[REVIEW]: The Silver Poison: Pure, Cyro-Treated, Silver Cable For In-Ear Monitors From Toxic Cables
Jul 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus

Synopsis:  Toxic Cables’ Silver Poison are top-tier, pure silver upgrade cables for custom in-ear monitors. They sound beautiful, combining smoothness and presence with the superior detail silver cables are known for.  An attractive, classy look and high-quality build complement the sound. For a very competitive price of £155 and Toxic Cables’ responsive customer service the Silver Poison is perfect for those wishing to get the most from their custom in-ear monitors.

Introduction: The first step for anyone wanting to step into high-end portable audio is to choose the right earphones for you. After that, there’s more you can do to help your earphones reach their full potential. These include having the right digital-audio player and possibly a portable amp. What lies between your earphones and your music player is the cable. I can’t answer for anyone else, but for me, the differences between cables can be clear. I don’t want to exaggerate the effect of an upgrade cable, but I can say that I certainly hear an audible difference. It won’t make one earphone sound like a different one, but it can certainly give that little extra improvement which can make all the difference to an audiophile. And they can look phenomenal.

History: I started looking at upgrade cables when I bought my first custom in-ear monitor. From the beginning, I was interested both in getting the best sound, but also in working with people I could trust. Frank at Toxic Cables has been making a splash in portable audio with his very nice cables and (importantly for me) very responsive customer service. He and I started talking and he offered me a pre-production sample of his flagship ciem cable, the Silver Poison, for review. I’m mentioning this because I like to talk about how I received the products I review. I think it adds to the validity of my reviews to be totally upfront. That way you know you’re getting an honest review.

The Silver Poison: The Silver Poison is a cyro-treated, pure  stranded AWG 26 OCC silver cable with a small percentage of gold. The gold is a bit interesting. Frank tells me that it varies in the tests he does on every batch between 0.6% and .09%. It’s just a small amount and I can’t say what difference it makes in the sound, but it is worth noting.

Options: There are quite a number of options for terminations on the Silver Poison. Here are a few, but if you have any questions or want something special, just email Frank personally: Info.toxic.cables at gmail.com

Cables will come as standard with mini Viablue 3.5mm jacks, following option/upgrades available,
Viablue 3.5mm (large) + FREE
Oyaide gold plated + £8
Oyaide gold plated R/A + £8
Oyaide rhodium + £12
Oyaide rhodium R/A +£12
Neutrik R/A + FREE
Valab Carbon Fibre 3.5mm + FREE
RSA + FREE
Basso + £10 (Gold plated contacts)
TRRS + FREE
My Silver Poison has the standard mini Viablue 3.5mm jack and it’s quite nice.

Appearance and Usability :

The new clear connector overmolds look great.

This is a beautiful cable. Pictures don’t fully do this cable justice. It looks better than my other silver cables and it’s very classy and really draws appreciative looks. Importantly, it manages to be a bit slimmer, lighter, and more flexible than some other upgrade cables I’ve seen. This is key in making the Silver Poison a very usable cable for real portable audio, travelling, commuting, or staying in home or office. While not as flexible and with a bit more spring than a stock cable, it is quite nice and it lies comfortably over the ear. All in all, it’s a step up in usability from most high-end upgrade cables.

Durabilty: As I like to remind people: The cable is one of the most likely parts of a portable audio set-up to fail: Try to treat your cable well. Having said that, I subjected the Silver Poison to a no-holds-barred NYC subway commuting schedule and it has held up perfectly. Frank takes pride in his work and it really shows. This is a very well crafted cable, from top to bottom.

Gear: Before I mention the sound, I should describe the other parts of my portable set-up. I have the Futuresonics MG6Pro, which uses a 13mm dynamic driver with a variable vent system for low-frequency response. I ran it out of a TTVJ Slim amp and a 5.5 gen ipod classic.

Sound: I let my cable burn-in for about 125 hours to cover my bases before giving it a thorough listen, so keep that in mind.

While further comparisons with other cables may be coming in the future, for now I wanted to compare the Silver Poison with the standard stock cable. I was recently speaking with the head of a custom iem company and he said that a single company supplies stock cables for all major custom iem manufacturers. There are some options for appearance and terminations, etc., but they are all the same basic cable. So, let’s see how the Silver Poison does against it. Let me say that the differences are most obvious when I allowed my ears to be accustomed to the stock cable for a day and then went back to the Silver Poison.

Overall, the big differences are in detail, presence and balance. I’ll explain what I mean for each.

For detail, I hear a step up in detail resolution across the whole frequency spectrum for the Silver Poison. It’s a nice effect and this is a big part of why someone would choose a silver cable like the Silver Poison. As a side note, the Silver Poison is a little more detailed than the original Fortis pure silver cable I've reviewed a while back as well.

Presence was an unexpected improvement for me. What I mean is that when I carefully compared the stock and Silver Poison, the stock cable sounded recessed somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble vocal sweet spot range. The Silver Poison sounds more present and more alive in that range. It’s interesting and it’s very nice.

The Silver Poison sounds more smooth and balanced as well. Smoothness with detail might be the nicest part of the Silver Poison’s sound. The stock cable tended to sound a bit rougher and peakier. A big part of the balance is a reduction of the slight mid-bass swell that the stock cable seems to have. This helps to give the Silver Poison a better sense of bass extension.

The sum effect of these differences in detail, presence and balance is that music sounds more real—that’s the detail—and alive—that’s the balance and presence.

Conclusion: The Toxic Cables’ Silver Poison makes a great upgrade from a custom iem’s stock cable. With added detail and living presence to the music, plus better balance and smoothness, it’s audibly a better sounding cable. It also looks beautiful and it’s very well made. I’m very happy with this cable. The Silver Poison is going to be the audiophile’s go-to choice for top performance and a very competitive price.

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 57
I thought silver poison came standard with clear overmold connectors to the earpieces? In anycase, great review! i'm looking forward to my silver poison cables that should be shipping out this week (my 3rd week of waiting!) and also looking forward to my 8.A's whenever they arrive lol =)

deadhorse.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 57
Quote:
I thought silver poison came standard with clear overmold connectors to the earpieces? In anycase, great review! i'm looking forward to my silver poison cables that should be shipping out this week (my 3rd week of waiting!) and also looking forward to my 8.A's whenever they arrive lol =)

deadhorse.gif

It does.  The black overmoulded connectors were for the prototypes.  

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 57
Quote:
Great review!! Have you tried the cable on a B.A CIEM like the 8a yet??

Yes. I think the Silver Poison has a very nice synergy with my 8.A. The balance and presence of the Silver Poison make for a good match.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

deadhorse.gif

Sorry, but there was a slight delay with my overmoulders, i had found out after i had given the first few who pre ordered a 3 week wait time, The cables should start shipping around the 25th, i hope.

You should have received an email from me, if you did not then please accept my apologies.

AllI the OM connectors will be in clear, other then the translucent black cables.

Thanks for the review, Christopher, enjoyed reading it.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:
Sorry, but there was a slight delay with my overmoulders, i had found out after i had given the first few who pre ordered a 3 week wait time, The cables should start shipping around the 25th, i hope.

You should have received an email from me, if you did not then please accept my apologies.

AllI the OM connectors will be in clear, other then the translucent black cables.

Thanks for the review, Christopher, enjoyed reading it.

I did not receive an email, but thanks for the update! (Still waiting for my heir audio 8.A's, so even if I received it, I wouldn't be able to use it yet haha)

But I'm very intrigued about the differences as heard by Kunlun and hope that I will be able to differentiate the stock and silver poison cables as well. I will definately post my review when they arrive 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 57
Great read as always. Cannot wait to receive the Silver Poison IEM cable I ordered after having auditioned the "Scorpion". 

I've posted a link to your review in my thread on the Scorpion. The thread can be found here if anyone should be curious about that cable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/615171/the-toxic-cables-scorpion-occ-copper-iem-cable-review

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #14 of 57
Quote:
Great read as always. Cannot wait to receive the Silver Poison IEM cable I ordered after having auditioned the "Scorpion". 

I've posted a link to your review in my thread on the Scorpion. The thread can be found here if anyone should be curious about that cable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/615171/the-toxic-cables-scorpion-occ-copper-iem-cable-review

Awesome.

Quote:
will you be comparing them with other cables? like the silver dragon or the twag cable? 

was wondering how they fare against similar silver cables

We'll see about some comparisons. However, I have two silver cables, an earlier pure silver cable and the original Fortis pure silver cable. Where the Silver Poison beats both of them is usability and sound. The Silver Poison has very nice detail while maintaining great smoothness, that's what sets it apart for me.

Quote:
Thanks for your review man, Added to the Aftermarket IEM cables list in my signature. 

Thanks!

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:
Nice review!  I am waiting for mine to arrive....:)

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. Keep in mind that I let mine burn in 125 hours. I think you'll find that the sound comes alive fully then.
Quote:
How's the microphonics of the cable??

Not even on my radar. Very low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back