REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection
Nov 13, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #572 of 683
Taken from the KZ thread:

Quote:
  Ended up purchasing the ZST and XE800 on 11.11! Curious to see how the ZST compares to the ZS1, and how the $18AUD "100% Original Authentic" XE800 compares to my 2 year old XE800 xD
EDIT: wrong thread. ATR also on the way from Gearbest!

Quote:
  I would like to know that too, how it compares to the old/expensive ones...btw I got the movable nozzle one too and it was crap. http://www.head-fi.org/t/726119/review-vivo-xplay-3s-xe800-mobile-audio-perfection/540#post_12946814

It sucks to see how the seller handled your order... I actually read your post on reddit shortly before 11.11 so I purchased from a different store, but I'll still see how my $18AUD XE800 compares with my original pair ($50USD from Taobao).

Yesterday, I had a bit of fun with the Vibro Veritas and made a few measurements. The chart below contains the XE800, GR07BE, VSD3 and AN16. Try and guess which one is which, it's quite easy :p

EDIT: I should've changed one of the colours to light blue or something; the one with the weird 1khz response is the one without the 6-7khz peak. The yellow and grey lines can be a little hard to tell apart, sorry about that! 

Red: VSonic GR07 Bass Edition

Yellow: VSonic AN16 (it's the one with the weird 1khz response, without the 6-7khz peak)

Grey: Vivo XE800 (less bass with a small 2khz bump, making it a bit more shouty/sibilant)

Green: Vsonic VSD3 (less mids, giving it a bassy signature)

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #574 of 683
Dec 13, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #575 of 683
now i got two pairs from Beteran, also very good, and the fastest shipped and delivered by a wide margin (they used DHL Global Mail, i paid for Singapore Post):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-Authentic-Vivo-XE800-In-Ear-HiFi-Sound-Stereo-In-Ear-Earphones-Earbuds-with-Mic/32716543235.html
less than $15, the best option IMO.

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #576 of 683
"PenonAudio" is selling the XE800 for $24.90 on eBay. I have no way of verifying that this is the real PenonAudio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVO-XE800-High-Fidelity-Audiophile-Dynamic-Driver-Inner-Ear-Earphone-With-Mic/272390940429

These are $99 at their store.

http://penonaudio.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=xe800

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #577 of 683
  "PenonAudio" is selling the XE800 for $24.90 on eBay. I have no way of verifying that this is the real PenonAudio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVO-XE800-High-Fidelity-Audiophile-Dynamic-Driver-Inner-Ear-Earphone-With-Mic/272390940429

These are $99 at their store.

http://penonaudio.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=xe800

Their official site does link to that eBay store (near the bottom right), so it should be the real PenonAudio store. The $99 price tag is fairly outdated, and you can find a legitimate "non-retail" XE800 for as low as $15USD. I'm not exactly sure when the price drop occurred, but the $25 eBay listing is normal, maybe even a bit overpriced.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #578 of 683
If these are actually legit xe800s, this is the best deal i've ever come across concerning iems. Since i happen to own an original pair of these, i've ordered a couple of those newer ones to compare. Shipping should take a while but i will post impressions when they reach me. Too bad my second gr07ce (third gr07 overall) has recently stopped working.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #579 of 683
I am inclined to think the cheap ones off Aliexpress are real, I have 2 samples from 2 different sellers, and they are on par in terms of excellent channel matching, low distortion, and generally similar neutral but bass light sound signature. The tuning makes them feel rather reserved, and I can see how many are not immediately wowed by them. Personally I would ramp the xe800s up a bit under 100hz for a more balanced sound.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #580 of 683
Well they got me fooled for a while but then I went back to my Fidelio S2 and, boy, ain't those XE800 muddy sounding after all? Disregarding sound signature difference, all those XE800 have against the S2 is they need less juice and have lower cable microphonics. If they are genuine and in the same ball park as the GR07 I am glad I choose to buy the S2 over the GR07 a while back.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #581 of 683
Would you consider modding and measuring a pair?

I took a sewing needle, held it with a pair of pliers for grip, and firmly driven the tip through the back shell (poked at the dot over letter "i" so it doesn't look out of place)
From experience back porting tends to add bass, and I think it may have improved sub-bass a little, if not placebo. Be careful not to puncture too far though, you might end up damaging the driver assembly.

Quote:

It sucks to see how the seller handled your order... I actually read your post on reddit shortly before 11.11 so I purchased from a different store, but I'll still see how my $18AUD XE800 compares with my original pair ($50USD from Taobao).

Yesterday, I had a bit of fun with the Vibro Veritas and made a few measurements. The chart below contains the XE800, GR07BE, VSD3 and AN16. Try and guess which one is which, it's quite easy :p

EDIT: I should've changed one of the colours to light blue or something; the one with the weird 1khz response is the one without the 6-7khz peak. The yellow and grey lines can be a little hard to tell apart, sorry about that! 

Red: VSonic GR07 Bass Edition

Yellow: VSonic AN16 (it's the one with the weird 1khz response, without the 6-7khz peak)

Grey: Vivo XE800 (less bass with a small 2khz bump, making it a bit more shouty/sibilant)

Green: Vsonic VSD3 (less mids, giving it a bassy signature)

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #582 of 683
  If these are actually legit xe800s, this is the best deal i've ever come across concerning iems. Since i happen to own an original pair of these, i've ordered a couple of those newer ones to compare. Shipping should take a while but i will post impressions when they reach me. Too bad my second gr07ce (third gr07 overall) has recently stopped working.

i just got a replacement pair of xe800 from beteran on ali express for $14--they were real.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #584 of 683
I am inclined to think the cheap ones off Aliexpress are real, I have 2 samples from 2 different sellers, and they are on par in terms of excellent channel matching, low distortion, and generally similar neutral but bass light sound signature. The tuning makes them feel rather reserved, and I can see how many are not immediately wowed by them. Personally I would ramp the xe800s up a bit under 100hz for a more balanced sound.

If these batches are indeed original pairs, then Vivo has re-tuned their sound by making the back vents smaller. My own pair which was part of the first ever batch of XE800s had more bass (especially midbass) than a GR07 mk2 or CE. The only way i could make it sound like @ayao 's graphs was to block the back vents with something.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #585 of 683

If these batches are indeed original pairs, then Vivo has re-tuned their sound by making the back vents smaller. My own pair which was part of the first ever batch of XE800s had more bass (especially midbass) than a GR07 mk2 or CE. The only way i could make it sound like @ayao 's graphs was to block the back vents with something.

which port(s) are you referring to when you mentioned the "back vents"? I can only locate two vents at the front facing the concha, and no other vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back