[REVIEW] Woo WA6 vs Schiit Valhalla vs ALO Pan Am. The hard sell.
Jan 3, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:
WA7 vs Pan Am driving the LCD-2: that would be a great fight! (with Mullard CV4010 on one hand and Electro Harmonix 6C45 one the other) 
rolleyes.gif

exactly what i plan to eventually do!
In the interim (depending on when an exact wait time is released) i may just get a little dot 3? first i need to find out exactly what the deal is with this wa7. Anyone got any specs/a geek sheet yet? I dont need to know anything other than if it has more power than the wa6. The house sound is nice enough for me, and with a little rolling im sure i can dial in the perfect bass. It would really upset me if it was gutless though- i dont want to be just buying a designer piece of furniture (which is lovely all the same).

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #17 of 33
WA7

[size=12pt]Specifications:[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Single-ended, class-A, transformers output[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Linear external high-performance power supply[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Two 6C45 driver/power tubes[/size]
[size=10pt]   o   [/size] C-Media 6631 USB chip
[size=10pt]   o   [/size] TI PCM5102 32-bit DAC chip
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Headphones impedance : 8-600 Ohms[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Input impedance: 100 Kilo-Ohms[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Sampling rate: up to 32-Bit, 192kHz[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Inputs: 1 Asynchronous USB2.0, 1 RCA[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Outputs: 1 1/4" and 1 1/8" headphone outputs, 1 RCA (same connector as the input)[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Max output: approx 1 watt @ 32 ohms[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Frequency response: 11Hz to 27kHz, +/-0.5dB[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Distortion: <0.03%[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]S/N: 95dB[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] Power consumption: 25W max
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Mains supply: 100-120V, 220-240V, 50/60Hz, user selectable[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Finish: Anodized aluminum[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]DC cord length: 4.25 ft or 1.3 m[/size]
[size=10pt]o   [/size] [size=10.5pt]Dimension: AMP: 4.8" L x 4.8" W x 5.1" H with glass
                            PSU: 7.5" L x 3.5" W x 2.2" H[/size]

[size=10pt]o   [/size] Weight: AMP - 5.3 lbs / 2.4kg, Glass - 3.3 lbs / 1.5kg
         PSU - 2.8 lbs / 1.4kg

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
exactly what i plan to eventually do!
In the interim (depending on when an exact wait time is released) i may just get a little dot 3? first i need to find out exactly what the deal is with this wa7. Anyone got any specs/a geek sheet yet? I dont need to know anything other than if it has more power than the wa6. The house sound is nice enough for me, and with a little rolling im sure i can dial in the perfect bass. It would really upset me if it was gutless though- i dont want to be just buying a designer piece of furniture (which is lovely all the same).

from Cnet:
"It’s warm and vibrant but not dark, and open with great detail and soundstage, transparent, and POWERFUL. 
Not Schitt or EF5/6 powerful, but at least 3x more power than my WA6 (maybe as much as the WA6 SE?)."

Actually with these specifications I don't know why i'm still hesitating with the Pan Am... Maybe because the tube rolling is gonna be poor with the WA7 unit and maybe because Pan Am + LCD2 = 
o2smile.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
 I think if it had a 24/192 capable input and the Gateway and Pan Am for $599, then it would be a very good DAC/Amp for the money.

I managed to snag that combo for $569 + free shipping during their black friday sale.  Wouldnt have bought them at their full price of $750, but I saw a deal and jumped on it during a time when I was hunting for headfi gear.

Cant compare the Pan Am to anything else as its my first amp, but I'm glad its receiving praise from some people as that helps justify my choice going into this blind.

Now to find something that bests the 650.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 33
GREAT news thanks guys!
Quote:
from Cnet:
"It’s warm and vibrant but not dark, and open with great detail and soundstage, transparent, and POWERFUL. 
Not Schitt or EF5/6 powerful, but at least 3x more power than my WA6 (maybe as much as the WA6 SE?)."

Actually with these specifications I don't know why i'm still hesitating with the Pan Am... Maybe because the tube rolling is gonna be poor with the WA7 unit and maybe because Pan Am + LCD2 = 
o2smile.gif

why do you say this noxway? is the tube family that limited? we have good access to tubes from around the world now with the magic of the internet
bigsmile_face.gif
 Also that glass top is totally removable, apparently quite easily. 
While we're on the topic, im actually really excited for the glass top, it means if i put it up on a bench or sidebard or whatever i can leave the tubes warm and leave the room without worrying about the little one/s burning a hand. Not an issue for some of you, but if you have a 1-3 year old around you know what i mean... even the quietest ones touch EVERYTHING, especially shiny things!

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
GREAT news thanks guys!

why do you say this noxway? is the tube family that limited? we have good access to tubes from around the world now with the magic of the internet
bigsmile_face.gif
 Also that glass top is totally removable, apparently quite easily. 
While we're on the topic, im actually really excited for the glass top, it means if i put it up on a bench or sidebard or whatever i can leave the tubes warm and leave the room without worrying about the little one/s burning a hand. Not an issue for some of you, but if you have a 1-3 year old around you know what i mean... even the quietest ones touch EVERYTHING, especially shiny things!

AFAIK there are only Sovtek or Electro Harmonix 6C45 tubes available; that's why i'm saying the rolling will be poor...

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #25 of 33
I suppose that's another factor to consider when doing straight cost comparisons with tube amps.

I'm not familiar with the WA7 tube family or even the Schiit Lyr, but I've quickly browsed through the Schiit tube rolling thread and noticed that people were buying $200+ tubes. 

I know, for at least the Pan Am, that you'll probably only need 3 sets of tubes to fully be happy (without having the urge to see what's better).

1) Russian Tubes - $9/pair (for clean powerful bass)
2) Siemens - $29/pair (for clean mids/trebles, larger soundstage)

Or don't get the above and just get the Mullard CV4010 for $20/pair which is supposed to be good at everything.

Tube rolling can get expensive with other amps.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:
what about 6S45P-E (reflektor) or WE437 (if you have a spare $500-$1000 to spend on the unobtanium of Western Electric) these wouldnt fit? i assumed they would
confused_face_2.gif

You're right but the choice isn't this big: russian (20$) or electro harmonix (50$) or WE ($$$$$); The Pan Am compatible tubes are a lot more (and affordable too)

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #27 of 33
well theres the stock russians, the reflektors ($25), EH ($30-$60), WE(not really an option at that price), and other re-issues of the original russian tube with different suffixes (found two others on ebay). 
Reality is, in Australia with the way the pricing seems to work here, we would pay about the same fr both units (pan am and wa7). As it stand im waiting for the wa7. Sure you are slightly more limited- but then again there are only two tubes for the pan am worth rolling anyways- so they are not that different. For my money i feel i get much more with the wa7, from obvious design and build, to power, features and function. If they were at a different price point i would have gone with the pan am

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 33
Great review. One thing I have noticed is the build quality difference between the three.  Personally having experience in fabrication and cnc machining, Woo Audio blows ALO out of the water. No doubt that ALO stuff sounds great, but I wish it was built with the kind of attention to detail as the Woo Audio stuff, or even the Apex Glacier.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back