[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Nov 21, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #271 of 911
You can order it from here:

http://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd681_b.htm

I ordered there a houndred times, very good and fast, good service! The cheapest way to get the luxes in europe i guess. I think they ship to everywhere.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #273 of 911
  Yeah, was just looking at that site.  It's like $30+ to ship to the States though.  Total is like $60+ usd.

Then buy the 681 EVO instead, same price (include shipping), better comfort, better build quality, better looking, sound quality at the same level but without the harshness of stock old 681 (with light mod, no need soldering skill)

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #274 of 911
or... buy HD-330 if you are not going to mod anything :wink: Imho best choice if you consider comfort/price/stock sound.
27€ @ thomann

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #275 of 911
Just purchased some 681s (Red) and i'm now reading the black has a better soundstage? Has someone compared all of them? Red/black681 and the white/black EVOs? on amazon they're all less than 45, and i'd like to get another pair. I'm super impressed the reds that I have now, but the highs seem a bit harsh. is it different with each dolor? 

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #276 of 911
With old HD-681 series - they all have harsh trebles. With EVO - they also have harsh trebles but they are mainly removed by felt in front of driver that also makes them littlebit "muffled" ...as far as I have read.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #278 of 911
With old HD-681 series those drivers look same and cans are built same way but the sound is different. With EVO - I`m not so sure what to think. Some say they are same drivers as old series but they "fixed" those harsh trebles with felt material in front of driver. I believe they are still different drivers but no-one exactly knows, sound could be also affected from how those cans are built and that also makes difference.
There has to be pure driver vs. driver comparsion with same housing to get the answer imho.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #279 of 911
The three old 681s using the same driver and sound only different by bass level, everything else is the same. The new 681 EVO using different driver compare to old 681 and it's much less harsh, even after remove the felt, treble energy is lower than old 681 by about 5db.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #280 of 911
sound only different by bass level, everything else is the same

No, soundstage size is also different and it`s not only bass level, also bass tightness, kick, detail and maybe some more little nuances. Maybe you and your setup could only make difference in bass level but if your read other comments from internet you can see that they are different in many aspects and I also confirm this.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #281 of 911
  No, soundstage size is also different and it`s not only bass level, also bass tightness, kick, detail and maybe some more little nuances. Maybe you and your setup could only make difference in bass level but if your read other comments from internet you can see that they are different in many aspects and I also confirm this.

Yes, they are. Here is the FR of the three measured by Superlux

When bass level is lower, the perception of other frequency is also affected, you can hear mid, high more clear so you think it's more detail, soundstage seem to be more open. Lower bass also make it tighter, faster, that's very easy to hear, the first time i finished my filter with jumper to switch between different bass and treble level, i set bass to lowest and feel it's near perfect, just need a little bit level then i switch to next level then listen - What, where did the tightness, attack go, the whole sound is muffle, treble seem less extend. I re-check to make sure i didn't touch the high switch and it's still there. I have listened to the 681B and i can tell it's a little bit cleaner with less bass, that's all, there is not much different and , Frans also agree on that.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #282 of 911
I stick with my own opinion. Not one of those guys who looks only graphs and think it`s absolute truth. And that`s the thing, you can`t just say bass is only thing that is different. With one thing you change other things and that changes everything. Even if your brain just thinks it`s larger soundstage or something - whats wrong with that? Why to go against what you hear? Are you listening graphs on the paper or what you actually hear? Guess it`s everyone own decision what to "listen" or belive in audio world. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back