Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Oct 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #9,331 of 9,388
Yes, 2Vrms is enough, but here the output will be 4Vrms: output from headphone amplifier is 8Vrms, output impedance of regulated LINE OUT is the same as input impedance of connected amplifier so the output voltage will be 4Vrms (resistive voltage divider: input 8V ant two resistors, both 10k).

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #9,333 of 9,388
Has anyone tried this with HD650, and made comparisons between this and the Schiit Vali?

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #9,334 of 9,388
Anybody can help to find out,how the Zero DAC´s power wires goes?My Zero´s power wires are like in Penchun´s first post,except second one from right is yellow instead white.
I am plan to use this power to my Xmos based USB to SBDIF converter/DAC.I need about +10-15 AC and i think Zero´s power out is suitable for that.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #9,337 of 9,388
Woot. The Zero arrived today.

Almost 6 years to the day since that post, and I've used it on a daily basis ever since. Countless hours of unmodded enjoyment. :)

Except today it stopped working! I opened it up and didn't see any obvious since of destruction. I tried pressing each of the two reset buttons which made some leds blink, but didn't get the sound working again.

I tried swapping out the fuse with the spare (even though the original didn't look burnt out) and that didn't fix anything either.

It powers on and off just fine, and you can cycle through the inputs, but no sound. Tried coax and spdif... nada.

Anyone have a magic solution or is my beloved Zero dead forever?

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #9,339 of 9,388
I wouldn't know where to begin, and probably don't have to equipment to check them anyways. 
redface.gif

I'm assuming they're the little black chips that I can pop out...

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #9,340 of 9,388
yea they are, and you have to make sure the circle or notch on them match the notches on the op-amp socket. you need a IC remover tool

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #9,341 of 9,388
Thanks genclaymore.

Out of curiosity what would "checking" them entail? I assume I'd need a multimeter at the least?

How much might a replacement chip cost, ballpark?

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #9,342 of 9,388
  Thanks genclaymore.

Out of curiosity what would "checking" them entail? I assume I'd need a multimeter at the least?

How much might a replacement chip cost, ballpark?

Depends on which op-amp it is, Some can be had for 4 dollars some more. it be the Dip-8 ones that you want. Because I know if a op-amp goes bad you will loose sound, as I have had some bad op-amps in the past.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #9,343 of 9,388
Just got my Zero yesterday and have been listening to it since power-up and it seems to be getting better all the time(approx. 12 hours on it now) and I have tried an array of different headphones with various impedances and it drives all of them just fine. I must say that this is a helluva buy at less than $200.00 delivered! It makes stringed instruments sound very natural, even my Q701's sound good with it and that is saying something!
If you are reading this and are in doubt about getting one, I would have to say-go for it!
Glad I read the original review of this unit as that is what convinced me to purchase it. Happy camper.
Now back to the music selection and trying some more headphones with it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #9,344 of 9,388
Hey guys, so I have had the zero Dac for about 2 years now been enjoying it alot, now I'm looking to upgrade or to improve, should I get the schiit Vali tune amp and use it with the zero Dac or would it be better to replace the whole thing with the schiit loki Dac?

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #9,345 of 9,388
Hi, I had been using the ZERO DAC (no usb version) for a long time.
Three weeks ago, the power button stop working and the machine keep power-on all the time.
I had tried open the case but can do nothing at all........
Now, I need to unplug the power cord every time after use.
Does anyone have an idea of how to fix it?

On the other hand, if I would like to upgrade to a new DAC +headamp, any recommendation for the price of around $200.

Many many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back