REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Dec 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #886 of 1,290
Quote:
I'm finally going to demo the Merlin in early January, i'm going to compare it to the 1964 Q I heard recently and see who wins me over for my basshead custom. Anyone here heard both?

I'm also wondering if the Merlin is the go to basshead Custom I've been looking for? Are there any better alternatives for deep rumbling sub-bass when it comes to CIEM's out there? I listen almost exclusively to electronic music and I'm all about the fun :)

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #887 of 1,290
Quote:
I'm also wondering if the Merlin is the go to basshead Custom I've been looking for? Are there any better alternatives for deep rumbling sub-bass when it comes to CIEM's out there? I listen almost exclusively to electronic music and I'm all about the fun :)

I'm sure there are a few options for bass head ciems but the Merlin is definitely one of the top choices, if not THE choice for it.  Rumbling sub bass without going too overboard with midbass, good mids, a nice hint of top end treble sparkle, and one of the widest soundstages for a ciem.  Combine all that together and you definitely have a solid choice. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #888 of 1,290
Quote:

have a look at the Futer Sonic Mg6 pro they are said to be the best basshead Ciems

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #889 of 1,290
Has anyone joined the NA group buy for Unique Melody?

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #890 of 1,290
Quote:

I'd say that it might be worth considering the Cosmic Ears HY3-XB, but I think it's going to remain 'out of stock' over the festive season.
Cosmic are re-vamping their product line for 2013, but they'll still have several 'hybrid' models to choose from next year I'm sure.
My 'reduced bass' HY3 (nonXB) was pretty bassy to my ears, and I consider myself a borderline basshead ( WIDE tastes, definitely including EDM/dubstep etc ), so the XB should meet the 'fun' requirement ( affordable too, for a custom! )

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #892 of 1,290
Has anyone joined the NA group buy for Unique Melody?

I have :)

I voiced reservations to UM and was reassured wait times are down to 4-6 weeks after impressions are received and that quality control issues plaguing them have also been addressed...

I have the 1+2r2 currently and am very impressed with them so a CIEM hybrid seemed like a good idea....my wallet disagrees however

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #893 of 1,290
the GB needs more takers for it to happen....

Merlin for $680 anyone...?

etysmile.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #894 of 1,290
Quote:

I listen to mostly electronic music too, and since picking up the Merlins (September 2011) I have stopped looking to buy other IEMs. They're absolutely perfect for my tastes.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #895 of 1,290
Quote:
I'm finally going to demo the Merlin in early January, i'm going to compare it to the 1964 Q I heard recently and see who wins me over for my basshead custom. Anyone here heard both?

You may want to take a look at the cosmic ears hy3xb version.  Details over in the cosmic ears thread.

Cheers

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #896 of 1,290
I'm not sure if this has been answered (it's a bit daunting to go through all the pages of the different threads), but I'm new to the world of CIEMs. My Sennheiser IE8's recently died on me (not sure what on earth happened since I babied them), but I've grown to love the sound signature of them. I want to make the jump to a CIEM, however, I'm unsure of which one to go for. I'm not all that good at reading FR charts(yet) and so I'm reaching out to get some input. I enjoy my low end, but I love being immersed in it all. I want my highs and mids to show just as much as my bass. I guess overall a similar signature to the IE8s with a cleaner sound(the mids always seemed to disappear on some songs) I'm pretty eclectic in my music tastes so I want a headphone that works well with different genres. I'm leaning towards the Merlin and the 1964 Quads, but I'm open for suggestions.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #897 of 1,290
Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been answered (it's a bit daunting to go through all the pages of the different threads), but I'm new to the world of CIEMs. My Sennheiser IE8's recently died on me (not sure what on earth happened since I babied them), but I've grown to love the sound signature of them. I want to make the jump to a CIEM, however, I'm unsure of which one to go for. I'm not all that good at reading FR charts(yet) and so I'm reaching out to get some input. I enjoy my low end, but I love being immersed in it all. I want my highs and mids to show just as much as my bass. I guess overall a similar signature to the IE8s with a cleaner sound(the mids always seemed to disappear on some songs) I'm pretty eclectic in my music tastes so I want a headphone that works well with different genres. I'm leaning towards the Merlin and the 1964 Quads, but I'm open for suggestions.

I can't comment on the Merlins because I haven't tested them and am trying to figure out the same thing as you. I went down to the local Jaben store in my country and tested the Earsonics and I can definitely rule them out for you (I am using IE8s myself). Sig wise, the JH 10X3s worked a treat for me. Then I tested FitEars 333s, and they blew me away (might be slightly fatiguing though over time). Not the same sound sig (less bass and more sparkle), but definitely immersely and banging sound. Only probably, price. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #898 of 1,290
Quote:

I've owned an ie8 for years and eventually upgraded to the Merlin.  In my opinion from owning both, the Merlins feel like the perfect upgrade from the ie8.  You get a really nice robust low end without the huge midbass that the ie8's have (which was my biggest gripe with the ie8, too much midbass which made it sound muddy).  They have surprisingly good mids which don't really don't get overpowered by the bass, and there is enough shimmer in the highs to let you enjoy the detail.  You also get the huge sound stage which is probably one of the largest, if not the largest, sound stage for a ciem out there.  To give an example, I own a Miracle and the Merlin has a noticeably wider sound stage than it.

I've also talked to other people that upgraded from an ie8 to a Merlin and we all pretty much agreed that it's an ie8 on steroids.  Honestly if you like really like your ie8's, you're going to love the Merlins.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #899 of 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own a Miracle and the Merlin has a noticeably wider sound stage than it.

Care to offer any other comparisons between the Miracle vs. the Merlin..?

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #900 of 1,290
Both different mate......Merlin is fun Miracle is more monitor like. Depends what you like.....

Well ....its like the mullet Hair doo........Business at the front (Miracle) Party at the back (Merlin)...I also have both and can't be happier.
Both have their place.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back