REVIEW: The Frogbeats C4...an explosively good custom in ear monitor....SERIOUSLY!
Nov 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #196 of 253
If it is as good as people say, shouldnt Frogbeats be getting more attention? Right now most of it is going towards Heir and before that I noticed the V6 thread being popular.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #197 of 253
If it is as good as people say, shouldnt Frogbeats be getting more attention? Right now most of it is going towards Heir and before that I noticed the V6 thread being popular.

Popularity has little to do with quality.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #198 of 253
Quote:
Popularity has little to do with quality.

But doesn't popularity normally stem from quality? If something is good, it is only natural people would want to buy it.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #199 of 253
Quote:

Every new brand has to be like this at first, that is when they need Innovators to try the products and spread the word-of-mouth for their products to be more and more popular. This is why we have quite a good discount here from David :). You should think of how long Heir Audio and 1964Ears have been in the market.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #200 of 253
Quote:
Every new brand has to be like this at first, that is when they need Innovators to try the products and spread the word-of-mouth for their products to be more and more popular. This is why we have quite a good discount here from David :). You should think of how long Heir Audio and 1964Ears have been in the market.

Ah, true. I forgot that LFF's review was only made this september.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #201 of 253
EveTan said:
.But doesn't popularity normally stem from quality? If something is good, it is only natural people would want to buy it.

It's makes sense, but popularity usually stems from hype, not quality. Also not as many people prefer uncolored sound.

Edit: case in point, the ER-6. I'd bet $50 that they measure better (and sound better) than the C4, yet I'm the only one who ever talks about them.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #202 of 253
Quote:
It's makes sense, but popularity usually stems from hype, not quality. Also not as many people prefer uncolored sound.

Does uncolored sound normally end up with more clarity?

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #204 of 253
Does uncolored sound normally end up with more clarity?

Imo yes but you have to be specific with what part of the frequency range has more clarity. A colored iem with more treble will sound clearer in the treble. A flat iem will maintain clarity throughout the entire range though, and it will have superior tonality and timbre in general. It won't have the artificial clarity that a treble boost provides, but natural and accurate clarity.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #207 of 253
Edit: case in point, the ER-6. I'd bet $50 that they measure better (and sound better) than the C4, yet I'm the only one who ever talks about them.

I'm certain that the er6's sound good for the money (and I quite like the er4 myself), but I find it a stretch to compare ~$1k CIEMs to sub-$100 IEMs. Sure they may sound better to certain people in terms of tonality, but that is subjective and ignores the other qualities such as soundstaging, imaging, micro detail/detail retrieval, fit, etc.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #208 of 253
I'm certain that the er6's sound good for the money (and I quite like the er4 myself), but I find it a stretch to compare ~$1k CIEMs to sub-$100 IEMs. Sure they may sound better to certain people in terms of tonality, but that is subjective and ignores the other qualities suit as soundstaging, imaging, micro detail/detail retrieval, fit, etc.

That's true but imo FR is number one. If the tone is off then not much makes up for it. I'd be really interested in a comparison as I don't think multi driver iems regardless of cost can compete in FR and it's evident in their sound and in how they graph. Are there details evident in a multi driver custom that are left uncovered by the er-6? This is something I'd really like to know. I'd love to hear an example so I can test it myself.

The above is just my theory from what I've heard and from the graphs I've seen. People think cost=quality or accuracy and it's just not the case at all. Workmanship sure, but other benefits disappear with hard evidence.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #209 of 253
By the same token, some people overly treat audiophile-ism as some sort empirical endeavor and forget to enjoy the music. If it sounds good to my ears and allows me to enjoy my music to an even greater degree, I'm happy. And imo that's really what matters at the end of the day.

I'm starting to deviate from the initial purpose of this thread, so I'll shut up now. :)

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #210 of 253
That's true but imo FR is number one. If the tone is off then not much makes up for it. I'd be really interested in a comparison as I don't think multi driver iems regardless of cost can compete in FR and it's evident in their sound and in how they graph. Are there details evident in a multi driver custom that are left uncovered by the er-6? This is something I'd really like to know. I'd love to hear an example so I can test it myself.
The above is just my theory from what I've heard and from the graphs I've seen. People think cost=quality or accuracy and it's just not the case at all. Workmanship sure, but other benefits disappear with hard evidence.

What's missing in the ER6 in terms of details is extension in the subbass and highest treble (past 10k), this can be covered by multi-driver IEMs, a modded UE900 seems to do just that, but it isn't as forward as the ER6 in the midhighs and treble up to 10k, dipping a bit more. I agree, people factor in cost WAY too much into thinking that means the sound quality is going to be that much better. In my experience, price hardly tells you about performance, many sub 100$ IEMs are on par or better than the much more expensive ones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back