REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Dec 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #871 of 1,290
Quote:
Received my Unique Melody Merlin 7 days ago, and they already showed some problems. The Recessed Socket Type had its metal pins deeper inside and the monitor  right side stoped working. The other problem is that the cable don't stay secure with the IEM, so I can not hold them on my chest. Took some pictures to show the problem. I'm from Brazil and the UM representant already asked me to send it back to him. But I'm very sad about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
confused_face.gif

UM Lab continues to have problems. I wish the reps would talk to their bosses about it.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #873 of 1,290
Quote:
I'm planning to order a UM Merlin next week. After you said UM Lab continues to have problem, I'm a bit afraid.

Yeah, the lab has consistently done crappy things that the UM reps then have to deal with. I wonder if UM isn't training or treating its workers well?

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #875 of 1,290
Quote:
Yeah, the lab has consistently done crappy things that the UM reps then have to deal with. I wonder if UM isn't training or treating its workers well?

Funny. I've had some really bad experiences with FutureSonics shell lab, and so has another of our members here on Head-Fi.

UM are not alone.

Just sayin', is all.

Therefore, King8888, I wouldn't necessarily be too put off about UM, from the standpoint that whoever you buy a CIEM from, it basically depends upon the individual member of staff who randomly happens to be allocated to work on your CIEM shells. All the CIEM vendors produce some good stuff and, occasionally, some less acceptable stuff. All the CIEM vendors have staff come and go, and thus occasional influx of new staff who may be less experienced. I'm not saying any of this to 'stick up for UM'; I'm merely pointing out that no lab/vendor always produces flawless work; it's luck of the draw, sometimes. I've had good and bad from UM and I've had good and bad from FS. Eventually, even the likes of Heir may slip from their pedestal. The very nature of CIEM manufacture is that it is an artform and requires human skill rather than being made entirely by machine (although, with the onward march of 3-D printing, this may change within the next couple of years).

I used to make high-class furniture and both myself and my colleagues would openly admit to each other (& ourselves) that some of our pieces were of a superior standard of craftsmanship to other pieces we'd made. This was never deliberate, it was just that sometimes the making of a piece would 'flow' and at other times mistakes would happen due to accidents or due to lapses of concentration, or to troublesome imperfections in materials.

In short, I would choose your CIEMs on the basis of which one you think is most likely to meet your requirements in terms of sound characteristics. Almost all the vendors/labs (including UM) can produce superb quality CIEMs and there is an entirely good chance that you'll be very happy with the quality of what you receive. If you happen to be unlucky, with whatever lab/vendor you buy from, then yes it's inconvenient but it's not the end of the world - there's a 30-day free remould policy for almost all CIEM vendors. No one likes the hassle and expense of this - not even the labs themselves, but that's just life. NO vendor is 'immune' to problems.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #876 of 1,290
Quote:
I was actually wondering something similar, but didn't want to bump the thread (thanks RobotsEatCookie :) ). Considering the Merlins are very low impedance units, how will they perform with an amp with a specified output of 16-300 OHM (Fiio E17 in my case)? Will there be alot of/noticeable hiss?

I don't know if you got any feedback on this but I can confirm that I have merlins and the E17 and they work together a treat - no hiss at all
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #877 of 1,290
Hi Mython

I appreciated your remind. Thank you

I already owned a jh16. Do you guys think will it be a waste to get Um Merlin? Or I should um miracle instead?

Is the mid range of Merlin backward? I dont like a V shape sound signature.

Funny. I've had some really bad experiences with FutureSonics shell lab, and so has another of our members here on Head-Fi.

UM are not alone.

Just sayin', is all.

Therefore, King8888, I wouldn't necessarily be too put off about UM, from the standpoint that whoever you buy a CIEM from, it basically depends upon the individual member of staff who randomly happens to be allocated to work on your CIEM shells. All the CIEM vendors produce some good stuff and, occasionally, some less acceptable stuff. All the CIEM vendors have staff come and go, and thus occasional influx of new staff who may be less experienced. I'm not saying any of this to 'stick up for UM'; I'm merely pointing out that no lab/vendor always produces flawless work; it's luck of the draw, sometimes. I've had good and bad from UM and I've had good and bad from FS. Eventually, even the likes of Heir may slip from their pedestal. The very nature of CIEM manufacture is that it is an artform and requires human skill rather than being made entirely by machine (although, with the onward march of 3-D printing, this may change within the next couple of years).

I used to make high-class furniture and both myself and my colleagues would openly admit to each other (& ourselves) that some of our pieces were of a superior standard of craftsmanship to other pieces we'd made. This was never deliberate, it was just that sometimes the making of a piece would 'flow' and at other times mistakes would happen due to accidents or due to lapses of concentration, or to troublesome imperfections in materials.

In short, I would choose your CIEMs on the basis of which one you think is most likely to meet your requirements in terms of sound characteristics. Almost all the vendors/labs (including UM) can produce superb quality CIEMs and there is an entirely good chance that you'll be very happy with the quality of what you receive. If you happen to be unlucky, with whatever lab/vendor you buy from, then yes it's inconvenient but it's not the end of the world - there's a 30-day free remould policy for almost all CIEM vendors. No one likes the hassle and expense of this - not even the labs themselves, but that's just life. NO vendor is 'immune' to problems.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #878 of 1,290
Quote:
Hi Mython
I appreciated your remind. Thank you
I already owned a jh16. Do you guys think will it be a waste to get Um Merlin? Or I should um miracle instead?
Is the mid range of Merlin backward? I dont like a V shape sound signature.

I ordered a Miracle as my sound sig is inclined to being neutral and detailed. Merlin is for bass people.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #879 of 1,290
I ordered a Miracle as my sound sig is inclined to being neutral and detailed. Merlin is for bass people.

I don't agree with that! My Merlin has a very tigh and controlled bass, and in no way it's strong, it goes deep but does not have a lot of impact. And I say that comparing with JH5,11 and 13. My fit and insulation is perfect!

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #880 of 1,290
Quote:
I don't agree with that! My Merlin has a very tigh and controlled bass, and in no way it's strong, it goes deep but does not have a lot of impact. And I say that comparing with JH5,11 and 13. My fit and insulation is perfect!

It is just clear that we have different perception about the sound sig of merlins. I find merlin too bassy for my taste. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #882 of 1,290
Quote:
It is just clear that we have different perception about the sound sig of merlins. I find merlin too bassy for my taste. 

Yes, you are right!!   
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #885 of 1,290
I'm finally going to demo the Merlin in early January, i'm going to compare it to the 1964 Q I heard recently and see who wins me over for my basshead custom. Anyone here heard both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back