Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
Nov 13, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #121 of 508
the 5V4G is very good on the wa6 modified, but a different tube on the SE...
it's extremely well focused, transparent and the bass is deeeep with control...
the higher voltage must be the x-factor.

the one in your pic is the earlier type with larger plates in parallel... it's the
one i prefer.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #122 of 508
Yeah, I am still getting the slightly hard edge as before but I use my Ed. 9's all the time. I like the big ole EML or the Princess in there. The old Philco/Sylvania 5U4GB is still a nice tube to use also (4 hole on the inside of the plates where they are joined and 6 on the outside).

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #123 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 5V4G is very good on the wa6 modified, but a different tube on the SE...
it's extremely well focused, transparent and the bass is deeeep with control...
the higher voltage must be the x-factor.

the one in your pic is the earlier type with larger plates in parallel... it's the
one i prefer.

Could be as operating points is what it is all about.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #124 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I am still getting the slightly hard edge as before but I use my Ed. 9's all the time. I like the big ole EML or the Princess in there. The old Philco/Sylvania 5U4GB is still a nice tube to use also (4 hole on the inside of the plates where they are joined and 6 on the outside).

synergy... i believe in it... i haven't tried the 5V4G with the gs1000 or the denon
d5000... only the senns and 701... there's no doubt the 274b are top of the
pyramid though... but for 1/10th of the price the 5V4G is a great backup... as
well as the gz30 and others...

ps: there is some edginess at the top with the 5V4G and the gs1000/denon d5000

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #125 of 508
One of the features of my WA6SE that I enjoy most is one that I didn't focus on much in my review... the two separate headphone jacks. I have a set of phones for each jack, and now my wife and I can (and do) enjoy listening together.

I asked Jack about using both headphones at the same time... would it damage the amp and would it degrade the sound? He gave the sensible warnings about lowering the volume before inserting or removing a headphone, but otherwise he gave a green light. He said "the amp is like a fire hydrant". He went on to explain that the second hose (err... phone) would get the same power as the one used alone, and there is no degradation of the signal. I have tested this myself and I cannot hear any significant difference with either of my phones using two at a time vs. one at a time.

I think this solution to impedance matching is much preferable to the switch used on the WA6. First of all, it avoids the switch but the utility of being able to use two cans at once is a great feature for me.

Of course, in order to take advantage of this, you need both a high impedance and a low impedance headphone to match with the proper jack. I bought my second cans (Denon D2000's) with that in mind, and cabled them with a matching Blue Dragon/Furutech as much for asthetics as sound.

bluedragonx2.jpg

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #126 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bluedragonx2.jpg

Very Nice!!!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #127 of 508
Hey that is almost the same setup that I have! My woo 6 se is silver though and I have a set of Denon D5000 headphones along with HD650. My girlfriend and I always listen to classical music together with this amp...very useful !!!

Sorry for the crappy photos from my iphone
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #128 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even when these RCA's were new, they didn't sound harsh or muddy. Are yours the same as these? Note the shield between the plates. I hear some don't have them. I'm not sure that makes a difference though.

DSC_1607.jpg

Back to the RCA 6DE7 discussion...

I got another set of RCA's. I bought them off eBay as "NOS". When I got them... well, it was like a box of chocolates as Forrest Gump's mother would say. They are the tubes that are shown in the picture two posts above this one.

The boxes are like new, and are date stamped 09/60. The tubes sound great in my amp, and I was pretty happy until I did a closer inspection. One of the tubes has the RCA logo and has the two plates with the shield. The other tube has no brand logo (completely rubbed off) and has the cross-style second plate with several perforations and no shield.

The tube with no brand logo is stamped 6DE7, but it does not say "U.S.A." above it like the RCA does and the size of the "6DE7" is slighter larger than the same printing on the RCA. The tube with no logo does not have the black box at the top of one of the plates like the RCA does, instead it is finished with a smaller thin black square like my Sylvania.

I suspect, given the condition of the boxes vs. the tubes, that this was a tube pull. Someone probably pulled all of the tubes out of a unit, threw away the shorted one, and put the remaining old working tubes back in the new boxes. Tube pulling was a fairly common practice for TV's, as the service call was more than the full set of tubes and people were happy to pay for a new set of tubes to avoid having to call the serviceman back in a month. If one tube went, the rest were bound to go soon - at least that was the logic at the time. Many servicemen held on to these old working tubes to be used in an emergency to keep a customer going if they were out of stock on that particular new tube.

Anyway, if my theory is correct, these recycled 6DE7 tubes ended up in my hands. That being the case, they would be used but also probably older than 1960.

Is it possible that the tube without the shield is RCA also? Did they make both styles? This goes back to atbglenn's point that I quoted above. The construction looks like my Sylvania tubes, but maybe they are some other brand or RCA's made for someone else.

RCA or not, should I be happy to pair these tubes together if they sound good together? I don't see how it could harm the amp, and the sound is the ultimate grade card.

I don't plan to return them because the seller and I reached an agreement over them not being "NOS", whereby I would keep the tubes and receive a refund of the auction price less shipping. I am happy to pay this small amount for spare tubes and new boxes, but I am considering whether to use them.

Thanks for any help that the other 6DE7 users could give me in clarifying the questions above, particularly whether this tube might be RCA and should I have concern about using them together.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #129 of 508
I purchased the RCA's pictured in my post from thetubestore.com. I called and spoke to a very friendly guy who was willing to go though his stock and tell me exactly what he had. I ended up with these 4 RCA's, all exactly the same with the shield. Unfortunately I cant remember the salesman's name. The total cost with shipping was $35.75. back in April. Maybe they still have some in stock?

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #130 of 508
The salesman at thetubestore.com was indeed really nice, and went through his stock for me. Unfortunately, they did not have any at this time.

He said that the 6DE7 is not a widely-used tube, and not an expensive one. Therefore, it wasn't something that they actively seek to keep in stock. He had some Sylvanias and some GE black plates made in Canada.

I tried the mixed pair again last night, and they sound really good. Very clean and a great soundstage for 6DE7's. I am beginning to believe that "old tube" is the best way to go regardless of brand or matching.

I still wish I knew the brand of the mystery tube.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #131 of 508
Orcin,

Why don't you give tubedepot.com a call. Maybe they have them. You never know unless you try
smile.gif

Glenn

Edit: how do the Denon's sound with the Woo? I was thinking about getting them. A friend of mine who doesn't live local, tells me they're great. He's driving them with a Gilmore Lite.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #132 of 508
Quote:

Orcin,

Why don't you give tubedepot.com a call. Maybe they have them. You never know unless you try
smile.gif

Glenn

Edit: how do the Denon's sound with the Woo? I was thinking about getting them. A friend of mine who doesn't live local, tells me they're great. He's driving them with a Gilmore Lite.

The Denon sound good with the Woo, but they are a little better in the bass with a SS amp.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #133 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon sound good with the Woo, but they are a little better in the bass with a SS amp.

Better as in tighter, deeper, better defined?

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #134 of 508
Quote:

Better as in tighter, deeper, better defined?

Yes - tons of bass with the Woo, but with the Single Power Square Wave XL the bass is tighter and better defined just a bit. The WA6 isn't bad at all, it's just not quite there with the D2000/D5000 like the SS amp with these low impedance phones.

Also, this is with my having a 4-pin XLR plug on the D2000, the single ended adapter is plugged into the WA6 and the balanced adapter plugged into the Single Power - then moving the headphone between the two amps by unplugging the 4-pin from one APS V3 adapter and plugging into the other. So, they are running balanced on the Single Power, but the WA6 is single ended only.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #135 of 508
Quote:

Orcin,

smile.gif

Glenn

Good idea. I'll give them a call.

Regarding the D2000s, it is really hard for me to judge yet because they are not completely burned in. However, I am very impressed so far. They have a recessed midrange as everyone says, and on some music this makes the HD600's sound much more clean and balanced. But then I put on something like Pink Floyd and the Denons sound more full and powerful, like what I remember from a good set of speakers back in the day. Right now, I am considering the HD600's to be the serious reference set and the D2000's to be the fun party set.

My wife comes over to listen, and she makes me give her the Senns if that is worth anything to you as a recommendation.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure Larry's comment is valid since he has spent a lot more time with the phones than I have, and he has a WA6 with pdps like yours. I haven't heard them with a ss amp yet, except for a brief time at the Houston meet. Shelly and I are going to get together sometime soon and compare her GS-1 and SP Extreme to the WA6SE (among other things). That should give me a good idea of how they sound with ss amps vs. tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back