[Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED]
Apr 17, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #16 of 161
  Great review, this thing has been on my list for a while. On the fence with having this as my so called "end game".
Could you perhaps talk about the difference between the solid state power supply and the tubed power supply? Is there a huge difference or is it more subtle?

Thanks canonlp!

Ah, unfortunately I wasn't able to test the solid-state power-supply.  When you order the WA7+WA7tp as a combo, you don't get the SS power supply as well. It would have been interesting to compare them.  There have been a few reviews/comparisons and all of them came out in favour of the tube supply unit, if I remember correctly.  

Since you mentioned the word "end-game", if you do go for the WA7 then I would recommend the WA7tp.  Not only because of the sound improvement but because of the the possibility of fine tuning the sound to better suit your headphones and your taste.  The WA7 feels more like "my own" since I've tweaked it to reflect my personal preferences.  Even if you do not want to experiment, then just pop in some Jan 5814as or Mullards and be done with it. 

If I had a bigger place and a dedicated listening room then that may have swung me more in the direction of the WA6-SE as "end-game", since it offers even more options for tube-rolling and slightly more scope to grow with me as my headphones/tastes change.  The top tubes are not cheap though.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #17 of 161
  Great review! I have EH Golds and Syl Jans in mine, and just loving it. I also have recently been "borrowing" a mates LCD3 to use with them. It is bliss!

Thanks!  Can't go wrong with the  JANs and I'm pleased to hear the LCD-3s pair nicely with the set-up!  I'd be interested in hearing that set-up one day.  

Quote:
  I have a question about the WA7, the RCA input jacks, are the red and white input jacks loose, do they have play or are they fixed and rock solid? I heard that the jacks have play? The other thing I don't like is the cheap looking plastic three position switch for the RCA/USB/DA circuits. Call me a nit picker but that mofo is a $1000+ bucks, I like Woo products but I don't want to get my rug peed on if you know what I mean  

Hi Stereocilia.  

I always focus on the details too!  I somehow managed to put a very small ding in the underside of one of the glass blocks  and even though I probably wouldn't have noticed after a while... I had to get a replacement - the WA7 demands perfection!

I understand If you are a stickler for rear design and the more industrial sockets/switches.  But just FYI I will say that I probably flicked the input/output switch 100 times during the course of my experiments and its just as solid and reliable as it ever was.

I also noticed that all of my  equipment, including the Rega DAC and an integrated amp all share that same style of RCA socket as the WA7 which have a gap around them rather than being screwed against the chassis as per your picture.  This inevitably means you *can* wiggle them if you really want to.  Since Woo are  known for their tank-like build, I would guess it is more a design choice than them cutting corners. 

Hopefully this won't mean that you need to get your rug peed on.  It's a nice rug.  Really ties the room together!

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #18 of 161
This is a quote from Jack at Woo Audio "the WA7tp should provide enhanced stereo separation, smoother treble, more air, more effortless sound” I have never owned the ss psu I purchased mine with the wa7tp for the sole purpose of tube rolling which I find makes a world of difference in SQ. And is certainly the best single upgrade one can have with the wa7.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #19 of 161
Thanks for showing the Hp-p1 some love. I don't think it gets the attention it deserves with so many new items being released these days. Off topic but do you have a favorite reference headphone to use with the Fostex?

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #20 of 161
  Thanks for showing the Hp-p1 some love. I don't think it gets the attention it deserves with so many new items being released these days. Off topic but do you have a favorite reference headphone to use with the Fostex?

It's really a wonderful little DAC isn't it.  Only criticism is the battery life which hasn't been great and seems to be deteriorating further.  I've mostly been using the B&W P7s with the HP-P1.  As I mentioned in the review, i've never totally warmed to them on the Fostex or on the Asgard II.  It wasn't until I had the WA7/Mullards or JANs in there that I felt like they had some guts. 

Until the WA7 arrived I tested the LCD-2s on the Fostex and they were fine.  I was never past 12 O'Clock on the volume pot!  WA7 took them to another level though. 

I'm thinking of swapping the P7s for Beyer DT1350s at some point.  Meant to be great with the HP-P1 and I'm sure the WA7 will make them even better.

What are you using?

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #21 of 161
I have the DT1350. It's probably the most popular pairing, but I can't say I'm a fan. The sound lacks detail and sound stage. I tend to like the Base to be just north of flat and here too I found the Dt's lacking. I don't like to use EQ but with the Dts I find it needs a little boast. Plus it can be very uncomfortable for long listening (1+ hours). I've also tried the HD 650, HifiMan 400i,  for what it's worth, and found both to be very comfortable and much better detail. Next week I'll try the Oppo line and new Audeze offerings with the Hp.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #23 of 161
ah okay, thanks Malcuso - that's great info- I definitely need to demo the 1350s first then as my bass preferences sound similar to yours.  I'll look forward to hearing about how the new Audeze's do with the HP-P1 as well as with the WA7 when those reviews start coming in too!

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 161
@Stereocilia thank you for your feedback.  

WA7 have been in production since 2012 and we have not had a single quality concern with the RCA connectors.  In order to use the Cardas RCA connectors, the chassis will have to increase slightly in size.  We recommend to use high quality RCA cables for the best connection and improved sound quality when using external sources.

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 161
The WA7 is aesthetically pleasing and compact, In my mind WOO hit the ball out the park a grand slam, I would buy it with a few concessions, lose the DAC and upgrade the jacks, offer me a clean purist design with flawless and high end looking parts 360. The last thing would be to go with a single 1/4" headphone jack and supply a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter instead.  

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #26 of 161
  The WA7 is aesthetically pleasing and compact, In my mind WOO hit the ball out the park a grand slam, I would buy it with a few concessions, lose the DAC and upgrade the jacks, offer me a clean purist design with flawless and high end looking parts 360. The last thing would be to go with a single 1/4" headphone jack and supply a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter instead.  

I agree that the WA7 is a gorgeous amplifier (one of the best looking ones on the market). Kinda funny how aesthetics helps nudge your purchasing decisions. I think without the glass top, I probably wouldn't have given this amplifier a second look. I do think either dropping the dac at a lower price point or upgrading the dac at the current price point would be nice. Don't mind the jacks. Don't mind how the back looks. And I do think the 3.5mm headphone jack out is a nice touch as it supplies less power for IEMs and things along those lines.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #27 of 161
Epilogue:

After some questions about choosing between the Ciftes and the Mullard CV4003s.  I went back and did some more head-to-head listening comparisons between those two - which were probably the front-runners.   

Firstly, as I mentioned  if you are using the WA7 DAC - then the Mullards would be the ones to go for, they are the perfect way to balance the sound.  They add fun, rhythm, and extra warmth and liquidness throughout.  If you are going for an expensive tube first, for me Mullards are the way to go. 

Secondly even though it was second-best, the top-end of the Mullards is in no way sloppy.  It's damn fine in its own right, and rather than being played up or given over-emphasis it sounds completely natural. 

The Ciftes do have an extra bit of delicacy and sweetness in the high-end and the bass takes a step backwards allowing the rhythm of the music to be led by strings and vocals instead of coming from deeper down.  Instruments dance across the soundstage.  Like being in a fairy-tale. Or Something. They will always have a special place in my heart and tube drawer. But after further listening, some of the fun-factor is missing.  Some of the soul of the music is gone.  I don't tap my feet so much with these, and as I suspected - for use with the WA7 DAC, I still want a bit more meat on the bones.  

Funny how the tube that "wowed" me the most at first ended up feeling a little one-dimensional, while the tube that sounded most boring to start with ended up having the most heart & soul.

Both great tubes. The Cifte's are more complex and would require a bit more careful DAC/Headphone matching.  I'm sticking with the Mullards for now.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #28 of 161
  ah okay, thanks Malcuso - that's great info- I definitely need to demo the 1350s first then as my bass preferences sound similar to yours.  I'll look forward to hearing about how the new Audeze's do with the HP-P1 as well as with the WA7 when those reviews start coming in too!

I also have the DT1350 and HP-P1. I like the low end, however Malcuso's experience is similar to mine. If you have an opportunity, experience the T5p with the HP-P1 and WA7.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #29 of 161
  Epilogue:

After some questions about choosing between the Ciftes and the Mullard CV4003s.  I went back and did some more head-to-head listening comparisons between those two - which were probably the front-runners.   

Firstly, as I mentioned  if you are using the WA7 DAC - then the Mullards would be the ones to go for, they are the perfect way to balance the sound.  They add fun, rhythm, and extra warmth and liquidness throughout.  If you are going for an expensive tube first, for me Mullards are the way to go. 

Secondly even though it was second-best, the top-end of the Mullards is in no way sloppy.  It's damn fine in its own right, and rather than being played up or given over-emphasis it sounds completely natural. 

The Ciftes do have an extra bit of delicacy and sweetness in the high-end and the bass takes a step backwards allowing the rhythm of the music to be led by strings and vocals instead of coming from deeper down.  Instruments dance across the soundstage.  Like being in a fairy-tale. Or Something. They will always have a special place in my heart and tube drawer. But after further listening, some of the fun-factor is missing.  Some of the soul of the music is gone.  I don't tap my feet so much with these, and as I suspected - for use with the WA7 DAC, I still want a bit more meat on the bones.  

Funny how the tube that "wowed" me the most at first ended up feeling a little one-dimensional, while the tube that sounded most boring to start with ended up having the most heart & soul.

Both great tubes. The Cifte's are more complex and would require a bit more careful DAC/Headphone matching.  I'm sticking with the Mullards for now.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the Cifte 12au7's I almost got a pair from upscale but loved the sound of the mullards so much I just got another matched pair, your impressions of this tube with the wa7 are spot on they really are the finest I've heard.. 

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #30 of 161

I also have the DT1350 and HP-P1. I like the low end, however Malcuso's experience is similar to mine. If you have an opportunity, experience the T5p with the HP-P1 and WA7.

Thanks AJHeadfi! I'm definitely leaning away from the 1350s since I'm looking for something with greater fun factor.  I'll add the T5ps to the list - since if they work well with the Fostex AND the WA7 that would be a great bonus! 

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the Cifte 12au7's I almost got a pair from upscale but loved the sound of the mullards so much I just got another matched pair, your impressions of this tube with the wa7 are spot on they really are the finest I've heard.. 

Cheers abvolt!  Yes the Ciftes! - I was really torn on them vs the Mullards for a while but I guess I'm firmly in the Mullard camp now.  If the Ciftes had slightly more juice in the mids/low they would be near perfect for me because I do enjoy that sweet sparkle.  I would still say give them a go if you have a lush and liquid sounding DAC and or headphone - but in truth they were slightly on the lean side, even for the LCD2-Fs, at least for my tastes.   I think if you get a tube that excels so well in treble sparkle and detail there may always be a bit of a sacrifice in the overall smoothness and punch.  I guess that's when it would be an advantage to have more options rolling the amp's tubes to get the recipe just right.  

One interesting tube to try would be  a different brand of CV4003 like those from Brimar -   again, military spec and made in England but you can get them for $60 a matched pair or lower.  I've seen a few people state a preference for them over the Mullard in different amp applications.

Jeb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back