REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Aug 15, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 1,290
Thanks for the excellent review Project 86!

I had a chance to listen to the Merlin demo some months ago - I think it was the revised version (2) - and I had similar impressions from it as you described. With the mid range being a bit distant and bass being too loud for some genres of music.

I ordered a set of Miracles after that - however now reading your review think I would have ordered the prototype (v1) Merlin if it was available. Miracle style mids and highs plus dynamic bass would be amazing.

If only UM would offer both versions for sale...

thanks again for writing honest and quality reviews.

gav.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #17 of 1,290
maaan I wish I'd come to the syd meet :frowning2:
if they had a pair... I think they did

My UM customs had a FR similar to the prototype (even a bit less - about 3db across)... I think that enough bass there though. At least for me.

That said, using a demo pair of Aeros - once you get used to a bass boost it's a lot of fun and it does it in such a way as to not interfere with the rest (not sure about the dynamic/ba combo, but veeery curious). It's even good for classical =\

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #18 of 1,290
They are quite similar... I own the ie8 and I just sampled the demo Merlin today... If I wanted to upgrade, I would pick it over ACS T1, JH13 & Miracle (all sampled on the same day, and all are demos sets- tested each on a variety of songs over 10 minutes). And I'm a fan of ie8 :)... FYI I also currently own JVC ha fx700, Earsonic SM3 n Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 1,290

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Since I've never heard UM customs, I am not familiar with their treble presentation.  Would you say their treble has a sense of "air" or is it more smooth (and laid back like a westone 4) while maintaining clarity and detail?

I'd say it is somewhere in between those two words.... sort of a best of both worlds. At least that's how I hear it. It is definitely more sharp and distinct that my 1964-T customs, which have that slightly laid back 1964 Ears house sound. But it is a tad less "in your face" than the JH13. All of these sounds have their moments when I prefer one over the others, but the UM style probably works most often (for me anyway). 

Quote:
Excellent review! This sounds like it would be something like an IE8 on steroids? Would that be a fair assessment assuming you have heard the IE8.

I'm not sure how keen I would be to owning something like this since my preference is more towards the neutral side of things with a hint of warm or something that sounds like the prototype Merlin.

If you ignore the bass aspects of each one, it's a fundamentally different flavor than the IE8. More energy, more detail, yet still very smooth.

Despite the differences I think IE8 lovers would likely enjoy Merlin as an upgrade. 

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent review Project 86!

I had a chance to listen to the Merlin demo some months ago - I think it was the revised version (2) - and I had similar impressions from it as you described. With the mid range being a bit distant and bass being too loud for some genres of music.

I ordered a set of Miracles after that - however now reading your review think I would have ordered the prototype (v1) Merlin if it was available. Miracle style mids and highs plus dynamic bass would be amazing.

If only UM would offer both versions for sale...

thanks again for writing honest and quality reviews.

gav.

It's too bad about the demo set. I'll get to hear the latest one soon enough, so we'll see if it is closer to the real thing. But even on the real thing there are some people who would find the bass too big. Honestly I think the prototype would appeal to a lot of people..... which is actually a bad thing from a marketing standpoint. Cannibalizing sales from the Miracle is not a good business plan!

Quote:
maaan I wish I'd come to the syd meet
frown.gif

if they had a pair... I think they did

My UM customs had a FR similar to the prototype (even a bit less - about 3db across)... I think that enough bass there though. At least for me.

That said, using a demo pair of Aeros - once you get used to a bass boost it's a lot of fun and it does it in such a way as to not interfere with the rest (not sure about the dynamic/ba combo, but veeery curious). It's even good for classical =\

Thanks for your comments. It's so interesting to me how different people hear differently, and then have different preferences as well. Like your SR507 for sale - that's probably a dream headphone for some neutrality-loving person out there, but obviously it isn't working for your needs. But then again if it was around a few years ago maybe it would have suited you better at the time. I find my target sound changing over the years.

I suspect the Merlin bass might be too strong for you, but certainly check it out if you ever get the chance.

Quote:
FYI, I also agree with project86's impressions on miracle n Merlin. N I will definitely buy the Merlin... Great price.

Thank you for your impressions! I think people would love to hear more about the Merlin compared to the FX700, if you get a second. If not, thanks for the info you have already posted.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 1,290

Personally i have made my mind up on the Miracles but hey i might just go for a pair of Merlins also for those times when you just kinda want something to make your body rumble.....
tongue.gif

Has anyone compared the Merlins to say the JH16's or even Westones E5S which has a simmilar 5 driver config? Would be interesting .....

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #22 of 1,290
Both are excellent, just that one is priced cheaper by $150.
miracle- cleaner sounding low
Merlin- more rumble to the low, very slightly more bass quantity.
Also, miracle has slightly mids than Merlin in tracks with less bass, because merlin's bass take the stage in tracks with bass. (that could be my imagination- I mean the mids being better) please take my advice with a pinch of salt cos I only demo - ed for 15 mins.
In the end I bought Merlin from custom iem .com

To project86:
Sure! I'll do that before selling the JVCs away.

To maguire:
I wanted to sample the jh16s, but shop assistant told me they are being serviced.
In the end, I tried the jh13.
Can't remember if they are better than miracle or Merlin, but I know I won't be missing it's sound.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 1,290
Just sent in my impressions for some Merlins! can't wait, it will be really good to not worry about tips anymore, plus the expected huge sub-bass of course.

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #26 of 1,290
I'll be able to compare the Merlin to the UE SuperFi 5EB, Radius DDM1, JVC HA-FXT90 for hybrid/"oddity" (read: multiple dynamic driver) IEMs, plus more conventional IEMs like W4, Klipsch X10i, TF10.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #27 of 1,290
Hi, Nice pictures...

The sub-bass on that FR looks pretty er, intense.  As usual we're seeing another ~6kHz spike just like in the Miracle, Rooth LS8, and the Sony EX1000, why are ALL the best IEM's lately using a ~6kHz spike, it's kinda interesting, don't you think?

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #28 of 1,290

Quote:
As usual we're seeing another ~6kHz spike just like in the Miracle, Rooth LS8, and the Sony EX1000, why are ALL the best IEM's lately using a ~6kHz spike, it's kinda interesting, don't you think?

Kind of mentioned this before but this is common when phones are targeted at Asian markets primarily.  Different languages have different emphasis in certain parts of the spectrum.  I forget the technical term for this but there it is.  Listen to some Mandarin and you should get the picture.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #30 of 1,290

Quote:
Kind of mentioned this before but this is common when phones are targeted at Asian markets primarily.  Different languages have different emphasis in certain parts of the spectrum.  I forget the technical term for this but there it is.  Listen to some Mandarin and you should get the picture.

You mentioned that like... a year ago, I think you said the "voicing" or something... anyway it's a good point.  I dunno if it's just me but I think the EX600 has a strange "tonality" to it, I mean certain tones are emphasized that makes it sound like an "oriental" scale, rather than a western C-major scale... if you catch my drift...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back