REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Oct 2, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,262 of 1,290
Hey guys, I've been looking into buying the Merlin and I noticed that there was a huge price bump of about $200. Is it really worth it at $1150? Also what are the differences between merlin v1 and v2?

Oct 2, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,263 of 1,290
  Hey guys, I've been looking into buying the Merlin and I noticed that there was a huge price bump of about $200. Is it really worth it at $1150? Also what are the differences between merlin v1 and v2?

Are you looking for the custom or the universal?  I may sell my universals shortly.  They are quite new....  Feel free to pm me if you are interested,

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #1,264 of 1,290

I was able to try this out last time at Canjam..V2 sounds livelier :) for me, it's got more dynamics and clarity and impact.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #1,265 of 1,290

Although I love my Merlin, I wouldn't by it again for over 1k (don't remember now, but I think I got them for 750$ when they were released) - the choice under 1k is simply too big. I would consider 64 Audio and their U8 (I'm guessing you like bass, as you are looking at the Merlin).

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,266 of 1,290
the choice under 1k is simply too bigreview-unique-melody-merlin-hybrid-dynamic-balanced-armature-custom-iem/1260#post_12907467"]
Although I love my Merlin, I wouldn't by it again for over 1k (don't remember now, but I think I got them for 750$ when they were released) - the choice under 1k is simply too big. I would consider 64 Audio and their U8 (I'm guessing you like bass, as you are looking at the Merlin).
[/quote]

So true, I am glad that iems are bucking the trend of the dap with crazy pricing. I just picked up the IT03 for only $250.000 with a sound that matches 1k or even 2k level iems.

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,267 of 1,290
was planning on going for a CIEM but the u8 just seems so appealing with their ADEL technology. Has anyone here tried both the u8 and the merlin?

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #1,269 of 1,290
the choice under 1k is simply too bigreview-unique-melody-merlin-hybrid-dynamic-balanced-armature-custom-iem/1260#post_12907467"]

So true, I am glad that iems are bucking the trend of the dap with crazy pricing. I just picked up the IT03 for only $250.000 with a sound that matches 1k or even 2k level iems.[/quote]

did you get them?
I would like more details to hear your opinion.

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,273 of 1,290
With the frequency of new IEMs arriving on the market, things become old very quickly. Question is if any of the new stuff are significantly better :p

I haven't really been head-fiing much in the past year and a half, got caught up with other things. I did read some stuff about newer IEMs (Campfire Audio, Empire Ears) that are intriguing, but I wonder if they would be able to "blow away" the Merlins so easily.

Crystal clear, delicious sub bass, great seperation with a spotlight on the vocals.

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #1,274 of 1,290
  With the frequency of new IEMs arriving on the market, things become old very quickly. Question is if any of the new stuff are significantly better :p

I haven't really been head-fiing much in the past year and a half, got caught up with other things. I did read some stuff about newer IEMs (Campfire Audio, Empire Ears) that are intriguing, but I wonder if they would be able to "blow away" the Merlins so easily.

Crystal clear, delicious sub bass, great seperation with a spotlight on the vocals.

Amen to that. Since I have my Merlins (preorder) I tried several other IEMs, but none came even close. Yes, there were better in bass department (Velvet, ASG-2.5), but in the rest of the spectrum Merlins won every time hands down. Only the big dudes Audeze LCD-2F were better overall, but that's a totally different kind of monster :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back