REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Jul 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #841 of 1,290
Quote:

That makes sense. Small size is sometimes really important.

The only thing I will recommend is that you be sure to watch the output impedance. The Merlin dips rather low at certain frequencies, and if you are using an amp with a 5 or 10 ohm output impedance (for example) that is likely to cause some changes in the frequency response. So whatever amp you choose, you really want a 1 ohm or lower impedance if at all possible, to ensure you get the proper response as intended by UM. This applies to headphone amps in general but it's especially critical with the Merlin. 

Ahh that might explain the difference in sound moving from different sources and amps...apart from resolution and clarity of course. Going to have a few tests now and see what I find. Thanks for the advice Project!

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #842 of 1,290
hey guys! im rly interested in getting the Merlins as they seem amazingggg...but just how much bass does it have? I do like a little bit of bass boost but too much rly doesnt work with me. How would the bass compare to the likes of V-Moda M80 or AKG K550 or stuff like that?

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #849 of 1,290

One of my iem have a developed a small hole lately, there was a crack when I fist got it, and it since got worse and I can now see the driver through the hole. Does any one know if there is a easy way to fix this without sending it back to UM Lab?

P.S. The area around the conector have developed a milky colour,  does anyone know why?

Many thanks

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #850 of 1,290
That looks nasty!

You should really contact Unique Melody, moisture might have gotten in and started to corrode the drivers. It's still under warranty so.. contact them!

(If you wanna be "cheap", I think clear epoxy-mould should cover it up just fine.)

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #853 of 1,290
Just got my Merlins back. Fourth time. Quite happy this time. All I can say is get a deep impression and ask for longer canals, they were so short they could have been universals.. Finally satisfied. 1 year after original shipping date.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #854 of 1,290
Hey i finally just shipped off the Merlins i bought from DannyBai today for a reshell. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good amp to better the listening experience when pairing these with an iPhone 4S? Or is that even necessary? 

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #855 of 1,290
Quote:
Hey i finally just shipped off the Merlins i bought from DannyBai today for a reshell. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good amp to better the listening experience when pairing these with an iPhone 4S? Or is that even necessary? 

Personally, I get just as much satisfaction from my iPhone 4 as I do with my home rig for my merlin's. If you're out and about, I see no benefit in the extra bulk at all and the iphone4/4s is a pretty competent source too. I use my merlin's as part of my main desktop rig and portable rig i.e. I was sick of tired of big headphones and carrying around lumpy amps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back