REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jul 11, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #1,546 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already got 5 pairs of Shure olives, so the question remaining is:

Um3x or W3.. I am not going to buy custom made earbuds.
I dont really mind the SQ, both should be great, but I do mind the comfort! Will the Shure Olives seal perfectly on the Um3x as well?
I dont like to have earphones very far in my earcannels!

Yes, the the Shure olives will fit the Um3X. The UM3X fits a tad deeper into the ear canal, also having a smaller housing. So more people tend to find that they fit inside the concha easier than the W3. It's just a fact that the W3 has a larger housing. If you have larger ears, you won't find a problem with both. i personally find the Um2 (which is the same size and shape as UM3X) to fit better in my ears than the W3

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #1,547 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! So comfort wise they are about the same..

Then i should look to SQ and soundstage: i prefer fun sound over super balanced sound, so i guess the W3's will fit that bill the best?

Tough call. W3s are a tough recommend from me because of their fit/sound quirks and everyone's different ears/hearing. Like UM2s, the UM3X seem a safer bet for complete satisfaction. I got my W3s in mid-January, otherwise I might have thought twice and gone with the UM3X (maybe) - but I'm certainly not looking back to anything previous. In spite of a dubious start I'm loving my W3s and have no intention of looking elsewhere for at least awhile ... Good luck.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #1,549 of 2,117
X3! Chiming in to say I too am very impressed with W3 so far....excellent IEM. Still tip-fiddling to see what happens. As my right ear canal is so cavernous (so it would seem in regard to Westone - UM3X was hard to seal on my right too), I'm having to use the largest silicon. Nice seal then, & easily achieved. Sadly, I've never got on with flanges of any description w/ any of my IEMs, but will try modding by chopping down...But the large silicon work well enough, if sometimes feeling a little too boomy sometimes.

Overall, very pleased to have W3 in my line-up. Very pleased indeed...

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #1,550 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X3! Chiming in to say I too am very impressed with W3 so far....excellent IEM.

Hey stevie, did you listen to them exclusively for a while???
ph34r.gif

Quote:

They're really nice, I agree
smile_phones.gif

So how did your other phones sound when you went back to them?

Q.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #1,551 of 2,117
Stevie, in case you haven't read it in the dozen times I have posted it, I really find the modded tri-flanges (stalk trimmed) to be an excellent option, but, and it's a big but (pardon the disgusting imagery), I find the need to EQ the treble just a tad with that tip on my Sony, Clip and even Touch. I also use the W3s with the Zune, no EQ, and it sounds a little veiled, but I get used to it after 1-2 tracks. My guess is you are anti-EQ, but it works for me. Maybe worth a try.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #1,552 of 2,117
Quote:

X3! Chiming in to say I too am very impressed with W3 so far....excellent IEM. Still tip-fiddling to see what happens. As my right ear canal is so cavernous (so it would seem in regard to Westone - UM3X was hard to seal on my right too), I'm having to use the largest silicon. Nice seal then, & easily achieved. Sadly, I've never got on with flanges of any description w/ any of my IEMs, but will try modding by chopping down...But the large silicon work well enough, if sometimes feeling a little too boomy sometimes.

Hey, Stevie, since I know you a big fan of TF10pro, what make you think W3 is so excellent?

The reason I am asking is my new urge to let go of SE 530 to get W3.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #1,553 of 2,117
I keep landing back on the black foams. The silicons work well for me, but the seal is pretty strong.. Embarassingly strong in some instances when I'm standing there for a minute or two while I wrestle with my ears. Don't worry though. I'm not pulling a jim carrey or anything like that. Gotta love the W3 cable. But if Shure borrowed their cable.. I might used my shure products a lot more
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #1,554 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep landing back on the black foams. The silicons work well for me, but the seal is pretty strong.. Embarassingly strong in some instances when I'm standing there for a minute or two while I wrestle with my ears. Don't worry though. I'm not pulling a jim carrey or anything like that. Gotta love the W3 cable. But if Shure borrowed their cable.. I might used my shure products a lot more
smily_headphones1.gif

i agree, if Shure has better cables (not saying their bad, just i'm sure more would prefer a more flexible and lighter cable), and puts some strain reliefs on their Earphones. I would certainly love the products much more

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #1,555 of 2,117
[size=small]Sorry for the slow replies, guys. A working weekend, no time to surf & catch up...[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey stevie, did you listen to them exclusively for a while???
ph34r.gif

They're really nice, I agree
smile_phones.gif

So how did your other phones sound when you went back to them?

Q.

[size=small]Honestly, sooz, I have religiously only listened to W3, lol. Wanted to get Triple Fi SS out of my system so I could concentrate on the Westones. Will open Pandora's Box sometime this week...As they sound so different, my feeling is that the crown may be shared w/ TF10. Complementary reign & all that....
biggrin.gif
[/size]

[size=small]You are right - they are really nice![/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stevie, in case you haven't read it in the dozen times I have posted it, I really find the modded tri-flanges (stalk trimmed) to be an excellent option, but, and it's a big but (pardon the disgusting imagery), I find the need to EQ the treble just a tad with that tip on my Sony, Clip and even Touch. I also use the W3s with the Zune, no EQ, and it sounds a little veiled, but I get used to it after 1-2 tracks. My guess is you are anti-EQ, but it works for me. Maybe worth a try.

[size=small]Thx Tom. I'll try it. But flanges usually drive me nuts after a few minutes, sadly - my ear canals start itching & I have to get em out. I had some success with the clear Ety double flanges w/ my ER-6, but that merely prolonged the tolerance level for up to 20-30 minutes...The double flange with IE8 I can stand, however. But that is so shallow insertion it's not the same as the deep ones...And yeah, you're right -I'm not much of an EQer, but not anti per se...I'll play around in Rockbox...[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Stevie, since I know you a big fan of TF10pro, what make you think W3 is so excellent?

The reason I am asking is my new urge to let go of SE 530 to get W3.
ksc75smile.gif

[size=small]Hey GB. As I haven't yet directly A/B'd W3 & Trips, I'll just say a few words about how I'm finding W3, w/out resorting too much to Triples
biggrin.gif
[/size]

[size=small]OK, what impressed me?[/size]
  1. [size=small]Very good separation & imaging[/size]
  2. [size=small]Very good ability to resolve complex passages[/size]
  3. [size=small]Wonderful impact and woody sound to drums (I'm an ex-drummer, so I really like good percussion portrayal)[/size]
  4. [size=small]Nice enough soundstage - not as good as TF10, but way better than Etys/UM3X [/size]
  5. [size=small]Great effortless presentation of crescendo & climax[/size]
  6. [size=small]Very easy to listen to -euphonic sound, fun and enjoyable[/size]
  7. [size=small]Mids are just about right - not too forward[/size]
[size=small]I had a great night yesterday, running thru La Boheme ( a normally too-bright recording for me -just right on W3, lovely bloom and clear natural staging. Superb). Also Ray Charles -wonderful energetic sheeny brass, great tactile portrayal on his organ playing, and then onto Monkey - Journey To The West: fantastic! Want to hear W3 being wonderful? Listen to Monkey. Excllent soundstage, great layering and imaging...[/size]

[size=small]On the other uh-oh side, sometimes the bass is too boomy (tips?) & the treble is sometimes too soft - and confusingly, other times it's superb - you don't not hear or find it hard to pick out treble detail, and in the middle of an orchestra a triangle is still plainly heard, but it's not as forward or clear as Triple Fi.....Overall, W3 presents a very enjoyable listening experience. A bit warm, but hey, I can change! I am impressed.[/size]

[size=small]Would I choose W3 over Se530? Heh, I'm not the best person to ask....
biggrin.gif
[/size]
[size=small](vigourously nodding head)[/size]

[size=small]One weird thing I have noticed with W3 is that I hear sounds on my left a lot more clearly than with my other IEMs. I have slight treble hearing loss (watch ticking, no sharp edges, that kind of thing) in my left ear from a surly meeting w/ the Pacific years ago (she dumped me, lol)....W3 seems able to give me a bit more detail to my left ear hearing - I have not a clue why this should be so....[/size]

[size=small]Onward![/size]

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #1,557 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree, if Shure has better cables (not saying their bad...

Well you can definitely say they're really not that great. I don't think anyone's going to argue with you. Westone's cables are alright, but I honestly think after trying all three that the best cable I've ever seen is on the Sennheiser IE8. It's just absolutely fantastic.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #1,559 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. The Westone Cables are nice, but I think the IE8 cable is better.

I prefer the Earsonics Cable myself, haven't tried the IE8 one yet.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #1,560 of 2,117
Quote:

[size=small]Sorry for the slow replies, guys. A working weekend, no time to surf & catch up...[/size]

[size=small]Honestly, sooz, I have religiously only listened to W3, lol. Wanted to get Triple Fi SS out of my system so I could concentrate on the Westones. Will open Pandora's Box sometime this week...As they sound so different, my feeling is that the crown may be shared w/ TF10. Complementary reign & all that....
biggrin.gif
[/size]

[size=small]You are right - they are really nice![/size]

[size=small]Thx Tom. I'll try it. But flanges usually drive me nuts after a few minutes, sadly - my ear canals start itching & I have to get em out. I had some success with the clear Ety double flanges w/ my ER-6, but that merely prolonged the tolerance level for up to 20-30 minutes...The double flange with IE8 I can stand, however. But that is so shallow insertion it's not the same as the deep ones...And yeah, you're right -I'm not much of an EQer, but not anti per se...I'll play around in Rockbox...[/size]

[size=small]Hey GB. As I haven't yet directly A/B'd W3 & Trips, I'll just say a few words about how I'm finding W3, w/out resorting too much to Triples
biggrin.gif
[/size]

[size=small]OK, what impressed me?[/size]
  1. [size=small]Very good separation & imaging[/size]
  2. [size=small]Very good ability to resolve complex passages[/size]
  3. [size=small]Wonderful impact and woody sound to drums (I'm an ex-drummer, so I really like good percussion portrayal)[/size]
  4. [size=small]Nice enough soundstage - not as good as TF10, but way better than Etys/UM3X [/size]
  5. [size=small]Great effortless presentation of crescendo & climax[/size]
  6. [size=small]Very easy to listen to -euphonic sound, fun and enjoyable[/size]
  7. [size=small]Mids are just about right - not too forward[/size]
[size=small]I had a great night yesterday, running thru La Boheme ( a normally too-bright recording for me -just right on W3, lovely bloom and clear natural staging. Superb). Also Ray Charles -wonderful energetic sheeny brass, great tactile portrayal on his organ playing, and then onto Monkey - Journey To The West: fantastic! Want to hear W3 being wonderful? Listen to Monkey. Excllent soundstage, great layering and imaging...[/size]

[size=small]On the other uh-oh side, sometimes the bass is too boomy (tips?) & the treble is sometimes too soft - and confusingly, other times it's superb - you don't not hear or find it hard to pick out treble detail, and in the middle of an orchestra a triangle is still plainly heard, but it's not as forward or clear as Triple Fi.....Overall, W3 presents a very enjoyable listening experience. A bit warm, but hey, I can change! I am impressed.[/size]

[size=small]Would I choose W3 over Se530? Heh, I'm not the best person to ask....
biggrin.gif
[/size]
[size=small](vigourously nodding head)[/size]

[size=small]One weird thing I have noticed with W3 is that I hear sounds on my left a lot more clearly than with my other IEMs. I have slight treble hearing loss (watch ticking, no sharp edges, that kind of thing) in my left ear from a surly meeting w/ the Pacific years ago (she dumped me, lol)....W3 seems able to give me a bit more detail to my left ear hearing - I have not a clue why this should be so....[/size]

[size=small]Onward![/size]

Thanks Steve. Sounds amazing to me. Bass and soundstage is a bit lacking in UM3X, it is time to let SE 530 go.

I am on board soon
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back