REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Apr 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #571 of 1,290

Quote:
Well, my Merlins came in and I have to admit they are AMAZING. The bass is exactly what I was looking for. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my package and found a small carrying case and a set of Rooth earplugs. That said the case isn't amazing (It looks identical to the ones that come w/ beats tours) and I will probably get a better one for them but at least it's an improvement of having no case at all. The fit for me seems to be perfect (or at least I think it is) they fill my entire ear and they passed the Sensaphonics audio seal test that I found. Pics coming soon once i get a camera

That's great! I'm sooo loking forward to mine

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #572 of 1,290

Quote:
Agreed. At times I like my ED8 but I much prefer the Merlin. I've been so close to selling the 8, on so many occasions.... Can never quite brings myself to do it, but I probably should.
I suspect that for certain people with the proper size and shape of the head, it probably sounds better on a more consistent basis. I still think it is way overpriced though. Make no mistake - you are paying for the appearance and not the sound.

What would be your best bet for the absolutely best closed cans?

Sorry for the double quote.... The iPad just does that.

Best sealed cans period? I'd say the Stax SR4070 driven by a nice amp. It isn't as demanding as the O2 so you could get by with a Woo GES or a Stax 323 amp.... So we're still talking $3000 or more.... But that's not as bad as a top level O2 rig.

Aside from that,the Lawton LA7000 is high up on my list. I love it. Audio Technica W1000X is very good, though I'm sure the newer W3000ANV is even better. That's on my list of things to try soon. I also need to try the Thunderpants. Kenwood K1000 is very high on my list too, and it "only" costs $400 or so. The Sony R10 is very good but not worth the price in my opinion. I was always nervous to use mine for fear of scuffing it, so I couldn't enjoy it as much. Ended up selling it a while back.

I wish there were more excellent sealed cans for people like me who need them. But then I guess I should be happy with all the great custom IEMs now available.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #573 of 1,290

Quote:
Sorry for the double quote.... The iPad just does that.
Best sealed cans period? I'd say the Stax SR4070 driven by a nice amp. It isn't as demanding as the O2 so you could get by with a Woo GES or a Stax 323 amp.... So we're still talking $3000 or more.... But that's not as bad as a top level O2 rig.
Aside from that,the Lawton LA7000 is high up on my list. I love it. Audio Technica W1000X is very good, though I'm sure the newer W3000ANV is even better. That's on my list of things to try soon. I also need to try the Thunderpants. Kenwood K1000 is very high on my list too, and it "only" costs $400 or so. The Sony R10 is very good but not worth the price in my opinion. I was always nervous to use mine for fear of scuffing it, so I couldn't enjoy it as much. Ended up selling it a while back.
I wish there were more excellent sealed cans for people like me who need them. But then I guess I should be happy with all the great custom IEMs now available.

Wow, thanks 
smile.gif

Right, Stax are off the list on price alone. I had the W1000 (non-X) very briefly but sold them because I like my headphones to have bass. W1000X supposedly have more bass than the W1000 but still not enough (judging by reviews). I'll have to check up on the W3000ANV. R10 is not an option due to being prohibitively expensive and impossible to repair. I'd end up never using them for fear of breaking them. I've heard of the Kenwood K1000 and I'll have to find out some more about them. At that price, they should be worth a listen. Thanks for the comprehensive list!

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #574 of 1,290
Dear UM, next week it will be four months since I paid you £600 for a set Merlins and I am still yet to receive a fully functioning set of in-ear monitors. I fully understand that these take time to produce, but really, 4 months?

Would it kill you to at least keep me informed during the process? 

I hate being that whiny guy on the forum, but since you all seem to have stopped replying to emails, calling me back etc. I'm running out of options here.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #575 of 1,290

Quote:
Dear UM, next week it will be four months since I paid you £600 for a set Merlins and I am still yet to receive a fully functioning set of in-ear monitors. I fully understand that these take time to produce, but really, 4 months?

Would it kill you to at least keep me informed during the process? 

I hate being that whiny guy on the forum, but since you all seem to have stopped replying to emails, calling me back etc. I'm running out of options here.

Sorry to hear that but as it's been said recently you should go directly either to Matt at UM Global or Stephen at custom-iem to resolve any issues regarding UM amp-city

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #576 of 1,290
It is a real shame that this is happening with the UK outfit. I dealt directly with Unique Melody Global Sales team and the client service was superb. They responded promptly to emails and I received my Miracles within about one month from the date the molds were sent to China and they fit perfectly and sound amazing.

You have every right to be upset with the service you have received but if you can, hang in there, as the earphones are IMHO fantastic.

James

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #577 of 1,290

Quote:
Sorry to hear that but as it's been said recently you should go directly either to Matt at UM Global or Stephen at custom-iem to resolve any issues regarding UM amp-city

I have. Multiple times.

First UM UK stopped responding, now Matt seems to have taken a vow of silence as well

Edit: Matt got back to me shortly after I wrote the above. He has been very helpful and I have full confidence in him. The problem is that the previous three months of dealing with UM UK and their lack of communication has left me insanely frustrated. A slip in communications between me and Matt had led me to believe that he would hear from the lab last wednesday, so when I didn't hear anything from him, I started getting worried. 

May 1, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #580 of 1,290

Quote:
I received message from Stephen that UM shipped out my Merlins. I'm so over the moon and at the same time mad that I'm on vcation :frowning2: I really want them in my hands/ears :D

Congrats! You're not nearly exited enough, trust me... 
wink.gif

Sadly, still no good news for me. At least Matt is keeping me posted in stead of just leaving me in the dark like Amp City did.

May 1, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #583 of 1,290

Yes, there's a short holiday right now. The lab is still functioning though since I still get information from them. 
The lab is different from UMG, which is a distribution network organized by the Australian distributor for Australia, UK, Philippines and Malaysia at the moment.
Other distributors such as Stereo Singapore and ourself still get info from the lab. 
Quote:
There' some kinda Labour holiday in China so distributors may not get a response from UMG too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back