REVIEW: Sylvania SMP 2012 mp3 player (Updated)
Nov 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

danielghofrani

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys.
I am NOT an audio expert, I am an instrumentalist. What I am stating about the device is only my opinion. please pardon my N00bness
normal_smile .gif

I used to have an 8GB ipod nano and I was pretty happy with it but it got stolen.
I decided to buy a cheap mp3 player for now and I decided upon the 15$ Sylvania SMP 2012.
Build Quality:
this player feels extremely cheap when you hold it in your hand. it looks like a fake second hand toy.
however the black parts are made of metal and it has a very sturdy metal clip at the back.
Features:
this player comes with a crappy (but not dollar store crappy) pair of earbuds, usb cable and a guarantee paper. 
it has about 4 hours of playback (mp3 music, medium volume) and it has a capacity of 2GB. it obviously does not have a screen. the player will only play your songs in a list. you cant shuffle them.  it plays mp3 and a few other formats but I would not count on it on those! (you dont want to listen to .flac on a 2GB player do you!?)
Sound Quality:
the SQ of this mp3 player is actually VERY impressive. with a pair of Shure SRH 840 it sounds really nice! good amount of bass for pop music. staging is fine. When I listen to "Rigoletto" I can hear the singers move on stage. it sounds as nice as my 160$ ipod! it can drive the SRH 840 headphones to uncomfortably loud volumes.(does not need tge Fiio E3 amplifier, it does not change the SQ). however this is only true with the Shure headphones, the stock headphones are like the ones you get in airplane. I dont know the Signal to Noise Ratio of the THD+N values for this, and I would not really trust the manufacturer. their specification paper looked like a 3rd graders journal. This thing has very low hiss noise.
Value:  This device is a beast at 15CAD$ with their stock headphones! if you just want an mp3 player with reasonable audio quality and tiny size to work out with(like me), this is Perfect. just a list of routine songs for your 1 hour treadmill workout. totally worth it!

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 7
I gave this a listen again with my friends ATH-AD700 headphones(no amp and fiio e3)
The sound comes more natural than with the Shure headphones. there is not quite as much bass (the most amount of bass comes with Shure headphones and the amp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back