REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Jul 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,053 of 1,290
After much testing, i finally bit the bullet today for a pair of Merlins, hopefully will arrive within 6 weeks in immaculate condition without fitting or technical issues, to replace my 5 year old dual driver LiveWires.

Hopefully it will look like how i wanted it with correct colour combinations and custom art like how i rendered it:

https://xstmsg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pGodA_mR1kzZrnpweSXDryRavMZRwtueYVWr49nM_cm1vWKsq-QL0eFnpGoR7Ab07-Y3r49mLxwE0Lq0MB74I2GrqareQWtAdbOGJmcuyJl8/Merlin%20Mockup.png?psid=1

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,056 of 1,290
Hi all. Yep they do! The vents are very small metal tubings. I got them for sgd900 in all. The local distributor has a sale going on this July. They sell all of the um series and after trying the whole lineup, i liked the Merlins the best. I even preferred it to the mentors. The demo sets were all hand made acrylic universals and i had expected mine to be so but apparently um now 3d prints the universals so its much2 faster, not to mention a smaller body which is very comfortable. The saleaperson ticked 3d printed universals in my order sheet. I believe my pair of merlins were constructed in China. I've had them for a week and they sound spectacular. I hope to be able to write a short review soon. Its strange how people are going on and on about the new hybrids but very few seem to have revisted the Merlins. Having owned a fair bit of iems and headphones, I think these are a fantastic pair of earphones. A great accomplishment by um.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,057 of 1,290
I really tempted to reshell my Merlin into Universal form. After a year i realize that it's better to have Universal form for listening when i lie on my bed (most of time).
Beside, the really did well on universal's design. I gonna throw 250 for it ><

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,058 of 1,290
I really tempted to reshell my Merlin into Universal form. After a year i realize that it's better to have Universal form for listening when i lie on my bed (most of time).
Beside, the really did well on universal's design. I gonna throw 250 for it ><

Be sure to ask for the 3d printed version. Its really very comfortable. But you'll have to try different tips to settle on a particular sound. The different tips dont mess the sound about a great deal. Its just that there are very subtle differences.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #1,059 of 1,290
Be sure to ask for the 3d printed version. Its really very comfortable. But you'll have to try different tips to settle on a particular sound. The different tips dont mess the sound about a great deal. Its just that there are very subtle differences.

Hi

Any idea if they would ship to uk?

Thanks

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #1,062 of 1,290
I read through this whole thread twice now (what am I doing with my life?). Once before ordering the Merlin, now again since I placed the order earlier today 
biggrin.gif
 (need to reinforce myself after the sinking feeling of departing with all that money).

I am upgrading to this from my Brainwavz R3 IEM that I received for free with my Ibasso DX90 from mp4nation. I think I am in for a real treat! I went down this path because after getting the Ultrasone Pro 900 I got addicted to soundstage, and the merlin is basically a similar signature in a CIEM. I started getting fed up with the Pro 900 which are kind of heavy and hot. The cups swivel and drive me crazy fit wise, especially since I am so conscious of the whole S-logic and driver placement, so I keep repositioning them on my head. After starting to use the Brainwavz R3 (which sound great to my ears), I almost always prefered to quickly insert these than taking out the Pro 900 and messing with them on my head for an hour. Thing is, I do occasionally have fit issues with the R3 as well, having to adjust/push them in deeper and then start rolling tips when I get too annoyed.

I was about to go for a higher tier IEM like Sennheiser IE80 or Sony EX1000/600, but then I read up on how some members here preferred their portable rigs (audiophile DAP + CIEM) compared to their expensive HD800/T1 desktop rigs. Hopefully my journey will end after this (who am I kidding?).

Initially I was torn between the Merlin and the JH16 but decided on the Merlin since they are supposed to have a larger soundstage and are cheaper for me (I live in Israel). This still was sort of a tough decision due to all the marketing hype about 10 and 12 driver CIEMs out there. I wonder how much the Merlin keeps up with it's 4 BAs and 1 DD... I hope they aren't lagging too far behind.

I know I have a long wait ahead of me but I was wondering if someone can enlighten me a little bit about impedance issues of the Merlin and the DX90. So far, I always use it on high gain as I feel it gives me the most dynamics.

Thanks for all the wonderful impressions guys, couldn't have gotten all this info anywhere else 
beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,064 of 1,290
Cross posting like a boss..

Just got mine this week! Love them.

Here's some pics!
http://imgur.com/a/jMi1Q

The case in my photos is a Pelican 1010 :)

The wait time was just over 6 weeks from sending off impressions to getting the iems back through Unique Melody Global (uniquemelody.co) - tough wait, but worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back