Review - Triple.fi10 Custom Silver upgrade cable by user Chris_himself
Aug 6, 2011 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

pandab55

100+ Head-Fier
A little background about myself as a headfi member.  

Recently I have become more fascinated with improving the quality of the sound of the music I listen to.  I am now in my early 30's, and the last time I was this interested in audio equipment was 10+ years ago when I was in college and wanted a nice "system" for my truck.  Fortunately now, I am a member of the headfi community and have finally come across something that has compelled me to write a review for all of you to read.  Take it easy on my amateur review...when it comes to exact details and things of the like, I am no expert.

I have been using a set of triple.fi 10's for two years now.  As I became more informed about upgrading cables from reading the boards, I naturally wanted to spend my hard earned money getting better sound from my IEM's.  Scouring the boards, I saw that there are a few places that sell cables and it seems as if most of those places are located in China and customer service can be pretty spotty.  SO after reading I saw that some members were raving about custom cables made by the user Chris_himself located in my state of CA...I PM'd him and asked him to make me cable for my triples.  

My experience with him began on a positive note because he literally responded with a price that was very reasonable compared with the companies in China(he was much cheaper).  He asked me lots of detailed questions of what I wanted.  Being new to this, I told him to make me something good and I would spend a little extra as long as I liked it.  I was SUPER skeptical that silver cord could really make a difference.  Boy was I pleasantly surprised that I was wrong.  The silver cable he made me not only looks cool, but more importantly it gave new life to my triple.fi's and made my music pop.  Every bit of sound was improved.  The highs, lows and especially mids.  I dont know if this is a by product of upgrading cables, but it seems as if I don't need to turn the volume up on my iphone/ipad/amp anymore.  I find myself cutting the volume by 20-30% with the new cables vs. the stock.  I absolutely love this upgrade and Chris_himself has satisfied my desire to upgrade my IEM's...for now.  I listen to a wide variety of music, but I gauge how much I like the sound using Dave Matthews.

If you are at all curious about upgrading, I strongly recommend using Chris_himself.  You can learn from him, as he is very helpful.  I can say that if my cables have any problems I have full confidence that he will make it right.  

Some specs according to him: (I don't know anything about this stuff, all I care about is what sounds good to me)

28AWG 99.99997% Solid Core Silver in a Litz braid twisted in black and clear
Polished Yak bone Y-connect that he makes
Cyro-parts Carbon fiber gold plated mini-plug
Cusom hand rolled epoxy connectors with 24k gold plated nickle alloy pins.

Here are some pics. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 40
I also asked him to make me a line out for my iphone using his silver cable magic as well as a straight to straight cable.  Next month I will let him take apart my denon ahd5000's and recable those as well.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 40
Hey thank you from the bottom of my beer gut for the review man! Don't forget about Ted! I couldn't do this project without him!

You're supposed to keep the D5000 thing a secret from me, now I'm all excited LOL.

Thats weird about the whole improvement in efficiency thing... I honestly thought since the highs were clearer and more pronounced that I didn't have to turn my volume up. Then again, I haven't used a stock UE cable in a while...

Thanks for supporting my project, it's all the happy people that keeps me doing this :)

Also what in the heck is a D5000 and what part am I supposed to recable?

KIDDING!

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 40
Very nice! I having been considering recabling my triple.fi's

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 40
I was super skeptical about a cable changing the sound of the IEMs but I was so happy I did.  I love my triplefis with the silver cable.  I can never go back to the stock cable.  I have tried another cable from null audio, and it was decent, but Chris' cable provided better sound and the null audio plugs stretched the pin inserts on my triplefi's too.  If you email Chris, there are tons of options on how you want your cable built.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 40
Yea, Chris's cables provide much better sound than the stock cables. I was a bit skeptical about cables at first, but I'm glad I hopped on the bandwagon. His cables provide great sound for a fraction of the price of competitors, and quite frankly they are very affordable. I got my TF10's on the black friday sale, so I treated myself to a cable. Average_joe's review sums it up pretty well, and I would agree with everything he says.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564978/13-custom-iem-tf10-cables-reviewed-uber-muzik-v5f-added-1-03-2012

"[size=11pt]with TF10 Reshell[/size][size=11pt]: The pins don't fit all the way into the sockets in the Kozee reshell, but the fit is secure.  Sonically the TF10 improves dramatically with a more 3D presentation, better clarity, and an overall more refined and smoother sound.  The midrange is brought to a more forward position, more than likely because the added soundstage depth.  Switching back to the stock cable is a huge disappointment, but with the CH cable the TF10 actually takes a step up the performance ladder and stops me from wanting to take the TF10 out of my ears after a few seconds of listening."[/size]

Quote:
I was super skeptical about a cable changing the sound of the IEMs but I was so happy I did.  I love my triplefis with the silver cable.  I can never go back to the stock cable.  I have tried another cable from null audio, and it was decent, but Chris' cable provided better sound and the null audio plugs stretched the pin inserts on my triplefi's too.  If you email Chris, there are tons of options on how you want your cable built.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 40

Quote:
hey Chris

When will you have cables for recessed sockets for my UM3X?

Everytime somebody asks me to do a cable for their recessed sockets, I cry manly tears of despair. I can't do 'em and guarantee fit especially since like 40% of my demographic is overseas.

Also wait what I thought UM3x were just standard extruding sockets? PICS REQUIRED PLOX :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 40
Those cables look good, and I love the wood accents.  I'd have wood accents on my cables, but then they wouldn't fit in my UE zippo case anymore

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 40

Quote:
Those cables look good, and I love the wood accents.  I'd have wood accents on my cables, but then they wouldn't fit in my UE zippo case anymore

I can send you a sticker of wood accent pattern and then they'll still fit :D

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 40
I'm very satisfied with Chris's cable. Just got them on Thursday for my TF10's & they improved the sound out of the box if a little tinny. I'm close to reaching 100 hours of burn in & they sound even better much smoother. Chris has made a skeptic into a believer here.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 40
After reading a few reviews of chris_himself cables, I bit the bullet and decided to buy one of these today. Can't wait to try them with my reshelled TF10s (hopefully the build is good and I don't need refits!).

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 40

Quote:
I'm very satisfied with Chris's cable. Just got them on Thursday for my TF10's & they improved the sound out of the box if a little tinny. I'm close to reaching 100 hours of burn in & they sound even better much smoother. Chris has made a skeptic into a believer here.

I started building these purely just to say I had silver cables. Little did I know they'd have such a following due to their sonic abilities, you guys are the experts! Thank you so much for the support folks.

Quote:
After reading a few reviews of chris_himself cables, I bit the bullet and decided to buy one of these today. Can't wait to try them with my reshelled TF10s (hopefully the build is good and I don't need refits!).

Ahh so now I have a profile to associate with the name. Thanks for the order :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back