Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Nov 9, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #797 of 828
Honestly, don't bother with USB.

For the price of an USB module you can get an excellent Raspberry Pi3 Transport and listen via coax. Allo DigiOne or even the newer but more expensive Allo DigiOne Signature. Run piCore Player of it or Volumio. Both support various streaming services as well.

No USB will come near it.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #798 of 828
Ah okay, I've read on these forums about Hiface usb>coax adapters and the like, it's all new to me, but maybe that's the way to go.

So all things being equal would you say the RS06 sound is superior to the V800? The clearance V800 is €700 on eBay right now and I think I might bite...

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #799 of 828
If you really wanna go down that line then get the Singxer SU-1 and AES out to the AES in of either the RS06 or the V800, whatever you decide to choose. That's a competent device and among the very best.

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #800 of 828
Thanks for the tip, though that seems quite an expensive solution to a problem I'm not convinced (yet) exists. I know it's an old debate but have you A/B'd those different line outs before? Would be interesting to hear thoughts, I'm not technical like most here I just want great quality out the box.

I just pulled the trigger on the RS-06 and was going to compare USB with HiFace 2 SPDIF out of a MacBook.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #803 of 828
How does the V800 compare to the Benchmark DAC3? Other have stated that V800 is superior to the Benchmark DAC1 but how about the DAC3? Anyone heard both and can comment, much appreciated!

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #804 of 828
i have the V800, just got the usb 24/192 xmos board. this needs win10 drivers yeah?

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #805 of 828
I think you need. For some reasons it does not work for my win10 PC.
I switched to Roon OS (ROCK) 6 months ago and It does not need any driver since this is Linux based.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #806 of 828
got the driver, thanks... pretty straight forward with the XMOS chipset, not so apparently for the TENOR

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #807 of 828
Hi,

I'm an owner of the original V800 DAC. It's not upgraded or anything.

I'm sorry for my being a little ignorant, but I haven't had the chance to catch up with this thread throughout the past few years, and according to some random pages I've read here, I've realized there's a physical hardware upgrade (which presumably gives you the advantages of the V850) and also a driver upgrade.

Unfortunately I really don't have the time to go through the pages here (I wish I had, though). Would someone please sum it up for me, so that I know what I'm currently missing ?

Edit: I was referred by one of the pages here, to this website: https://drop.com/buy/violectric-audio-dac-v800/talk/352212

I think I get the whole story now. What I don't understand though, is if there's a way of upgrading my TE7022 to a TE8802 chip. I guess it shouldn't cost as much as a whole new board with the XMOS chip does, right ?

By the way, does anyone hear some distortion on the unbalanced output, when playing through both the balanced & unbalanced outputs ? When I only use the unbalanced one, it runs all fine, but the moment I connect something to the balanced output, the unbalanced single gets a little distorted. I wonder if anyone has had this issue like me. I've had this problem since purchase, contacted Fried who was very kind and offered me to ship it back, which I chose not to do, back then.

Thanks,
Roy

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #808 of 828
By the way, does anyone hear some distortion on the unbalanced output, when playing through both the balanced & unbalanced outputs ? When I only use the unbalanced one, it runs all fine, but the moment I connect something to the balanced output, the unbalanced single gets a little distorted. I wonder if anyone has had this issue like me. I've had this problem since purchase, contacted Fried who was very kind and offered me to ship it back, which I chose not to do, back then.

Just here to report I've managed to figure out what the problem was and to fix it quickly. I've come across Rane's Note 110 which decently explains some background about such issues, suggesting to add a "ground lift" to the connection. In other words, what I did was to disconnect the ground on the input plug (that's connected to my amp). This immediately solved the problem. (I later noticed my amplifier has a ground lift switch - no idea whether this should have worked as well and save the de-soldering time though.)

Anyway, I hope this would help anyone else encountering this problem like me.

Roy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back