it was hooked up to my computer. NO SOUND!  To check the Squeezebox, I turned my Maggie's on, and the Squeezebox worked fine through them.

So I'm perplexed.  Is the Zero designed to work with only one input connection at a time?  I thought the purpose of the selector was specifically so you could choose among several simultaneously connected sources.  So am I wrong in thinking there is something wrong with my Zero?  Or is there some software or another "trick" I need to try to get it to play music from different inputs simultaneously connected?

If there is something wrong, does anyone have any experience with cheaply shipping something back to China/Hong Kong?

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #9,352 of 9,388
HumanSaurusRex: in the 2010 the ZERO was certainly better than Dacmagic. But I think there were some updates on DACmagic since that time, but there were also quite big audible differences in ZERO in that time.
jocar37: ZERO works even with all inputs connected, so I recommend trying optical input. If optical is OK than the coaxial input is defective (maybe just connector). If the optical is not working then there is something strange happening since the USB in nothing more than USB=>S/PDIF converter with S/PDIF output internally connected to the third S/PDIF input.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #9,353 of 9,388
Hello all,

I have been using the Zero for the past two years with my Q701s and it has been a detailed and analytical journey. I run the LT1364 + LT1469 combination for the DAC/AMP. However, I am looking for a more relaxed, smoother sound and am planning to upgradeto the Audeze LCD-2s.

I was wondering if anybody has had experience with the combination and if the amp has enough power to make the Audezes sound good?

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #9,354 of 9,388
I use the Zero DAC via USB (stock) + LCD-2's and I find it to be quite laid back as it is. I haven't tried LT1364 + LT1469 but i'm in the process of swapping the OPamps to achieve the same feel as you. So i'll let you know how it goes. Other than that the DAC/Amp drives the LCD-2's just fine and sounds great!. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #9,355 of 9,388
Nice! The Opamp switch was a big help to the sound. Bass got tighter and did not sound as recessed. I was able to get them by requesting free samples from Linear. Best deal EVER!! Yea, let me know how it goes.

May 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #9,356 of 9,388
Amarok CZ - I went to use the optical port, but there's a piece of plastic protruding from it.  Is that supposed to be in there?  My optical cable doesn't seem to fit.  I thought maybe it was a protective piece to cover the port when not in use, but it doesn't seem to come out, and I didn't want to force it.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #9,360 of 9,388
This is probably a bit of a noob question, but here goes.  I have the Zero hooked up to an Oppo BDP 103 and a Squeezebox Touch.  I can control the volume with the Touch remote, but not with the Oppo remote, which works fine when listening through my speakers.  Anyone know why the Oppo remote won't let me control the volume through the Zero?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back