REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jul 10, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #1,531 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I always have my Westone ES3X, UE11Pro and JH13Pro (ships tomorrow)...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Since the ES3X are even moar better than UM3X, I never got the UM3X.

can't wait to here your thoughts on the JH13PRO, I'm getting impressions tomorrow for the ES3X and the JH10X3PRO.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #1,532 of 2,117
HeadphoneAddict, I understand that you have to experiment to find the right tips. But once you do, how easily do the W3's go in? I know some you have to lift your ear back a certain way to insert. The X10 seemed to just goes right in but I'm concerned about reliability and was hoping for a bit more in sound quality. From your descriptions the W3 sounds like it's just that. You mentioned how you like how the X10 could just pop in and out easily when you needed to talk to someone or answer the phone. How do the W3's compare for you in that regard?

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #1,533 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, I understand that you have to experiment to find the right tips. But once you do, how easily do the W3's go in? I know some you have to lift your ear back a certain way to insert. The X10 seemed to just goes right in but I'm concerned about reliability and was hoping for a bit more in sound quality. From your descriptions the W3 sounds like it's just that. You mentioned how you like how the X10 could just pop in and out easily when you needed to talk to someone or answer the phone. How do the W3's compare for you in that regard?

When i tried them, i had no problem putting them in with Silicone sleeves. Takes a second to take out, takes two seconds to put in. Run earpiece over, rock into Ear. That was all for me. Comply and Foams take longer, you have to first compress it, do the process, and wait till it fills up then you can let go. Not sure about Custom tips though. HPA can help you with that.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #1,534 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very quick one handed insertion/removal with universal tips, but a bit slower and two handed (as you describe) when using custom tips.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #1,535 of 2,117
Hey guys im thinking of pulling the trigger on some w3's on monday. Anyone find the treble fatiguing? With bright speakers i get fatigued easy. I know i can get the um3x as well but im probably gonna buy used and theres not many um3x's on the market. Thanks for the help.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #1,536 of 2,117
I have no problems with fatigue and the W3s, using the tri-flanges modded (stalks cut down a little). In fact, smooth as silk. With any other tips, I hear sibilance. They are just the ones that work for me, and I know the UM56s would sound even better (saving for them). But to me, I have found the universal IEMs I like best of any I have owned (and that is a lot).

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #1,537 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, the Comfort Kings are still the Se530, Um3X, Um2, and Um1. Next level is around the Westone 3 because they are larger than all the mentioned models above. So if comfort is what you are going for, get yourself the Um3x maybe...it does cost less than the westone 3.

So comfort wise Um3x is great? Damn.. then I think I should get these! I can't buy custom earphones, because they dont accept internatonal orders on those!

Will the UM3x be good on the universal earbuds too? And what about the comfort, is it really so much better than the W3's? I dont mind the price difference, I just want to have the max comfort I can get.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #1,538 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So comfort wise Um3x is great? Damn.. then I think I should get these! I can't buy custom earphones, because they dont accept internatonal orders on those!

Will the UM3x be good on the universal earbuds too? And what about the comfort, is it really so much better than the W3's? I dont mind the price difference, I just want to have the max comfort I can get.

You can buy a custom sleeve to put on your UM3X. You can purchase the Westone UM-56.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #1,539 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, the Comfort Kings are still the Se530, Um3X, Um2, and Um1. Next level is around the Westone 3 because they are larger than all the mentioned models above. So if comfort is what you are going for, get yourself the Um3x maybe...it does cost less than the westone 3.

I would like to provide a slightly differing opinion on this.

For me the W3 is the most comfortable. It is the most low profile of those listed and the phone fills my concha completely, just like I imagine a full custom phone would. The tip (shure olive) seals perfectly and doesn't go very far into my canal, which makes them easy to insert.
UM2 and UM3X are virtually as comfortable, but they protrude just a hint more than W3 because of the different angle of the tip. This makes the phone to not rest fully in the concha. The difference is noticeable for example when I lean on pillow or something.
SE530 is the worst of them. While leaps and bounds more comfortable than standard earbuds, they protrude quite a lot from my ears. Because the cable is more stiff than those used by Westone, everytime I move my head the cable tries to unseat the phones from my ears, or so it feels.

My point is that the shape of the ear is a critical aspect when talking about the comfort level of these phones. And I frown upon blanket statements, when they differ from my experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #1,540 of 2,117
Hi again,

I've got the earplugs that come fitted on it. Grey squeezy types. LOL very tech aren't I ? How do i take these off to try others? Also does taking off destroy these tips so that i need another pair if i want to use again?

How do i get UM56's if i take my own ear impressions?

Cheers,

K

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome. My favorite tips, closest to UM56 I think, is the tri-flange with the modded stem, or the tri-flange modded to a bi-flange, with the stem intact. Got that?

Anyway, enjoy. Sounds like you found the right tip already.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #1,541 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ AudioPhile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy a custom sleeve to put on your UM3X. You can purchase the Westone UM-56.

Where and how, I am from The Netherlands you know..

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,542 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saigon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to provide a slightly differing opinion on this.

For me the W3 is the most comfortable. It is the most low profile of those listed and the phone fills my concha completely, just like I imagine a full custom phone would. The tip (shure olive) seals perfectly and doesn't go very far into my canal, which makes them easy to insert.
UM2 and UM3X are virtually as comfortable, but they protrude just a hint more than W3 because of the different angle of the tip. This makes the phone to not rest fully in the concha. The difference is noticeable for example when I lean on pillow or something.
SE530 is the worst of them. While leaps and bounds more comfortable than standard earbuds, they protrude quite a lot from my ears. Because the cable is more stiff than those used by Westone, everytime I move my head the cable tries to unseat the phones from my ears, or so it feels.

My point is that the shape of the ear is a critical aspect when talking about the comfort level of these phones. And I frown upon blanket statements, when they differ from my experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

I already got 5 pairs of Shure olives, so the question remaining is:

Um3x or W3.. I am not going to buy custom made earbuds.
I dont really mind the SQ, both should be great, but I do mind the comfort! Will the Shure Olives seal perfectly on the Um3x as well?
I dont like to have earphones very far in my earcannels!

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #1,543 of 2,117
The selection of the tip is personal. You should use the one that works the best for you, and the only way to figure that out is to try them. The olives work perfectly for me with both W3 and UM3X, but that is only me and there is no way for me to answer what will work for you.

What comes to the actual comfort of these phones for you, again that depends on the shape of your ear. But to provide some perspective from my own experiences, both UM3X and W3 are very very comfortable and neither of them goes deep in your earcanal. If I were to try to rate my comfort level of the phones I'm familiar with on the scale from 1 to 10, it would look something like this:

Earbuds: 1
Etymotic ER-6i: 4
Creative EP-630: 6
SE530: 7
UM3X: 9.5
W3: 10

The differences between W3 and UM3X are so small that you are hard pressed to figure out which one is more comfortable or better choice for you by reading other peoples recommendations.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #1,544 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already got 5 pairs of Shure olives, so the question remaining is:

Um3x or W3.. I am not going to buy custom made earbuds.
I dont really mind the SQ, both should be great, but I do mind the comfort! Will the Shure Olives seal perfectly on the Um3x as well?
I dont like to have earphones very far in my earcannels!

IMO the UM3X would be slightly more comfortable - but this is based on my prior ownership of UM2s vs. W3s now - I've not tried UM3X. Both Westones should work with Shure (E5/530) & Ety (ER4P) tips, and both feature a shallow insert. Beware the olives' vinyl/plastic inner-sleeve in changing tips as it has a high adhesion factor to the sound nozzle(!) I prefer my W3s with Shure greys (L) and have seemed to acclimate enough that I now prefer them 'flat' on almost all my DAPs (still a tick too bassy on the HiMDs). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back