REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Feb 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #916 of 1,290
Quote:

I've heard about the new UM custom coming out and so far there hasn't really been any news on what kind of sound signature it would have.  3 Dynamic drivers does seem pretty interesting though so I'm curious what it'll be like. 

O/T, but can you tell me where you heard of this? Thanks

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #919 of 1,290
Yea there is now a $500 difference between the two so I would hope he'd like them better =) It isn't necessarily the cost that determines the enjoyment but for over $1000, you better be enjoying the hell out of them haha.

I've heard about the new UM custom coming out and so far there hasn't really been any news on what kind of sound signature it would have.  3 Dynamic drivers does seem pretty interesting though so I'm curious what it'll be like. 

It's all preference but In my opinion, I wouldn't use an amp with the note 2.  Then again, I was never a guy to carry around an absurd stack of dac + amp + mp3 player + ugly looking rubber band around everything.  I think you get decent enough sound out of the note 2 to avoid all that stuff.  However this is head-fi and not everyone would want to stop at, "decent" lol.  And I agree on that ie8 cable, that thing is so epic that you could probably use it to save your life.

I'm not big on having to use an amp/dac combo either. I find it rather annoying and bulky, and the difference in quality doesn't warrant it. Not to mention the issue of having to lug it around seeing as I'm using my mobile phone. Had the iBasso D10 and quickly found how little I used it.

I'll wait to see if any news comes out on the new UM phones. As it stands though, will I be alright with the Merlin given I eq the bass on my IE8s down and treble up? The one thing I worry about is its ability with acoustic or live music.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #920 of 1,290
Quote:

I've owned an ie8 for years and eventually upgraded to the Merlin.  In my opinion from owning both, the Merlins feel like the perfect upgrade from the ie8.  You get a really nice robust low end without the huge midbass that the ie8's have (which was my biggest gripe with the ie8, too much midbass which made it sound muddy).  They have surprisingly good mids which don't really don't get overpowered by the bass, and there is enough shimmer in the highs to let you enjoy the detail.  You also get the huge sound stage which is probably one of the largest, if not the largest, sound stage for a ciem out there.  To give an example, I own a Miracle and the Merlin has a noticeably wider sound stage than it.

I've also talked to other people that upgraded from an ie8 to a Merlin and we all pretty much agreed that it's an ie8 on steroids.  Honestly if you like really like your ie8's, you're going to love the Merlins.

Thanks Poetik!

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #921 of 1,290
Quote:
I'm not big on having to use an amp/dac combo either. I find it rather annoying and bulky, and the difference in quality doesn't warrant it. Not to mention the issue of having to lug it around seeing as I'm using my mobile phone. Had the iBasso D10 and quickly found how little I used it.

I'll wait to see if any news comes out on the new UM phones. As it stands though, will I be alright with the Merlin given I eq the bass on my IE8s down and treble up? The one thing I worry about is its ability with acoustic or live music.

I like the Merlin better than the Miracle for live music.  I don't think you'll have a problem with that.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #922 of 1,290
I like the Merlin better than the Miracle for live music.  I don't think you'll have a problem with that.

Thanks mate. I reserve all my rights to sue you if I don't like em though. I

Just kidding :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #923 of 1,290
I suppose, it will be fun sounding ciem, not like miracle like precise. Biggest problem of multiple drivers is coherence of music. Even my miracles do not sound homogeneous as i would want it. Instruments come from from "here" and "there", but do not build coherent picture of music. Do not get me wrong, it is far from being "mess", but i notice it in complex music. But amount of information from every music is very impressive, which single drivers can not "pick up".   
Quote:
http://www.custom-iem.com/um-triple-dynamic-ciem-coming-soon-p-671.html

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #927 of 1,290
hello everyone....
I am a vocalist and percussionist..i own the IE8 for live gigs use....I have heard also my friend's SE535...I found my IE8 lower in volume,but much better in the low end,,,but the bass seems a little moody...not so much detail in the middle and high frequencies..but thankfully they are not so harsh as the 535.The 535 were louder,and  have nice detail,but not so much bass.-not mojo here...
So do you think Merlin is my next IEM?I really love bass,accurate and huge base if possible,and i don't want to loose all the middle and high frequencies of vocals,acoustic guitars....
Maybe i want something impossible,but do you think that Merlin could satisfy me?Are they loud enough as well?I saw somewhere in the forum, that they are even lower in volume than IE8,and that they are hard to drive .This disappointed me....
Thank you...

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #929 of 1,290
Would you guys who have the Merlin describe it as being energetic and fun? I'm really liking what I'm hearing about the overall sound of these phones but am wondering if the presentation has enough punch for me (the alternative being something like the JH16, which I worry will sound less natural by comparison.)

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #930 of 1,290
Quote:
Would you guys who have the Merlin describe it as being energetic and fun? I'm really liking what I'm hearing about the overall sound of these phones but am wondering if the presentation has enough punch for me (the alternative being something like the JH16, which I worry will sound less natural by comparison.)

What are you looking for as far as "punch"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back