Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Jul 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #137 of 828
That's a nice looking stack there. Maybe one day I'll have enough to complete the combo of the V200/V800 as the amp and dac.

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #138 of 828
Thanks for this review.  Lots of really good information.  I wish more reviews had as much info as this.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #139 of 828
Got my V800 a couple of hours ago. I don't change dac very often so I've been using a Hegel HD10 for a couple of years now. The difference in sound came as a bit of a shock as they sound quite a bit different. The V800 comes across as much more precise in how it renders instruments and voices as they are more clearly defined and distinct from each other. Given that I've only had the V800 for a very short time I'm hardly qualified to make any real judgements about its quality yet, but first impressions are very positive. It's almost impossible to imagine how something will *actually* sound like from descriptions so I wasn't sure what to expect compared to the difference an amp does for example so the drastic difference is very pleasing.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #140 of 828
Quote:
Thanks for this review.  Lots of really good information.  I wish more reviews had as much info as this.

Thanks! I try to make these posts/reviews as useful as possible. 

Quote:
Got my V800 a couple of hours ago. I don't change dac very often so I've been using a Hegel HD10 for a couple of years now. The difference in sound came as a bit of a shock as they sound quite a bit different. The V800 comes across as much more precise in how it renders instruments and voices as they are more clearly defined and distinct from each other. Given that I've only had the V800 for a very short time I'm hardly qualified to make any real judgements about its quality yet, but first impressions are very positive. It's almost impossible to imagine how something will *actually* sound like from descriptions so I wasn't sure what to expect compared to the difference an amp does for example so the drastic difference is very pleasing.

Sounds good. I think you are approaching it from the proper perspective - some people expect DAC differences to be as big (or bigger!) than the differences between headphones or speakers. That isn't necessarily a realistic expectation. But it sounds like in your case the difference was fairly dramatic and appreciable, in a good way of course.

Keep us updated for sure. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #141 of 828
One reason I bought the V800 was the volume control. The Nad C 375 BEE amp I'm using with my speakers has an atrocious volume control that scratches loudly and has mad channel imbalance. The amp seems to be a bit too powerful for the default gain on the V800 since going over 50% is very loud. But first impressions of it as a pre-amp are positive anyway. No scratchy noises, no imbalance and the sound quality seems better as well. I'm sure if I lower the gain of the V800 I'll get better results as I'll stay in the upper half of the knob.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #142 of 828
Quote:

Congratulations on the purchase, in concert with the V200, the pairing is outrageously good!

I have found using balanced cables is best between two. Also lifting the grounds on the connectors plus setting the gain to the highest internally in the V800, for me, reaps the best sonic rewards. Enjoy the pairing
L3000.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #143 of 828
I opened the V800 and put the XLR connections in Lift position. I had already done that on the V200 so now they're both in Lift. The gain switches were all in the bottom position. The manual said they were supposed to be in the upper setting to be in the default 15+dB mode. I changed them to the +24dB setting and there is significantly less gain now than when they were all in the down position. I bought the V800 refurbished from Thomann.de and the switch position is the first hint I've seen of anyone using the device. I assume the manual is correct and not mirrored by mistake?

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #144 of 828
Quote:
I opened the V800 and put the XLR connections in Lift position. I had already done that on the V200 so now they're both in Lift. The gain switches were all in the bottom position. The manual said they were supposed to be in the upper setting to be in the default 15+dB mode. I changed them to the +24dB setting and there is significantly less gain now than when they were all in the down position. I bought the V800 refurbished from Thomann.de and the switch position is the first hint I've seen of anyone using the device. I assume the manual is correct and not mirrored by mistake?

I think you may have it the wrong way round.......

If you look at the manual, the black is where the switches are, so to have +24, all switches at the bottom with the right one clicked up. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #145 of 828
Quote:

I think you may have it the wrong way round.......

If you look at the manual, the black is where the switches are, so to have +24, all switches at the bottom with the right one clicked up. 

Ah ok. I assumed the white in the manual was the switches since the switches themselves are white.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #146 of 828
Quote:
Ah ok. I assumed the white in the manual was the switches since the switches themselves are white.

Nah, once you reset it, I think you will find it even more punchy sounding with a good improvement in the bass and detailing especially going balanced to the V200.

I have the V200 with either -12 or -6 clicked up on the gain switches, and was highly recommended to listen at between 12 - 3pm, the sweet spot, on the volume pot. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #147 of 828
I switched back to +15. Might test +24 later and lowering the gain on the V200. Since I have the SPL Auditor, HD 800 and T1 headphones in addition to the LCD-2 I'm using now there's quite a lot of combinations to play around with to see how the sound has changed with the V800.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #148 of 828
Gotta love all the adjustment options. they make it that much more fun to mess with your system and find what works.

I am currently using an Izmo M1:

To convert USB to SPDIF. It's an async design using the XMOS chipset, and it does in fact seem superior to the built-in USB on the V800. Unlike spkrs1, I think the V800 USB is great on its own, but this thing does help turn it up a notch. 

Also, if anyone is interested: I have a review up of the new Lake People amps over at InnerFidelity. If you are interested in Violectric on a budget, the Lake People line is sure to please. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #150 of 828
Quote:
Also, if anyone is interested: I have a review up of the new Lake People amps over at InnerFidelity. If you are interested in Violectric on a budget, the Lake People line is sure to please. 

Very nice review. As a G100 owner I have to agree with your writings. I bought a used Burson HA-160, but sold it a couple of weeks later to buy a new G100. I prefer the G100 by far as I find it much more engaging. The HA-160 had a nice enclosure though 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back