REVIEW: The Frogbeats C4...an explosively good custom in ear monitor....SERIOUSLY!
Sep 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #32 of 253
Quote:
Well that's a pretty benign area to have it I think.

I completely agree. Like I said...I can only hear it when running tones.

No matter how hard I try ( and I know it is there!) I can't hear it when playing music. It's an extremely narrow suck out too.

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #33 of 253
It think will actually help stop things from having that analytical, smaller than life feeling IEMs do. I don't think there is a perfect in IEMs but some are clearly better than others and as long as frequency aberrations are benign, there's a bigger picture to worry about. Is the top smooth or does it have a bit of sparkle?

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #34 of 253
Quote:
It think will actually help stop things from having that analytical, smaller than life feeling IEMs do. I don't think there is a perfect in IEMs but some are clearly better than others and as long as frequency aberrations are benign, there's a bigger picture to worry about. Is the top smooth or does it have a bit of sparkle?

Every part of the frequency range is very natural and smooth. There is no brightness or no darkness...there is only what comes from your source. It's amazing that way.

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #35 of 253
Quote:
  TWFK.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
  At around 3600 cycles.

Sounds like it to me. The TWFK is one of the few drivers with a dip at ~3.6-3.7 kHz. That gap is unavoidable, no matter how much tweaking you put into it; Knowles has put a lot of effort into decreasing that gap, and yet it's still present. Then again, I can't be sure, as I haven't heard/seen the C4, obviously. It seems as though these days, Sonion has been making TWFK-esque drivers; I thought for sure that earlier pictures of the C5 showed it used two TWFK units and a CI, but clearly, the C5 product description says it uses Sonion. It's also possible that they're using a ED + WBFK, which would potentially also cause a similar 3.6 kHz suckout. Not that any of this matters, however. As long as it sounds good, it doesn't matter whose company's drivers are used.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #36 of 253
Quote:
Good review, LFF. You seriously have me curious about this IEM. 

David is a class act as well -- wishing him all the best in Frogbeats. 

(BTW, how many people immediately put on Come Together to listen for the pedal click?) 
biggrin.gif

Not yet, but I did just hear the talking in Ray Charles' Over the rainbow through my RE-262s...lol

These things do sound great...now if I could just remember where I hid that huge pile of money so I can get a pair :/

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #37 of 253
Quote:
These things do sound great...now if I could just remember where I hid that huge pile of money so I can get a pair :/

I would try to get a group buy going. Might save people some money.

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #40 of 253
A group buy by December/January sounds nice. I'll have to see how my wallet would be doing during that time, but I think I can make it work for the holidays. Might not be able to get in if people want a more recent timeframe.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #41 of 253
Am I the only one who's interested in the C5? :\
It's between the C4/5, the TG!334 or the Tralucent 1p2 for me...

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #43 of 253
For me, I don't think that even a group buy would bring them down low enough that I'd spring on them. These things run about $1k...way more than I can spend. I am semi-interested in trying customs...if I do I'll probably start off with something from LiveWires since the price (maybe the quality too, but reviews seem good) is a lot lower.

I will say though that I really enjoy and trust your reviews LFF. You are the reason I ended up ordering my FA-002w's and I will say that you were spot on with your review and I can't be happier with the purchase.

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #44 of 253
Quote:

Sounds like it to me. The TWFK is one of the few drivers with a dip at ~3.6-3.7 kHz. That gap is unavoidable, no matter how much tweaking you put into it; Knowles has put a lot of effort into decreasing that gap, and yet it's still present. Then again, I can't be sure, as I haven't heard/seen the C4, obviously. It seems as though these days, Sonion has been making TWFK-esque drivers; I thought for sure that earlier pictures of the C5 showed it used two TWFK units and a CI, but clearly, the C5 product description says it uses Sonion. It's also possible that they're using a ED + WBFK, which would potentially also cause a similar 3.6 kHz suckout. Not that any of this matters, however. As long as it sounds good, it doesn't matter whose company's drivers are used.

Had me thinking the same. Results always matter more than parts. I was just expecting something more unique from the sonic description and price.

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #45 of 253
whats the news on the group buy? if the price is right, i could be in for a high end portable system that can be driven by clip+!! lets us know LFF. btw great review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back