REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Oct 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #361 of 1,613
Heh... It did take a while... But definitely worth the wait. I'll try out those settings. I have no dsd.. Will have to buy some..
:wink:
Oh, make sure you have the power switched in the correct position. And also, download a free DSD file to verify that the DSD does actually work. I recall another DA8 owner who reported a problem with DSD playback and found out that his was defective.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #364 of 1,613
You can import a proxy to iTunes through Audirvana.... You just have to click deactivate playback under iTunes and restart itunes and audirvana and have DSD over PCM standard 1 set so it doesnt get converted, Playing 2Ls 128 DSD classical piece. Sounds smooth.. :wink:

Thanks for your help Darken..

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #365 of 1,613
You can import a proxy to iTunes through Audirvana.... You just have to click deactivate playback under iTunes and restart itunes and audirvana and have DSD over PCM standard 1 set so it doesnt get converted, Playing 2Ls 128 DSD classical piece. Sounds smooth.. :wink:

No problem, glad you're enjoying the DA8. I still think you'd get better audio quality using Jriver or Foobar. Foobar is free so it's at least worth a try.

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #366 of 1,613

Welcome to club! I also use the exact same settings Ken uses for the majority of my listening. However, I personally find the Sharp filter to be better with classical. The nuances of strings get lost in the Slow filter.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #370 of 1,613
...There is

What is it? Cannot find it on Grant Fidelity site.. I notice you used to own the D18..is the improvement of the DA8 very noticeable?
You can completely disable the amp section which will give you a pure dac. This gives you the option of adding a dedicated amp of your choice to the DA8.

When I initially heard the DA8, the differences did not hit me like a train. The train wreck came later, and I can honestly say that the difference is very significant and worth every penny. The thought of settling with the D18 over the DA8 is scary..The tone may be slightly similar but the way DA8 handles timbre and top end extension is really special, the D18 is a very capable dac but the DA8 is on another level.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #371 of 1,613
To be honest, even if the DA8 didnt have a built in amp, Id still purchase the DA8. The quality from the usb, functions, aesthetics, its all there.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #372 of 1,613
I feel I would be paying extra bucks for a feature I wont ever use (the amp)
You cant say that without actually listening to the amp section. Ive havent seen a single DA8 owner complain about the amp thats offered.

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #373 of 1,613
You cant say that without actually listening to the amp section. Ive havent seen a single DA8 owner complain about the amp thats offered.

Well id be pairing it with a Luxman P1- u and the HD800 so unless it sounds better than the Luxman I wont be using it. Thanks for your impressions..im getting tempted to order this.. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #374 of 1,613

Well id be pairing it with a Luxman P1- u and the HD800 so unless it sounds better than the Luxman I wont be using it. Thanks for your impressions..im getting tempted to order this.. 
Well obviously it wouldnt be better than a dedicated amplifier. And given Luxman P1-u and HD800's wonderful synergy, the DA8 would be an excellent addition.

You can even pair the setup with the v200 and get a killer sounding system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back