[Review] Yamaha EPH-100, The "I Just Want To Stay Friends" Affair
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus

[size=19pt]Yamaha EPH-100[/size]

Review

Disclaimer: What I say and what I mean to say are just opinions of my own. What I might say and what I might mean to say are also opinions. Don't take it out on me, for what my fingers press into the keyboard.

My story:

I'm not a big audiophile. I use the equipment and headphones/earphone that I own to listen to music, not the other way around.
What I was looking for before purchasing: Neutral, but fun sound. Isolation. Comfort. Sound. Price.
After some research, it was either low tier Customs (which would have cost me more in the long run), GR07 or the EPH-100's.
I chose the Yamaha EPH-100's.

Now, I'm not big into Yamaha. Thinking back, I can only picture Yamaha as: The crappy recorder I was tormented by played in elementary school, the piano I played to learn guitar, and dirtbikes.
So to say, high end Yamaha IEM's that rival Flagship IEM's, are kinda out of my mind.

Nonetheless, I ordered them after reading through comparisons between GR07's and learning the EPH-100's have some isolation. So I ordered them Via Newegg for $150 and they were delivered 2 days later (free).

First Impressions:

“Ah, well... They don't sound much different than my Brainwavz M1's.”
After a while, I started to really listen in.
So they sounded flat, extremely flat compared to my M1's. With a small punch of bass and smooth highs.

Let's move on

Review:

Packaging:

The packaging reminds me of a prison. With barbwire, razor wire, thorns and concrete walls. My knife, couldn't handle the impenetrable packaging so I had to take out the metal sheers.
Frankly, I got them out.
Then everything started to, not fall out. The earphones sat in plastic molded holds and were hard to remove. The tips had to be pulled and pushed to remove. The extension cable fell out with the second side of the tips. Then I had to search for the soft case. It was hidden in a box, inside the box. Go figure.
Accessories:
5 pairs, xsml, sml, med, lrg, Xlrg double flange tips.
A 1/4inch adapter
6~ extension cable
Soft case with pockets inside
Cable hanger on the headphones as a cable sleeve.

The accessories were fine. But it would have been nice to see foam tips, a shirt clip and a hard cover case.

Build:

“It's fine.” - Is what comes to mind.
The build starts at the earphone body. Aluminum housing turned into shape, covered with Chromium and planted driver inside. The driver's exit face, isn't really protected (as compared to other IEM's) but isn't much of a problem. The head body isn't too light, or too heavy. The cable relief seems good, until you test it and it just doesn't strain enough away from the metal housing.
The cable is a soft malleable cable that has little to no memory in it. But, does like to curl. Let's see how it fairs down the road. There is a cable guide to collect the earphone bodies together with a “handy” hook for the plug end to drop into. The 90degree plug is thin and has a decent cable relief.
The accessories to the earphone are good. The 1/4inch adapter is of the highest quality I've seen with good grip. The tips are good, but not too soft. The case is soft, which doesn't instal any use in protection. The extension cable is fine, same cable material and straight male and female ends.

Isolation:

Isolation is one of the main reasons why I bought this over the GR07. The Isolation is better than a vented driver IEM, but not as good as say, a Etymotic research IEM. - Which I was also looking at. Hearing the Isolation is tough. At first, there is a little, but not much. As music is playing, at a good volume, you are closed off.
Comparison: Walking, outside the main road is loud. Most the time I would need to increase volume to hear my music. I don't have to with the EPH-100's. Period. You can hear what is playing with or without the sound of the outside coming through. I still could hear the cars, but also my music.

Microphonics:

“Alright”
Really? Wearing them down, you can hear when the cable is touched/moved.
Wearing them over-ear, relieves this. You can't hear the noise, as much, but still a fair amount. If you sacrifice some cable guides, this disappears.

Comfort:

The housings are light and small. The aluminum design, body don't interfere with you ear. As above, they can be worn up or down without problem. The cable has that curling memory which pushes it around and might move cable if you're using over-ear. The tips aren't extremely comfortable, but larger ears would like them better. Smaller ears (me), have a difficult problem about holding the housing into my ear. I'm trading off Xsml to Sml to see what fits. You do know that they are there, but when you're not intently noticing that they are, you forget them. Just like “you are now manually breathing.”

Ok, enough of my nitpicking. Let's get on where everyone is going to skip to:

Sound:

When I first listened to them, there was no present mids. Meaning, that they were behind everything else. The highs were smooth and low also with the bass punchy, but knowingly waving in and out of volume. Not bad actually.
After some time, a little burn (not needed), you start to understand the sound.

Bass:

The bass is one of the selling points here. The mostly neutral signature is twisted with the bass. The bass is low, 20-70Hz low. At this range, the bass has punch and is alive. At 80-200hz, the bass starts to lower, settle and rest. For me, this is great. I love low bass. But for electronic/pop music, maybe it's not a good thing.
Also, think of the bass a a rock, with a rope tied to it and thrown to the 20-70Hz range. The rope attached to the rock is pulling at the mids. There is a little bleed of the bass into the mids, but a good one. It's a good bleed as in, it makes the mids feel more alive, more punchy then sharp.

Mids:

As above said, the bass pulls a little of the mids with it. Which adds warmth, depth and a little punch. There are dips in the lower and higher mid range, (which is never bad). But could be a problem with some male singers and lower guitar tones.
Otherwise, the mids are detailed and subtle. They aren't upfront, but hiding in wait. When they are needed, the surprise you with a soft touch.

Highs:

The highs, at first seems fairly low. After some burn, they started to reveal themselves. They aren't sharp or too high, but smooth and clear. They really don't go too high, about 15,000hz is the cut for me. But then, they don't roll off either. They just float off into the sunset....

Soundstage:

The soundstage is good. The area is a line drawn ear to ear and placed about 4inch before you and 2inches off each ear. The height is about as tall as your head, maybe a inch from the bottom shorter.The varying area of that stage is detailed and articulate.

Sound signature:

These are slightly sterile. Like monitors. But with that little bass pull and the smoothed highs, they start turning fun. They also are less fatiguing, so you really enjoy your music longer. The soundstage is quite large is a good match between in your face and far off in the distance. They are clear, detailed and overall fun and easy to listen to.

Amping:

Yes, these need power. Compared to my T50RP (fullsized, orthodynamic) they match the same power need from my receiver. But they will do fine without a amp and don't need one to sound good. All they need is more volume.
Source matching is almost not a worry. They produce a slight sound from my receiver and none from my Cowon or Sansa. But this feedback is little to worry about compared to other IEM's. They also don't take much difference from my sources.

Eqing:

Being Dynamic drivers, fast ones at that, they do EQ well. But the touches you make, have to be small. Also like my T50RP, with the smallest of touches in frequency, these make large changes.

My top picks:

These are songs and genres that I find match the EPH-100's best. In order and with Youtube videos, but not tested from Youtube. I use MP3 192-320kbps files to test.

Ty Segall, It#1

Sorry about the horrible video, audio quality. My rips is much clearer
But, what the EPH-100's do is take horrible recorded or old recordings and remove that worthless excess and smooth out the sound. It#1 is a great example of this. (Try to do his screech) “Oou?!”

Oren Lavie, Locked in a Room

This is a excellent song that you need to listen to the story within the song without the instruments congesting the lyrics. With the isolation of the EPH-100 and the detailed and clear sound, you can hear everything without a problem.

James Blake. A Case of You (Joni Mitchell cover)

I wanted to prove a point. When the piano hits low, the EPH-100 eat up and punch the bass back. When the piano ascends higher into the mid-bass and low-mids, it becomes less powerful. Also with his voice, when he touched the lower tones in his voice, they seem less distinctive than his higher, smoother notes. Still, it's great to hear and the piano comes alive and his voice penetrates with a quick roll throughout the song. The speed of the driver is well loved here.

Bohren & der Club of Gore, Destroying Angels

Deep, dark jazz with a constant upright bass fighting off the piano and drums. The sax echoes through the soundstage, but with a subtle, not striking variant.

Beck, Rental Car (John King remix)

The deep bass that John King adds to this song, coupled with the complicated differentiated tones, notes and rhythms bombarding you would drive any headphone insane. I know that my only other headphone that could possibly show this song better than the EPH-100 is my T50RP – which I compare to the LCD-2. This song is the perfect example where the EPH-100's can shine and prosper throughout it's minor defaults.

Value:

These are a good value. As Earphones/IEM's, they can contend with the flagships on many levels. But as a complete package? Not really. The sound you get is great, but the way you get it can be difficult to put up to your ears and the accessories aren't the best package. If you're looking for great, neutral sound to listen to music, these are great. But if they are your first pair of IEM's, I would heed warning just for a second. These aren't the end-all-to-beat-all of earphones, but a nice pairing. You would feel as if you're starving down the road for a more unique and surprising sound.

Verdict:

The EPH-100's are like the GR07 in these regards: cheap, sounds great and good for almost anything. But that little “almost” is what gets you.
It's the same with how I feel about these. I like them, to the point of loving them. But then, I step back and really don't love them in the end. It's close, but short of just several points and that's enough to push me back. Still, I compare them to my T50RP's that I customized to my own sound preference. These do sound an awful lot like my T50RP's in almost any regard. But, I still have that feeling with my T50RP. The EPH-100, like my T50RP are missing one component of what makes a headphone/earphone special “The X-factor”. There isn't anything I love, or despise. There is nothing that makes these special or terrible in any possible way. They are just, as they should be.

With a neutral, laid back sound with a punchy, low bass. A soundstage that's expansive and detailed, along with the detailed sound structure and clarity; It's easy to see why these are popular.

If you listen to a large variety of music, the neutral sound with a punch of bass would be great for you. But if you prefer more, specialized sound, look else where. Sound quality isn't the biggest factor in a earphone, the sound preference is.  

ENDING RANT:

A Turned Aluminum body with Chromium is NOT needed. Chromium, is what is added to Steel to create Stainless Steel. Iron Oxide (rust) cannot stick to the slick surface of chromium, Rust cannot be created from aluminium. Aluminum and steel contact can create Aluminum Oxide. But in the end there is no reason to coat aluminum with chromium. 
Or to turn the aluminum body. There is no acoustic additions with the turning or any functional use. The flanges cut just scrape at my finger tips.

Also, the cable hold on the slider is worthless. I can't count the number of people on my hand who would use a multiple fold to package their earphone, which would utilize the holder on the EPH-100. Why put one there?

Also, what Yamaha said about the sound directly entering your ear. Sound waves travel in waves, in large circles. They do not travel in lines. Also, your inner-ear is circled like a snail's shell, it's worthless to stuff the driver in the ear then, right? 

Tips, I would like to use my Sony hybrid tips, but NO!

I'm done.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 14
Interesting review. I found a few contradicting statements here and there, and I'm not sure I agreed with the majority of things you stated. For one, I found the accessory package to be superb. The 5 pairs tips included are proprietary double flanges that range from XS to LL.  Yamaha may have chosen to omit foam tips from the package because of possible unintended effects on the sound. The case that comes with them is also better than what you get with the majority of IEMs.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Interesting review. I found a few contradicting statements here and there, and I'm not sure I agreed with the majority of things you stated. For one, I found the accessory package to be superb. The 5 pairs tips included are proprietary double flanges that range from XS to LL.  Yamaha may have chosen to omit foam tips from the package because of possible unintended effects on the sound. The case that comes with them is also better than what you get with the majority of IEMs.

Well yes, that's why I called everything nit-picking.
And I could care less about adding another adjective to my writing.
tongue.gif

The thing is, the 3 tier sizing usually works great. But they needed more sizes because it's hard to fit them in without the correct size, there isn't that much room for suction and expansion of the tips.

Now, I using foam tips on mine at the moment (from one of my other IEM's) and there is no difference in sound. I heard this too in the forums, but then again, maybe the foam had too much space.
Look at the Monster Miles Davis trumpet (non-tribute) that use, practically the same design (I think same driver). They come with foamies that end at the same area the driver ends.

And, MEElectronics gives you everything when you buy a $16 earphone, why can't these people include just a few more thing, like a shirt clip (I don't use it) at all?

But I do see what you mean. If I would rank on the Multi-IEM review thread, I would give the Accessories at least a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5. 

And I don't like soft cases. What's the use of them when they aren't protective. Either way, it's hard to carry around a hardcase. So, trade off to trade off.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Nice and complete review.

It comes close to my thoughts about EPH, they don't give WoW effect, but give me very pleasure in daily usage, listing my variety generic collection, with comfort and no fatigued way.

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 14
Music,
The mids, really stay settled, but they are there. I guess that what gives these more of a laid back feel. The shallow mids, the smooth treble and the haunting bass that bumps every now and then.

Pack, thanks.

On another note, I'm still trying to find a tip that works for me. I might go order so MEElectronics tips, but I fit small ears, so it's kinda of a gamble. I'm going to play with what I have on hand and update a little later.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Nice review, but you could have stopped before the "ending rant".
wink_face.gif

Quote:

ENDING RANT:

A Turned Aluminum body with Chromium is NOT needed. Chromium, is what is added to Steel to create Stainless Steel. Iron Oxide (rust) cannot stick to the slick surface of chromium, Rust cannot be created from aluminium. Aluminum and steel contact can create Aluminum Oxide. But in the end there is no reason to coat aluminum with chromium. 
Or to turn the aluminum body. There is no acoustic additions with the turning or any functional use. The flanges cut just scrape at my finger tips.

This is not completely accurate. Stainless steel delays rusting because oxidation of the 10-11% chromiumin the alloy produces chromium oxide, which forms a layer resistant to oxygen and moisture preventing formation of iron oxide (at least for some time).
wink.gif

Aluminium doesn't rust per say because rust is iron oxide, not aluminium oxide, and surface oxidation of aluminium produces a thin coating of aluminium oxide which usually prevents further oxidation, similarly to chromium oxide.
So you don't need to chrome plate aluminium for chemical reasons, you're right.

But it is still a good choice to provide a nice shiny finish (aluminium oxide is dull grey with a black-ish tinge, not exactly visually appealing).
Also, other aluminium surface treatments (including anodizing, sanding, paint, varnish...) may avoid this ugly dull aspect, but aluminium is very malleable, and thus very prone to scratches.
The chrome plating will harden the surface, making the aluminium body more scratch-resistant.

Overall, most aluminium items are surface-treated for at last one of these reasons, we shouldn't complain about it.
wink.gif

Quote:
Also, what Yamaha said about the sound directly entering your ear. Sound waves travel in waves, in large circles. They do not travel in lines. Also, your inner-ear is circled like a snail's shell, it's worthless to stuff the driver in the ear then, right? 

I'm not a sound engineer so I'm not a rocket scientist in this area, but sound waves diffuse in straight directions (= in straight lines as a view of the mind), even though they diffuse in all directions (what you would call a "large circle") when the source is not channeled. The more you channel the sound, the further it can go in a straight direction (it transmits as longitudinal waves in gases like air). Most IEMs are built so the sound is channelled as much as possible to reduce reflection/damping by the ear canals until it reaches the eardrums.
So technically Yamaha doesn't say anything wrong, although they're not doing anything special when compared to most IEMs.

Nevertheless, the distance at which drivers are placed from internal ears can greatly affect soundstage, and Yamaha did choose to place their drivers as deep as they could. You may like it or not, but again there's nothing wrong with their statement, it's just basic marketing. Some brands will advocate the opposite, so I wouldn't make a big deal about it.

I'm much more doubtful when I see some "pseudo-science" with IEM housings having "specific" shapes mimicking whatever part of the internal ear to produce a "better" sound. Which is obviously never documented. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Nevertheless, the distance at which drivers are placed from internal ears can greatly affect soundstage, and Yamaha did choose to place their drivers as deep as they could. You may like it or not, but again there's nothing wrong with their statement, it's just basic marketing. Some brands will advocate the opposite, so I wouldn't make a big deal about it.

Marketing companies could care less about physics. 
tongue_smile.gif

I only see the use in pushing the driver to the inner-ear to force the sound without the nozzle to send it through. I'm not too sure if this would help, but it's a nice idea to suffocate the ear for isolation. Another example of this is the Monster Miles Davis (non-tribute) which I believe has the same exact driver. (We may never know)

Oh, and sorry, but all you said, was exactly what I said. Aluminum oxide is created with aluminum and iron contact. Aluminum doesn't create it's own (rust) without the need for steel to contact since there is no molecular energy sharing. But then, I'm not a scientist.

And it's called a rant, because it's a rant. I can "rant" what I want. Didn't you read the disclaimer?

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Marketing companies could care less about physics. 
tongue_smile.gif

I only see the use in pushing the driver to the inner-ear to force the sound without the nozzle to send it through. I'm not too sure if this would help, but it's a nice idea to suffocate the ear for isolation. Another example of this is the Monster Miles Davis (non-tribute) which I believe has the same exact driver. (We may never know)

Placing the driver in the ear canal works on the same principle as eartips. You funnel the sound created by the driver directly into the ear using the sound tube in the eartips. By placing the driver in the nozzle, you cut out the middle man and reduce the chances of distortion. You also get greater control over the soundstage and imaging.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Aluminum oxide is created with aluminum and iron contact. Aluminum doesn't create it's own (rust) without the need for steel to contact since there is no molecular energy sharing. But then, I'm not a scientist.

And it's called a rant, because it's a rant. I can "rant" what I want. Didn't you read the disclaimer?

Aluminium oxide comes from the oxidation of aluminium by oxygen or water, I don't see what iron has to do with this, but fine, I'm sorry I was trying to discuss in a thread, I was under the impression that forums exist primarily to discuss.
It's still a fine review, I'm just surprised that you would complain about points which are just aesthetic added value and nothing more.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:

Placing the driver in the ear canal works on the same principle as eartips. You funnel the sound created by the driver directly into the ear using the sound tube in the eartips. By placing the driver in the nozzle, you cut out the middle man and reduce the chances of distortion. You also get greater control over the soundstage and imaging.

I would really like to see what the difference is.

But, it's probably impossible to find the same driver in the ear canal vs. funneled through.

Then again, that's where these are the same as my and other people's T50RP. They need a perfect seal to sound at their best.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

They need a perfect seal to sound at their best.

How you get a the best sound, deep insertion with more tight or more loose?

To me is with deep insertion but slightly loose, give me more air in soundstage.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

How you get a the best sound, deep insertion with more tight or more loose?

To me is with deep insertion but slightly loose, give me more air in soundstage.

I'm using some really small foamies. It's quite deep, but with a little suction. They do move a bit if they don't have a little vacuum to the inside.

Other than that, it really wouldn't matter. If they are spaced differently, the soundstage wouldn't change. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 14
Greedy double post:

"AH!!!" My voice at the massive sound that this song. It's another amazing song that the EPH-100's polish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back