1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM

First

Back
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
Next

Last
  1. piotrus-g
    Quote:
    Mine's great!

2. kckc
    Quote:

So is mine! [​IMG]

3. dannytang
    me three!

4. IronLung
    Which one is brighter: merlin or hidition nt-6?
    I like the way my etymotic er4 sounds but I need a more comfortable ciem :) with the better sound stage. Thank u.

5. kckc
    Quote:

I doubt you'll find someone who owns both, but according to average_joe's review of the nt-6 and my experience with the Merlin, I can almost safely assume that the hidition is brighter. 

6. DannyBai
    Quote:
    Did you ever decide on ordering the Merlins?
    I am still preferring the Miracles over the Merlins.  

7. craigp
    Quote:

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing these IEMs but am concerned about the sound "leakage" (My latest iems are the Sony EX1000 which I LOVE but do leak sound slightly which isn't great in a quiet office).

Is the above comment by wahu a speculation or is there (maybe in the near future) going to be a non-vented driver for the Merlins?  I presume this would reduce (or stop completely?) sound from escaping?

8. Cassadian
    Quote:

Won't be anything near to the bad isolation of the EX1000.  It should be slightly less than -26dB of isolation.

9. wahu
    Quote:
    I wasn't referring to the big hole in the back. I was talking about the metal back surface of the dynamic driver no longer being vented.  I have no idea how it would affect sound leakage but my merlins barely leak sound. There is no way someone in a quiet office could hear what you are listening to.

10. craigp
    Thanks guys.  It was the OP comment below that worried me:

"I don’t want to overstate the issue of sound leakage: it is minimal but it does exist. The determining factor will have to do with what you listen to and how loud. If I listen at moderate levels to classical, my wife doesn't complain when she is sitting next to me reading in a quiet room - she can hardly hear a thing. But if I play some Metallica or something like that, at loud levels, she can tell what I'm listening to. It doesn't really bother her, but she can tell."

I do like on occasion to listen to music relatively loud and with my Shure SE535LTD (Reds) nobody can hear a thing no matter how loud I go.  The thing is I have fallen in love with the controlled bass of the Sonys and I'm (rightly or wrongly) putting it down to the dynamic driver which is why I am considering the Merlins.

Don't suppose any of you guys that own the Merlins have also listened to the Sonys have you??

Cheers!

Craig

11. wahu
    I just tested it again at normal listening volume. No sound leak at 2 feet. Slightly audible a 1 foot but impossible to tell what i'm listening to. We are talking a really negligible amount of leak that I can't image being a problem in any real life scenario.. Unless you plan on rubbing ears with everyone at work you'll be fine.

12. craigp
    Quote:
    If you could see this office you would know how wrong that comment is! [​IMG]

Appreciate you re-testing though.  Thanks!

Craig

13. wahu
    Quote:
    Well this comment may put your mind at ease. I also own some se535s and the sound leak is identical to my merlins.

14. craigp
    Wow.  Ok, that comment did help.  Thanks!!

Now, if anyone has listened to both the Merlin and the EX1000 and can comment on the similarities/differences that would be even better (although I guess this is a little optimistic [​IMG])

15. svyr
    I'd me more concerned about dust or small children falling into the vent vs isolation :D

First

Back
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
Next

Last