[Review] UM Merlin, FS MG6Pro, AKG K3003
May 18, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #121 of 243
Quote:
Looks like I may have the MG6Pro back in my hands as early as tomorrow.

Did you end up getting them back? If so how did thy fair against the Merlins?? Dying to hear anything!

May 18, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #122 of 243
Yeah, I've already started saving money for the MG6pros - if they fall short in the comparison with the Merlin's, I'll just buy a new TV :wink:

May 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #124 of 243
May 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #125 of 243
Awesome! I'm glad future sonics worked it out.. I've been looking forward to this comparison for way too many moon cycles!  
popcorn.gif

By any chance, do the mg6pro's low frequency vent plugs fit in the merlin's port?  Be cool if you could try that out.

If they don't, I just bought a pair of merlins on the fs forum and when I get them reshelled, I might buy a set of the plugs from the future sonics site and then ask the resheller to make my merlin's port the same size as the mg6pro's so I could use the plugs to mess with the reshelled merlin's soundstage and bass impact.  Good idea/bad idea?

May 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #127 of 243
Quote:
By any chance, do the mg6pro's low frequency vent plugs fit in the merlin's port?  Be cool if you could try that out.

If they don't, I just bought a pair of merlins on the fs forum and when I get them reshelled, I might buy a set of the plugs from the future sonics site and then ask the resheller to make my merlin's port the same size as the mg6pro's so I could use the plugs to mess with the reshelled merlin's soundstage and bass impact.  Good idea/bad idea?

They won't fit due to the size, depth and angle of the Merlin vent.  I'm not sure you'd be able to have the vent modded to accept the inserts if the same location was kept; and moving the location of the vent may have an undesirable effect.

May 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #128 of 243
Wow, your review of the MG6 Pro was surprising.  Perhaps you have especially sensitive ears in regards to those frequencies.  Anyways, a nice detailed review while still being succinct.

May 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #129 of 243
Quote:
Wow, your review of the MG6 Pro was surprising.  Perhaps you have especially sensitive ears in regards to those frequencies.  Anyways, a nice detailed review while still being succinct.

I'm thinking somewhere between 2k and 4k must be some kind of natural resonance area for my ears.  It's all I can really think of.  The EQ does wonders for me.

May 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #130 of 243
Mhm... it's possible that due to the shape of your ear canal that it causes those frequencies to oscillate at a great amplitude.  I'm sorry that you have to EQ in ear monitors that are approximately 1000 dollars, kind of a shame.  

I'm sure your next upgrade in the near or distant future will suit your needs.

May 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #131 of 243
There might be a natural resonance somewhere in the iem itself? There are lots of odd surfaces, wires etc inside iems so it's more likely the resonance is in there. If your ears had a natural resonance you should be able to recreate the same effect with other iems. Just eq up those frequencies on your other iems and see if you can hear it on them too.

May 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #132 of 243
Thanks for asking my vent plug question and providing a very interesting read!

I saw on your profile you've got the atrio m5's and those are supposed to have the same sound sig as the mg66pros but everything more better- did you experience harshness peaks with those?  If you still have them, can you make a quick comparison?

Also, with the Merlins an LOD and DigiZoid Zo, can the Merlins push anywhere near the amount of air that the mg6pros can? (I've got one and find that although some micro details are lost with it, it really does provide a significant boost in deep controlled sub-bass)

Many thanks again :)

May 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #133 of 243
Quote:
There might be a natural resonance somewhere in the iem itself? There are lots of odd surfaces, wires etc inside iems so it's more likely the resonance is in there. If your ears had a natural resonance you should be able to recreate the same effect with other iems. Just eq up those frequencies on your other iems and see if you can hear it on them too.

Hmm, you might be right. It could be a combination.  I no longer have any single dynamic drivers to try this with but I did try it with my Meelec A161P.  That's a single BA, so it's not quite the same test and it also has a natural dip in the 4k area.  With equalizer I boosted 2k and 4k several decibels and while it got a little hot, it never got overly harsh.  However with the dip in the 4k range that the A161P has, it is super smooth to me.

Quote:
Thanks for asking my vent plug question and providing a very interesting read!

I saw on your profile you've got the atrio m5's and those are supposed to have the same sound sig as the mg66pros but everything more better- did you experience harshness peaks with those?  If you still have them, can you make a quick comparison?

Also, with the Merlins an LOD and DigiZoid Zo, can the Merlins push anywhere near the amount of air that the mg6pros can? (I've got one and find that although some micro details are lost with it, it really does provide a significant boost in deep controlled sub-bass)

Many thanks again :)

I no longer have the Atrios.  I remember having a few minor issues but chalked it up to slightly unrefined lower treble.  It was never really bothersome.

I'll have to get back to you on the Merlin with the Zo.  I'm thinking the way UM vents the Merlin, it won't move as much air as the MG6Pro. The vent location of the Merlin seems to preserve as much isolation as possible.  While covering it does affect bass response and soundstage, it doesn't affect it to the same level as covering the MG6Pro vent.

May 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #135 of 243
Thanks for the update and review!
You highlighted very well the many pitfalls and variables which can make or break the overall finished product, some of which I was unaware of...fingers crossed my audiologist directed it well!
At the end of the day, its all a bit of a gamble and without people like you we'd all be jumping blind! Looking forward to my Merlins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back