[REVIEW] TDK Life in Record's EB950, BA100, BA200, and ST700 - Serious Business.
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #16 of 62
Hey ClieOS,

It seems to me that you like EB950 the most out of BA100 and EB950. Can you please compare both of them in terms of Sound Signature? Also how would you compare them with Sunrise X-IE?

From your reviews and score on the front page, it seems that all three of them are quite same in terms of SS but still I would like to know in person to person about them.

TIA

As far as BA100 goes, it is really plain and a bit uninspiring because of the lack of dynamic and overall energy in presentation. Even with the low online price, it is still overshadowed by quite a few better sounding single BA out there. EB950's main strength is on the presentation. Technically not as strong, but the fun factor and musicality make up for its shortcoming. It has the kind of sound you want to dance with, so it is not the best for those you are listening for detail and technicality. X-IE on the other hand is all about warm, lower end texture and sweetness in vocal. It is more of a smooth sound with a sense of maturity in it, which is contrast to the more fun sounding EB950.

EB950 and X-IE are fairly close in SQ, neither is going to outshine the other by any mean. You are mostly choosing between a fun presentation and a smooth presentation. BA100 on the other hand is just not on the same level.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 62
@ClieOS

Thank you
beerchug.gif
. That's a great comparison and description you told me. So which single BA IEM can overshadow the BA100?

So EB950 and X-IE are fairly close to the SQ, it is just because of the the SS which one will buy from both of them.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 62
@ClieOS

...So which single BA IEM can overshadow the BA100?

Fischer Audio SBA-03 and Phonak Audeo PFE022 Perfect Bass will be my choice over BA100 for roughly around $100.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 62
Quote:
Fischer Audio SBA-03 and Phonak Audeo PFE022 Perfect Bass will be my choice over BA100 for roughly around $100.

But both of them are quite costly than the BA100 and keeping this in mind so BA100 is a very good IEM and more VFM?

Am I right?

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #20 of 62
How does the BA200 unamped compare to the RE262 amped? I am looking for IEMs that sound like the RE262 without an amp. They share a similar soundsig, at least that is what I can make up out of your reviews and the concise thread.
Are the mids at the same level? Bass-wise I am easily satiesfied, but like the treble to be a bit airy, even hot.

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 62
How does the BA200 unamped compare to the RE262 amped? I am looking for IEMs that sound like the RE262 without an amp. They share a similar soundsig, at least that is what I can make up out of your reviews and the concise thread.
Are the mids at the same level? Bass-wise I am easily satiesfied, but like the treble to be a bit airy, even hot.

I don't know another IEM that sounds like an amped RE262. If there is one, it is not BA200. The magic about RE262, IMO, is its euphonic presentation over the mid. BA200, though sounds more lively than UM3X, is still very much like a stage monitor. Technically I'll say BA200 is more accurate than RE262, and it is perfectly fine without an amp (probably due to the impedance stabilizing circuit). But it doesn't have an euphonic presentation. It doesn't seem like it is the IEM you are looking for.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #22 of 62
Just want to confirm that TDK EB950 and EB900 are indeed two totally different sounding IEM as I have the chance to A/B both this afternoon. In fact, EB900 isn't comparable to EB950 in any way but the look. All I can say about it is it sounds way too bass and muddy, not really worth the price when EB950 doesn't even cost that much more.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:
I have heard that TDK BA200 is selling for HKD1000 (USD 120 approx) or so in Hong Kong... Will this be an over the top bang for the buck? 

Sounds like. I got mine in Singapore for SGD158 (about USD124) but they were on promo.

If it's true, then lucky HKers :)

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #25 of 62
As said in my own thread, I have got my own pair of BA200s. I have spent hours listening to it, definitely quite a huge leap I guess from my entry level Grado SR80s and SE215s. The Hong Kong MSRP is actually similar to how Ultimate Ears price their products over here. Triple Fi with 3 armature speakers costs HKD2000 in HK so indeed BA200 with 2 speakers at 1250 dollars is quite proportional. The magic is that BA200 with 2 units somehow stands up well against UM3x or even W4s. Personally, I listened to UM3X/Triple Fi/535 at shop but haven't got a chance to AB my TDK against those. But then Etys always has single armature only but certainly their flagship is well recognized. Maybe it is not always about no of BA units. 
o2smile.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #27 of 62
Great price, though we need more of them over to the West.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #28 of 62
Quote:
Great price, though we need more of them over to the West.

Indeed even in HK it is kinda sold out in small shops in computer malls. But I think that in HMV Hong Kong it should be quite adequately stocked as I visited branches in both Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay having several units on the shelf. HMV sells at slighly less bargain price of USD150 though. I have been kinda restricted to Shure SE535s in my goal for the greatest IEMs. Definitely I am reluctant to use $400 IEMs when I felt scared enough about losing my SE215s in a particular episode. I know that Triple Fi is some sort of bargain taking account of its brand value but it is overpriced here at HK MSRP of $2000(approx USD 250). Then I somehow read about how awesome BA200s are and I think I can't go wrong at the price of USD150. I have never really noticed less known models such as DBA02, RE272, GR01 until now. I just read over at Mingo (a dedicated headphone retailer in HK) they sell Re272 at USD250. For DBA02 I gotta order online when I am not into waiting forever for shipment... I consider that there are no other options as bang for the buck as getting BA200s for me.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Indeed even in HK it is kinda sold out in small shops in computer malls. But I think that in HMV Hong Kong it should be quite adequately stocked as I visited branches in both Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay having several units on the shelf. HMV sells at slighly less bargain price of USD150 though. I have been kinda restricted to Shure SE535s in my goal for the greatest IEMs. Definitely I am reluctant to use $400 IEMs when I felt scared enough about losing my SE215s in a particular episode. I know that Triple Fi is some sort of bargain taking account of its brand value but it is overpriced here at HK MSRP of $2000(approx USD 250). Then I somehow read about how awesome BA200s are and I think I can't go wrong at the price of USD150. I have never really noticed less known models such as DBA02, RE272, GR01 until now. I just read over at Mingo (a dedicated headphone retailer in HK) they sell Re272 at USD250. For DBA02 I gotta order online when I am not into waiting forever for shipment... I consider that there are no other options as bang for the buck as getting BA200s for me.

Hongkonger here. I'm wondering if any of the shops allow you to audition the BA200? I've traced down a headphone shop in Mong Kok that sells the BA200, but they don't seem to allow you to audition it.

Also, has anyone tried both the BA200 and GR07? I find the GR07 performs pretty decent for the price, but I'm still interested in how the BA200 compares to the GR07, with the alluring price and glowing reviews here.

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #30 of 62
Quote:
Hongkonger here. I'm wondering if any of the shops allow you to audition the BA200? I've traced down a headphone shop in Mong Kok that sells the BA200, but they don't seem to allow you to audition it.

Also, has anyone tried both the BA200 and GR07? I find the GR07 performs pretty decent for the price, but I'm still interested in how the BA200 compares to the GR07, with the alluring price and glowing reviews here.

I don't think there are any shops in HK that let you audition it. I asked a particular shop in Wanchai Computer Centre whether they carried it I was told it was all sold. They said the retailer had limited supply. I am guessing that shops don't bother with letting people audition it as all units will soon be sold out anyway. Mingo sells Brainwavz B2 at HKD1400 or so but I didn't ask if I could audition it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back