REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Jun 5, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #721 of 1,290
Ordered a pair of Merlin after reading throroughly here on the forums. Thought I would join in on the talk.

I'm expecting quite alot, upgrading from IE8's to the Merlins. Bought a Leckerton Audio UHA-4 and 8-wire hybrid TWag/TWcu too, now it's just the Merlins remaining...

6 weeks and counting. :) Stephen has been great though. All kudos to him.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #723 of 1,290
The IE8's were lacking a lot in the mids department and to a lesser extent in the treble as well. Also, the bass wasn't all that good (it focused more on mid-bass than sub-bass, which is cheap of Sennheiser).

I expect the Merlin to be much better across the board.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #724 of 1,290
Quote:
Read back a few pages in this thread, you're not the only one unhappy about the service from UM UK...

Mine went back for a second time and were received at UM UK on monday the 21st of may. I really didn't want to send them back a second time for more waiting and hassle, but I was promised a turnaround time of two weeks max, or my money back on that very day the two weeks were up. That day was yesterday and I've tried getting in contact with UM UK since thursday, to no avail. I've sent several e-mails and left a ton of phone messages.

Dear UM, if you're reading this: Get in touch with me, you have my info.

Edit: Just got a call from UM Global. Nice to actually hear a human voice and to know that they're still live and kicking. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #725 of 1,290
I couldn't get the bass issue out of my head - everybody else was hearing much stronger (Atrio-like) bass than me. It had to be some seal issue, although my fit is great. I don't have the patience to send the customs back to UM UK and I didn't want to risk messing with the great fit. I decided to try out something like a wrap over the canal part - I used a drastically modified triple flange :wink: Yes, the seal is much better and... wow... BASS! Man, the Merlins can really pump out some visceral headshaking subbass!

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #726 of 1,290
Send us mail - sales@uniquemelody.co and we'll send you some Comply Soft Wraps.

We'd prefer to add a few layers of acrylic, but if you can't be bothered, these are the next best thing.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #727 of 1,290
Quote:
I couldn't get the bass issue out of my head - everybody else was hearing much stronger (Atrio-like) bass than me. It had to be some seal issue, although my fit is great. I don't have the patience to send the customs back to UM UK and I didn't want to risk messing with the great fit. I decided to try out something like a wrap over the canal part - I used a drastically modified triple flange :wink: Yes, the seal is much better and... wow... BASS! Man, the Merlins can really pump out some visceral headshaking subbass!

Soo what? Does it mean I also have fit issues? I mean my Merlin can go really deep but they are definately not bass-oriented IEMs for my taste. They are far from being SF5eb or IE8 f.e.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #728 of 1,290
Quote:
Soo what? Does it mean I also have fit issues? I mean my Merlin can go really deep but they are definately not bass-oriented IEMs for my taste. They are far from being SF5eb or IE8 f.e.

Does it feel like you get a proper seal with the iem? I'm sure you've used an iem before so you should have enough knowledge to know if it's sealing or not.  Also the Merlin doesn't have a ton of mid-bass like those iems you listed above so maybe that's why you feel like they are lacking with bass. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #729 of 1,290
Quote:

If your Merlins aren't pumping out more bass than SF5EB, it is a fit issue or a defective pair because the difference between the two is blatant, especially in sub-bass rumble. SF5EB is all midbass bloat in comparison.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #730 of 1,290
Quote:
If your Merlins aren't pumping out more bass than SF5EB, it is a fit issue or a defective pair because the difference between the two is blatant, especially in sub-bass rumble. SF5EB is all midbass bloat in comparison.

Maybe he is mistaking an overly bloated mid-bass as more bass than the Merlin?

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #731 of 1,290
Ok now guy serously I'm puzzled. I asked for "musician fit" so my Merlin fit really tight and I mean like really tight. First insert was PITA (or ear I should say), but now it's ideal. As for isolation - it's good. Better than most universals (excluding etys), similar to comply foams.
Sound doesn't change when I push IEMs agains/further into my ear. Bass hasn't chnaged since the first listen (more or less that's what I feel).

If we are discussing technical specs. SF5eb has ~10db@100Hz and +6dB@50Hz comapred to 1kHz, while Merlin has about +6dB@20-100Hz and compared to 1kHz.
For bass I understand - 0-150Hz, mid bass 150-250 and general mids 250-1,5kHz

Agian what I hear is that my Merlin don't have either bass or mid bass of SE5eb. I'm not saying it's bad though. I really like how my Melrin perform

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #732 of 1,290
Ok now guy serously I'm puzzled. I asked for "musician fit" so my Merlin fit really tight and I mean like really tight. First insert was PITA (or ear I should say), but now it's ideal. As for isolation - it's good. Better than most universals (excluding etys), similar to comply foams.
Sound doesn't change when I push IEMs agains/further into my ear. Bass hasn't chnaged since the first listen (more or less that's what I feel).

If we are discussing technical specs. SF5eb has ~10db@100Hz and +6dB@50Hz comapred to 1kHz, while Merlin has about +6dB@20-100Hz and compared to 1kHz.
For bass I understand - 0-150Hz, mid bass 150-250 and general mids 250-1,5kHz

Agian what I hear is that my Merlin don't have either bass or mid bass of SE5eb. I'm not saying it's bad though. I really like how my Melrin perform

inserting customs can be 'interesting'. e.g. it could feel odd and you'd tense your jaw muscles the first time - idk

as per first post:

pre-prod (5db? - I cbb counting the lines):
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c3/c3cc5e8c_DSC_0140.jpeg

prod(10db)
http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7d/7dc4e303_Someonesmerlincustomsfinal.jpeg

what'd your chart say?

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #733 of 1,290
Maybe he is mistaking an overly bloated mid-bass as more bass than the Merlin?

Or maybe because the SF5EB has really mediocre mid/treble clarity in comparison to the Merlin so the presentation doesn't come across as bass-dominant. Keeping in mind that Merlin has dual BAs for each, whereas SF5EB has a single BA for the lot.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #734 of 1,290
Quote:
inserting customs can be 'interesting'. e.g. it could feel odd and you'd tense your jaw muscles the first time - idk
as per first post:
pre-prod (5db? - I cbb counting the lines):
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c3/c3cc5e8c_DSC_0140.jpeg
prod(10db)
http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/7d/7dc4e303_Someonesmerlincustomsfinal.jpeg
what'd your chart say?

Right, thanks for putting those up. My graph is similar to the second and after checking one more time from mine it seems that 20Hz is about 8dB louder than 1kHz

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #735 of 1,290
Quote:
Ordered a pair of Merlin after reading throroughly here on the forums. Thought I would join in on the talk.

I'm expecting quite alot, upgrading from IE8's to the Merlins. Bought a Leckerton Audio UHA-4 and 8-wire hybrid TWag/TWcu too, now it's just the Merlins remaining...

6 weeks and counting. :) Stephen has been great though. All kudos to him.

8 weeks aand counting. Not a word except "They're in the making" heard thrice in the last 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back