REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #151 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not the same technology. The ES3, if I am right, should be 2-drivers and uses the older technology. Something like Westone 3 Custom will eventually come out, and it will be interesting to read impressions about those.

Alright Anthony. Are you sure about that? According to Westone's website ...

"The ES3 is the world's first true three-way, custom in-ear musicians' monitor."

... which sounds to me like it's a triple driver. I think the ES2 is the 2 driver version, on which the UM2 is based, so I assumed that the Westone 3 is based on the ES3.

I'd love to know if Westone are working on developing their custom IEM range as well - if money was no object I've always thought that I'd go for Westone's customs rather than UEs, even if they don't get the same amount of interest - I love the Westone sound.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #152 of 2,117
After an hour and a half or so of listening, I have to say the W3 are very interesting IEMs and they have a lot of potential.

Physically, the W3 are very small and light and they are incredibly comfortable. I've been playing a bit with the tips and so far the medium Comply tips are those that fit me best. I was accoustumed to the Shure Olive tips with the Etymotic ER4S, but they don't fit the W3 very well because they are not long enough and don't provide a good fit like on the Etys. [EDIT: I finally got a good seal with the Shure olives and they are the best tips I've used to far with the W3]. I tried the triflanges, but for some reason they sucked out some of the mids so I went back to the Complys and I'm very happy with the comfort that I get. I'm a little bit worried about the long term durability of these tips, they seem pretty fragile and I don't feel like buying new tips every month, but we'll see how it goes. The W3 pick up some hiss from the iPod when no music is playing, but it's not a big deal for me. I don't have a portable amp at the moment (well, if you don't consider a bag full of pieces for a Mini3 that I'm too lazy to build
tongue_smile.gif
) so perhaps this can cure the problem.

My first impressions after plugging them straight into my Ipod Touch 2G was that they don't have the "wow factor" that many headphones have. That's not a bad thing, because my favorite headphones ended up being those that didn't impress me at first: Stax Omega 2 and Sennheiser HD600. Like these two fine headphones, the W3 has a balanced sound across the spectrum and no frequency really stands out which is the key for good non-fatiguing listening. To be fair, the highs are slightly rolled off compared to most full-size cans and speakers, but that's been the case with every balanced armature IEM I've tried (Shure E4 and E500, AL iM716, UE Super.fi 5 Pro) except for the Etymotic ER4P/S which on the other hand is slightly too bright and a little bit harsh on top.

I have not listened enough yet to review the sound in detail, but I have to say that I'm very impressed so far with how they handle classical music. I've been disappointed with many headphones and IEMs in the past for listening to symphonies and the W3 seems to do the job very well, giving a "round" sound and not sounding too harsh while providing good dynamics. I'll post more impressions later...

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #153 of 2,117
Fedex just left and they are in my ears. WOW. I have UM'2s and they are great. The 3's are really amazing. I am not good at all the technical stuff, like some of you but I am very very impressed. I have called to get an appointment for the UM56's this week. The med comply tips work best for me.

I am an old stereophile from the 70's and I agree they sound like the sound I think I remember back then, warm and full!

Powderhound I have a question. I went online and filled out the registration form. When I hit send it said done and I am not certain it went though. Any way to verify it?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #155 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone got any ideas whether the technology inside the Westone 3 is the same as the Westone ES3?

If the Westone 3 is amazing, I would imagine the ES3 must also be pretty near the top end of the market, but you very rarely hear about the ES3 on these forums - not compared to the amount you hear about the UE10 or UE11 anyway.

The ES3 and Westone 3 are totally different. The Es3 is built for on stage guitar and vocals, not personal listening.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #156 of 2,117
Quote:

No, it's not the same technology. The ES3, if I am right, should be 2-drivers and uses the older technology. Something like Westone 3 Custom will eventually come out, and it will be interesting to read impressions about those.

The ES3 is a 3-way (high, mid low) driver system. Three separate drivers.

There are no plans for a custom version, but there will be a new custom coming out early next year. Right now that is all I can say.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #157 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm6780 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Powderhound I have a question. I went online and filled out the registration form. When I hit send it said done and I am not certain it went though. Any way to verify it?

Thanks!

PM me your "real name" and I will verify in the database.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #158 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Lisa III which when paired with any IEM produces sibilance and hiss. My question is if a use a volume attenuator (I´d use the one that comes with the Westone 3) with the W3 or the UE11, with the attenuator wheel at max. would the hiss dissapear? or should I use the attenuator vol wheel at lower levels?

Also I have the Ety P to S adpartor. I thought that when used with any IEM other than Etys would reduce and change the sound siganture.

You only rotate the volume knob about 3-5 mm at the low end of attenuation, you do not "crank it up" as you will flatten the sound and decrease dynamics with many IEM if you attenuate too much.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #159 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After an hour and a half or so of listening, I have to say the W3 are very interesting IEMs and they have a lot of potential.

Physically, the W3 are very small and light and they are incredibly comfortable. I've been playing a bit with the tips and so far the medium Comply tips are those that fit me best. I was accoustumed to the Shure Olive tips with the Etymotic ER4S, but they don't fit the W3 very well because they are not long enough and don't provide a good fit like on the Etys. I tried the triflanges, but for some reason they sucked out some of the mids so I went back to the Complys and I'm very happy with the comfort that I get. I'm a little bit worried about the long term durability of these tips, they seem pretty fragile and I don't feel like buying new tips every month, but we'll see how it goes. The W3 pick up some hiss from the iPod when no music is not playing, but it's not a big deal for me. I don't have a portable amp at the moment (well, if you don't consider a bag full of pieces for a Mini3 that I'm too lazy to build
tongue_smile.gif
) so perhaps this can cure the problem.

My first impressions after plugging them straight into my Ipod Touch 2G was that they don't have the "wow factor" that many headphones have. That's not a bad thing, because my favorite headphones ended up being those that didn't impress me at first: Stax Omega 2 and Sennheiser HD600. Like these two fine headphones, the W3 has a balanced sound across the spectrum and no frequency really stands out which is the key for good non-fatiguing listening. To be fair, the highs are slightly rolled off compared to most full-size cans and speakers, but that's been the case with every balanced armature IEM I've tried (Shure E4 and E500, AL iM716, UE Super.fi 5 Pro) except for the Etymotic ER4P/S which on the other hand is slightly too bright and a little bit harsh on top.

I have not listened enough yet to review the sound in detail, but I have to say that I'm very impressed so far with how they handle classical music. I've been disappointed with many headphones and IEMs in the past for listening to symphonies and the W3 seems to do the job very well, giving a "round" sound and not sounding too harsh while providing good dynamics. I'll post more impressions later...

If you cut the triple flange stalks a little shorter then the mids will come back, and the highs will be improved over the Complys tips. I also find the grey silicone tips to sound a little more balanced than the Complys foam tips. Best of all, you could order some Westone UM-56 custom tips and get the most balanced dynamic sound of all, while having a custom fit.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #160 of 2,117
I'm confused about how the pricing for the UM-56 works.. I've been wanting to get one but it seems like it will cost over $200??
Cost to get a mold ($100)
+ cost of the UM-56 ($100)
???

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #161 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tldoxmf87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused about how the pricing for the UM-56 works.. I've been wanting to get one but it seems like it will cost over $200??
???

I went to my local Beltone Hearing Center where I previously got my impressions for Livewires for only $30, and the guy offered to do the UM-56 impressions for free if I ordered the UM-56 from him.

Then, he only charged me $70 instead of his usual $115 because I ordered another set of impressions for $30 for my spare set of Livewires.

So, total cost for a total 3 sets of impressions and UM-56 within a 4 week period was $130.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #162 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tldoxmf87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
???

Shop around. Some places will not charge for the impression process if you buy the UM56 through them as well. Here is a search we have on our website. If you still have problems finding someone, PM me.

Dealer Locator :: Westone

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #163 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shop around. Some places will not charge for the impression process if you buy the UM56 through them as well. Here is a search we have on our website. If you still have problems finding someone, PM me.

Dealer Locator :: Westone

Doug,

Are there any of these places in Italy (Milano area)? I don't see Italy in the list.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #165 of 2,117
Quote:

Doug,

Are there any of these places in Italy (Milano area)? I don't see Italy in the list.

The search only works in areas we are in, directly. Since Variphone handles the EU, they would have that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back