[REVIEW]: The Aurisonics AS-2 15mm Dynamic Driver 2-Balanced Armature Hybrid Custom-Fit Stage Monitor
Jul 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #91 of 97
Does anyone know how these compare to the UM Merlin? I am considering one of the two for my first CIEM but finding someone who has both, or at least heard both of them, is proving difficult. From what I have read about these two they seem to have similar sound sigs and are available for similar prices (the AS-2 is a little more expensive but nothing major), so I'm having a hard time deciding between them.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #92 of 97
Does anyone know how these compare to the UM Merlin? I am considering one of the two for my first CIEM but finding someone who has both, or at least heard both of them, is proving difficult. From what I have read about these two they seem to have similar sound sigs and are available for similar prices (the AS-2 is a little more expensive but nothing major), so I'm having a hard time deciding between them.

I had the Merlin but its been a while. I currently have the AS-2 but it's with Aurisonics for adjustments. So any comparisons I can give you are strictly from memory. Also you can check my sig for my complete Merlin review.

The Merlin is more sub bass focused, with really good deep rumble. The AS-2 is more mid bass focused in comparison, giving it more bass impact. The Merlin highs are thinner than the AS-2 and airier. The AS-2 highs are weightier and have more presence and better realism. Both have very good midranges. I'd say the AS-2's may sound a bit more natural and transparent with a hint of dryness. The Merlin midrange was a good combination or liquidity and sweetness. Vocals are great on both.

Overall the Merlin is a darker iem and I like the tonal balance of the AS-2 a little better.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #93 of 97
Quote:
I had the Merlin but its been a while. I currently have the AS-2 but it's with Aurisonics for adjustments. So any comparisons I can give you are strictly from memory. Also you can check my sig for my complete Merlin review.

The Merlin is more sub bass focused, with really good deep rumble. The AS-2 is more mid bass focused in comparison, giving it more bass impact. The Merlin highs are thinner than the AS-2 and airier. The AS-2 highs are weightier and have more presence and better realism. Both have very good midranges. I'd say the AS-2's may sound a bit more natural and transparent with a hint of dryness. The Merlin midrange was a good combination or liquidity and sweetness. Vocals are great on both.

Overall the Merlin is a darker iem and I like the tonal balance of the AS-2 a little better.

Thanks for your impressions, they're most helpful. Would you say the AS-2 is neutral or just less dark than the Merlin? Also would you say the highs on either of them are sibilant? I generally prefer a warmer sound signature with slightly rolled off highs as I am quite sensitive to sibilance, particularly when it comes to IEMs.

Also, how would you compare the soundstaging abilities of the two?

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #94 of 97
No the AS-2 isn't neutral, it's just less dark than the Merlin. Neither have issues with sibilance.

I can't remember much about the AS-2 soundstage at this point. I didn't have them too long before I sent them back in for adjustment. The Merlin soundstage is upfront with excellent height and very good depth and width.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #96 of 97
Glad it doesn't apply to me, I have enough IEMs to worry about lol.

Nice to see them still working on different tunings and doing something for their main demographic with this new "2" model. What sounds like a sturdier design is always welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back